Missing or Corrupt DLL File, Reinstall Did Not Fix.

• On PC, my friend's Sea of Thieves would not boot properly due to an error stating, "Missing or corrupt DLL that is required for the game to run. This may be caused by a corrupt installation." She has already tried reinstalling multiple times along with rebooting her computer. She opened a ticket a day ago and hasn't gotten a reply, can anyone please help us?alt text

Views
  • @boardbeard I'm having the same issue. The MS Store download seems to not be downloading the full game (only about 20MB) and then on start up I get that error message. Reinstalling just reinstalls the 20MBs.

• @grundlenuggs said in Missing or Corrupt DLL File, Reinstall Did Not Fix.:

@boardbeard I'm having the same issue. The MS Store download seems to not be downloading the full game (only about 20MB) and then on start up I get that error message. Reinstalling just reinstalls the 20MBs.

If you're getting a 20 MB download for the game file, this is a Microsoft Store issue that you need to bring up with them ASAP. The initial download should be a few Gigs to say the least. The Day 1 download for me was over 8 GB, so what you are getting is definitely not correct.

• @boardbeard said in Missing or Corrupt DLL File, Reinstall Did Not Fix.:

On PC, my friend's Sea of Thieves would not boot properly due to an error stating, "Missing or corrupt DLL that is required for the game to run. This may be caused by a corrupt installation." She has already tried reinstalling multiple times along with rebooting her computer. She opened a ticket a day ago and hasn't gotten a reply, can anyone please help us?alt text

You'll need to follow this up with the MS Store Support. It sounds like the store is processing incomplete downloads.

• @oneeyed-w1lliam I am having the same problem with my girlfriend's game. Contacting microsoft support did nothing. They said the only way they could help is by "remote desktop control" which is super sketchy and also not true.

• @boardbeard Have you gotten it to work at all?

• @roarinorin67 said in Missing or Corrupt DLL File, Reinstall Did Not Fix.:

@oneeyed-w1lliam I am having the same problem with my girlfriend's game. Contacting microsoft support did nothing. They said the only way they could help is by "remote desktop control" which is super sketchy and also not true.

That is sketchy as hell. There is definitely a way to help without RDC

• @oneeyed-w1lliam Out of desperation I let them take control. Looks like they did a reinstall of Windows thinking it would work... still 20 MBs on the download and the same error message.

• @grundlenuggs smh...really Microsoft????

• Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I've had the insider for a while now and it just updated this morning 4gig download but when i start the game i get this message instantly. I see reinstalling doesn't help so i don't really want to start over again for the fourth time.

• Bumping older threads is against the forum rules so I have to lock this thread. Having said that, I know this sort of technical issue can be really frustrating - DLL errors in particular can be very difficult to pin down because of how different everyone's hardware and software environments can be.

I'm not tech support but I would suggest a couple of things to try in addition to filing a new support ticket:

1. Update drivers for any hardware that might be related to the DLL error. I know personally this has been the cause of many DLL errors I've encountered in the past on my own gaming desktop. I once had a game refuse to run and present a DLL error when all that had happened was I'd gotten a new automated Catalyst update for my ATI graphics card.

2. Run the sfc/scannow command to replace any missing or incorrect operating system related DLL files.

3. Apply any available Windows Updates.

I sincerely hope this helps!

Views
6 out of 11