What is considered bad form? (Pirate Code or Game Rules)

• Title. Is camping an outpost and stealing from players when they land considered bad form? Only because ive just lost 10k worth of gold from 2 guys camping Morrows Peak outpost. They were howling like apes down the mic and just generally griefing. I get the game is sea of thieves, and I understand completely it is part of the game. but wasting time and game hours to lose it all to 2 apes isn't the best selling point. Love the game. its sick. Id just rather not get knocked back down the hill and have to climb it again

Views
  • Be more careful and watchful when approaching outposts to sell goods? Mermaids are a good indicator. Make alliances with other crews, find and crew up with other players. Hand in your hard earned goods in a more sneaky fashion.

It seems silly to complain that in a game called Sea of Thieves that there are Thieves in the game who are using effective tactics to...steal stuff.

• I'd also point out a very common theme with players losing loot to other players.

They claim losing hours worth of work.

How about cashing your loot more frequently? Why wait hours of play time? Take five minutes here and there to cash in, that way if you do get ambushed and lose a battle, the cost is minimal.

• @walperr little and often is so true

• @methetron-mkii said in What is considered bad form? (Pirate Code or Game Rules):

@walperr little and often is so true

I always cash in frequently. Never more than a few thousand at a time, otherwise you're just asking for trouble. Heck, the game could crash for all you know.

The only time I'll hoard a lot of loot before cashing in is if I'm with a good crew who knows how to really defend, sail and keep a look out for enemies. And also having an understanding that carrying a lot of loot at once is risky business.

And most importantly, remembering it's a game about having fun. Not getting ticked off because someone 'stole' a few computer numbers you and your fellow crew.

• @chrysa1is said in What is considered bad form? (Pirate Code or Game Rules):

Title. Is camping an outpost and stealing from players when they land considered bad form? Only because ive just lost 10k worth of gold from 2 guys camping Morrows Peak outpost. They were howling like apes down the mic and just generally griefing. I get the game is sea of thieves, and I understand completely it is part of the game. but wasting time and game hours to lose it all to 2 apes isn't the best selling point. Love the game. its sick. Id just rather not get knocked back down the hill and have to climb it again

If you mean bad form as in some unwritten rules that we abide by, or should abide by. Here they are.

Bad forms - Killing, harassing, and trolling your OWN crew mates.

This is the only form of griefing in this game.

Greifing in this game is only possible by a player messing with their own crew mates. Thats it.

Some one camping an island, someone spawn camping you, someone being verbally abusive. These are not greifing.

Every one of the things that happens is completely in your control.

Someone verbally abusive and says some vulgar things? - Get your recorder set up. Get a picture or record the name. Report them. Then mute them. Your control

Someone spawn camping you? - Scuttle your boat. Anytime you decide to respawn, that is YOU, YOURSELF, deciding that you want to try and fight back. If you are losing and dying over and over and over and you keep respawning, then you being spawn camped is your fault. Scuttle your boat and you end the spawn camp. The enemy can only spawn camp you if you decide to let it keep happening.

Someone camping an island? - Look for mermaids, check for people. You go in there thinking your safe is again your fault.

Unless its from a player in your own crew, there is no such thing as griefing or "bad form" in this game.

Bad form implies rules made up by other people that I should follow. I follow my own rules and I don't care about anyone elses.

• @chrysa1is
    Unless they were swearing at you, it's valid gameplay. And you can mute the mic for that. The pirate code is mainly for chat and keeping things I game, and also to not troll your crew.

• @chrysa1is The same thing happened to me and my son. We were playing and there was a Galleon at the fort and we go to cash in our mercenary quest loot, but they follow us so we get everything onto the rowboat and they shoot a crew member at the rowboat and kill us. I really wish there would be a feature like where when you reach an outpost no one can attack you or non-PVP servers. We just really hate it when you loose hours of work to a bunch of crapy people who just want to annoy everyone. (OH AND DID I MENTION ITS THE SECOND TIME TODAY. THESE THINGS HAPPEN REALLY OFTEN)

• @fitt75 said in What is considered bad form? (Pirate Code or Game Rules):
    >We just really hate it when you loose hours of work

You and everyone who complains about PvP or asks for safe spaces or even PvE servers always say that phrase.

Hours of work.

If you have hours of loot on your boat, that means you spent HOURS of no one bothering you. Which means you had plenty of opportunities to safely turn in your loot, you just decided not to. Not to mention, HOURS would imply that you had plenty of game time spent being completely safe. You are basically complaining about something that happens only maybe once every 4 hours you play. That is less than a skeleton ship, meg, or even Kraken spawn rate.

So if you want to be technical about it, you are harassed less by PvP players than you are PvE encounters.

• Played for 9 hours yesterday both as a duo and solo sloop, and never once got attacked by players. My friend and I turned loot in on average every 30 minutes and made well over 100k in gold from our loot. My point? You can too!

Bad form, IMO = team-killing/sinking; wasting supplies; dumping loot; going AFK randomly/often; never moving off of wheel/capstan/sails; steering ship into rocks/islands/etc.; vulgar language over game chat.

Views
7 out of 10