Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem

• Anyone else see the irony in Rare pushing PVP so much in this game, when they know there is a cheating epidemic? I honestly don't understand their thinking on this. It's like they are sabotaging their own game.

Rare brags that 40 million copies of SOT are sold, yet only about 10K players log in each week. That's .00025% . That is a staggeringly abysmal retention rate for any game.

Clearly this game is failing in holding onto players

Views
  • Mainly just the BB lately.

Wrong decision overall for the patch imo but it's pvp leaning content. It's fair to have pvp leaning content sometimes.

HG is something that needs participation to work.

Mainly pvp is just unpleasant for a lot of people because of performance and metas but it's been that way for years.

They've been flooding SoT with pve reward for the last year so it's not like there isn't something for most people.

I still think post season 8 pvp is FAR healthier than pre-season 8 pvp, overall.

I played entirely as someone that defended through it all, pre-season 8 pvp was awful for risk/reward smaller crew scenarios. The game is way better now even for pvp with cheating/exploiting.

There is less pressure now which makes a huge difference for underdogs in pvp.

Exceptions are the obvious, HG play on low population stamps and people being targeted.

• @wolfmanbush said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

Mainly pvp is just unpleasant for a lot of people because of performance and metas but it's been that way for years.

So don't bother improving it...... got it. My thought is PVP may be unpleasant for a large majority of players, but clearly there is a smaller group that relishes sinking everyone

They've been flooding SoT with pve reward for the last year so it's not like there isn't something for most people.

I do appreciate Rare doing this, it has been what's kept me logging in

I still think post season 8 pvp is FAR healthier than pre-season 8 pvp, overall.

yea, at least we don"t have kegs dropping on our boats randomly anymore, but all I have to do is play HG for an hour and I usually get a clip of some cheater shananigans

• @gunnner1 said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

@wolfmanbush said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

So don't bother improving it...... got it. My thought is PVP may be unpleasant for a large majority of players, but clearly there is a smaller group that relishes sinking everyone

They've come a long way since season 8. Not perfect, there is repeating history in there sometimes, like blocking off the BB from turning in with ships nearby.

They try and succeed in a lot of ways.

It's frustrating and season 13 is a pretty low morale season but there are highs and there are lows.

They do alright. We are pretty fortunate that they still truly address some of this stuff in real ways, overall the effort leads to more pros than cons for adventure. Especially players that are just starting out.

Would be nice to see a lot of the day to day bugs fixed for main features and exploits fixed quicker on stuff like the launches but that's just how it goes.

• It's a PvPvE game. I honestly wish they'd push more PVP.. just in it's own modes, to expand past only naval PVP in HG.

• @gunnner1 said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

Anyone else see the irony in Rare pushing PVP so much in this game, when they know there is a cheating epidemic? I honestly don't understand their thinking on this. It's like they are sabotaging their own game.

Rare brags that 40 million copies of SOT are sold, yet only about 10K players log in each week. That's .00025% . That is a staggeringly abysmal retention rate for any game.

yet only about 10K players log in each week.

And where are you finding the population numbers?

I honestly don't understand their thinking on this.

Their thinking is that they have anti-cheat and they action on player reports; Literally all any game can do.
    Unless you know of some way to detect cheats that bypass anti-cheat? Because if so; You could become rich.

• @gunnner1

Rare brags that 40 million copies of SOT are sold, yet only about 10K players log in each week.

Based on your Steam charts accounting for about 10-20% of the playerbase right? Forgot that small detail to make your point. Don’t worry though, I’ve got you covered.

;)

Anyone else see the irony in Rare pushing PVP so much in this game, when they know there is a cheating epidemic? I honestly don't understand their thinking on this. It's like they are sabotaging their own game.

You might need to retake your math exam; 10k of 40 million would be 0.025 %, also not a very high number, but last month there were more than 400k players who raised a Gold Hoarder emissary flag and turned something in (and in the first 9 days of this month more than 88k did this). You might also have to look into what you use as a source for your stats of current players.

• @guildar9194

There is tons that they could do stop cheater in HG.

Put a sweaty requirement on being able to do HG, that way cheaters that have been banned have to grind before being able to use their cheats for HG again.

Permanently hardware ban cheaters to deter others from doing the same.

Saying "Oh they are doing all they can" is a bold-faced lie.

Rare hasn't done ANYTHING to address the serious health and safety issues that comes with these hackers making themselves invincible and explaining in great detail how they would do unspeakable things to other players.

They have done nothing to address the funny launch using a fishing rod that is literally being used in every HG match I have had over the last week and a half.

Rare hasn't done ANYTHING to address the issues, they shoved their fingers in their ears and said "blah blah blah".

• @goofycs-811 said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

@guildar9194

There is tons that they could do stop cheater in HG.

Put a sweaty requirement on being able to do HG, that way cheaters that have been banned have to grind before being able to use their cheats for HG again.

Saying "Oh they are doing all they can" is a bold-faced lie.

Rare hasn't done ANYTHING to address the serious health and safety issues that comes with these hackers making themselves invincible and explaining in great detail how they would do unspeakable things to other players.

They have done nothing to address the funny launch using a fishing rod that is literally being used in every HG match I have had over the last week and a half.

Rare hasn't done ANYTHING to address the issues, they shoved their fingers in their ears and said "blah blah blah".

But they can cheat past the requirement. All this does is prevent legitimate players from getting into HG, thus shrinking the pool, thus making it more likely to find cheaters.

I agree with this one.

Rare hasn't done ANYTHING

They added anti-cheat . So your statement is, as you say 'a bold-faced lie'.

They have done nothing to address the funny launch using a fishing rod that is literally being used in every HG match I have had over the last week and a hal

Crud Launching. And I get the feeling it's a glitch baked into the version of Unreal Engine they are using. If it were an easy fix; They would have fixed it by now.
    It's not like they can wave a magic wand to fix bugs, and are just saying 'Nah, I don't feel like it right now'.

And here you are just incorrect. Unless you somehow know exactly what Rare employees are doing in their offices?
    Do you really think they are just ignoring problems just because you don't see them fixed as fast as you want? 😂

• They've always had to push pvp.

• @guildar9194

They added anti-cheat which was bypassed within less than a week, that isn't addressing the issue.

What have they done since EAC has been bypassed?

Oh, that's right! NOTHING.

Try again, buddy.

What has Rare said when publicly made aware of threats to people's health and safety?

NOTHING!

There are tons of way they could address hackers evading bans, mobile phone verification for example. Disproving one example I gave off the top of my head and thinking you "won" an argument is ridiculous.

• @guildar9194

In regards to your last statement, I KNOW that Rare and their community managers have been needlessly banning players from forums and support services for voicing valid concerns.

That is Rare LITERALLY sticking their fingers in their ears are saying "blah blah blah".

[Mod Edit]

Any normal company that actually cared about these issues would have addressed them the second this was brought to their public attention, but not Rare.

• @guildar9194

I don't think you understand that Rare is enabling these hackers to behave in this way by not publicly speaking out against it or addressing in any other way, shape or form.

That is on Rare, no one else.

They are actively enabling this behaviour by not addressing it, and they haven't addressed it hence why if you go on Twitter and look at any one of their posts you will see people mention it and still no one from Rare has said a peep about it.

• @guildar9194

But that's cool.

[Mod Edit]

• @goofycs-811 said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

@guildar9194

They added anti-cheat which was bypassed within less than a week, that isn't addressing the issue.

Try again, buddy.

What has Rare said when publicly made aware of threats to people's health and safety?

NOTHING!

There are tons of way they could address hackers evading bans, mobile phone verification for example. Disproving one example I gave off the top of my head and thinking you "won" an argument is ridiculous.

All anti-cheat gets bypassed. And then it gets updated. Then bypassed again.
    No anti-cheat is 100% flawless, and *NONE, BAR NONE can catch cheats before players report them.
    Because, you see, programs aren't sentient. They can't catch an cheat program they have not been updated to catch. Which means player reports. Wild, huh?

Updating it to catch more cheaters.

Wrong. But keep screaming.

Try again, buddy.

No need. All you're doing is flailing because you don't understand how anti-cheats work & expect a flawless solution.

First I'm hearing of this.

There are tons of way they could address hackers evading bans, mobile phone verification for example

Not everyone has a mobile phone.
    Blizzard tried this and faced massive backlash. So your idea is not as great as you think.

Disproving one example I gave off the top of my head and thinking you "won" an argument is ridiculous.

Nowhere did I say I 'won' an argument. I just pointed out flaws in your yelling.
    Also; You can edit posts, rather than pinging me 4 times to continue to scream.

• @goofycs-811 Just passing by to say...

No user EVER has been banned from this forum who was legitimately raising concerns about hackers, cheaters, exploiters or harassers.

It simply is not true!

As you were...

• Anyone else see the irony in Rare pushing PVP so much in this game

Where is the push being made here? If there is no Risk why should there be reward. And the game is created for PvpvE, Not PvE with a hint of PvP.

Rare brags that 40 million copies of SOT are sold, yet only about 10K players log in each week.

Which plateform?

• @musicmee

Sure man,you guys disguises It as insulting behavior/aggressive and some other stuff. I have proof of some guy banned when they added EAC FOR SAYING THAT DOESNT MEAN NO CHEATERS.

Drop the act and stop toxic positivity behavior;the playerbase Is dwindling by your own actions.

• @gunnner1 a lot of cheaters in solo queue especially at night European time, after I only do a few duos or other to realize the problem, but in solo the aimbot, canon/anchor teleport, the guys who teleport to the roof instantly at each appearance, the guys with barrels etc are really a pollution in solo queue :) there are a lot of them at certain times and of all nationalities... xd

• @celuikilisaecon

Cheaters are in every server theres no specifica time,some start to teleport inside your cannons when they are about to lose;some Just spam messages about being banned while they spawncamp you outside of hourglass

The fact Is that RARE Is already banning trough hardware,so they are doing a very good job and this Is Just a hopeless situation. Peoples uses some spoofs to get around the hwid ban.

• @il-truth-li said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

@musicmee

Sure man,you guys disguises It as insulting behavior/aggressive and some other stuff. I have proof of some guy banned when they added EAC FOR SAYING THAT DOESNT MEAN NO CHEATERS.

Drop the act and stop toxic positivity behavior;the playerbase Is dwindling by your own actions.

Do you have any proof that the playerbase is dropping? And no; Steam is not the entire playerbase. Nor even a majority.
    Why not show your proof that someone was banned improperly? How do you know they did not say something worse that was then deleted by a mod alongside the ban?

• @guildar9194

Its not hard to see playerbase dropping,unless you decide to be blind, then its not dropping everything is fine no worries.

Peoples cant discuss bans on forum,you didnt know that? You dont know that topics get closed?

• @il-truth-li I promise you its no act, there is no script, there is no cover up... especially on the sides of Mods and CMs who are here to keep you informed and safe.

Sorry you feel so very different.

• @il-truth-li said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

@guildar9194

Its not hard to see playerbase dropping,unless you decide to be blind, then its not dropping everything is fine no worries.

Peoples cant discuss bans on forum,you didnt know that? You dont know that topics get closed?

People who don't have proof frequently say 'Just open your eyes!' or 'Look for it yourself!'
    So I ask again; Do. You. Have. Proof?
    Because we don't have player numbers, so I don't see how your proof could be anything more than 'Trust me, bro'.

If you so clearly KNOW that the population is dropping; Show me. Show me hard proof that is not just you thinking the numbers are dropping so you can doompost.

• @guildar9194

U really cant google and you really wanna embarass yourself? OK.

U talk about proof there you go,usually this reflect other platforms because its the overall trend, not a plot exclusive to steam.

Now,why do YOU show us any proof of the opposite?

@guildar9194

U really cant google and you really wanna embarass yourself? OK.

U talk about proof there you go,usually this reflect other platforms because its the overall trend, not a plot exclusive to steam.

1. Steam charts is not the 'trend' of every game that exists on it. It's literally a minority of this game's playerbase; Most play it though Xbox game pass.
      So congrats on being wrong there.

1. Ah yes; Show you proof that the game is not dying. Because proving a negative is always possible! Rofl.
      And again; We don't have the proper numbers. Only your incorrect Steam Charts.

So your entire argument is dishonest; Using a tiny subsection to 'prove' your claim, then demanding I prove a negative, while knowing that's impossible.
    Nah. I know know to not try playing that bunk.

Come back when you have real proof. As in the numbers from the entire population of the game. Not a tiny fraction that backs up your claims. That's called 'cherry picking the data'.
    The game could leave Steam tomorrow, and it would not be dead:

1. Xbox One
    2. Game Pass
    3. Xbox Series X/S
    4. Playstation 5

So tell me again how 1/5th (Steam being the 5th platform) of the platforms is somehow endemic of the entire game's population?
    Oh right; It's not.

• @guildar9194

[Mod edit] Do you even read what are you saying?

So steam users are dropping and other platforms are raising? Why? Can you explain It to all of us mr knowledge asking data without the ability to read? (And providing actual evidence like I DID). You dont have any data and based on that you keep saying everything Is fine,how pityfull.

Why dont you "CHERRY PICK" the opposite?

Keep banging your head on the Wall [Mod edit]

@guildar9194

[Mod edit] Do you even read what are you saying?

So steam users are dropping and other platforms are raising? Why? Can you explain It to all of us mr knowledge asking data without the ability to read? (And providing actual evidence like I DID). You dont have any data and based on that you keep saying everything Is fine,how pityfull.

Why dont you "CHERRY PICK" the opposite?

Keep banging your head on the Wall [Mod edit]

So steam users are dropping and other platforms are raising?

I'm pointing out that Steam users dropping does not mean every platform is dropping.
    I'm pointing out that Steam users dropping is literally 1 platform out of 5, and that makes it too small a sample-size. Unless you're just looking for confirmation bias.
    I'm pointing out that your 'data' is a tiny subsection that does not prove anything.
    I'm pointing out that I can't prove a negative because I, unlike you, understand that we have a very small part of the data.

All you've done is decide the game is dying, find data for 1 platform out of 5 that confirms what you want, and now think 'Prove me wrong by proving a negative!' is somehow a valid counter argument.
    You know full well I can't 'prove you wrong' because

1. I can't prove a negative.
    2. That would involve population data for 4 platforms that do not share that data.
      Yet you seem to think that the data being hidden means it does not exist, and that you magically win be default.

Have fun doomposting. Just know that your data point is too small to prove what you want, which makes your argument wrong.
    Steam going down in numbers does not mean every platform is going down in numbers.

Edit: To put it another way:
    What if, when SoT hit Steam in 2020, it launched to 100 players?
    Would it then mean less than 100 people play the game? No, because it had Game Pass and Xbox One at the time.
    Would that mean less than 100 people cared about the game? No, because it had Game Pass and Xbox One at the time.

So why is it that now, when it has Xbox One, Game Pass, PS5, and Xbox Series X/S; Suddenly Steam is the Allfather God Lord High Omnigod Of Proof That The Game Is Dying?

Seriously. You have ONE data-point out of FIVE, and think that's proof.
    A high school Statistics Class would give you an F for that.
    Then again; You think 'Prove a negative!" is somehow a valid debate tactic. Which would be an F in Debate Class, too.

• @gunnner1 I deeply deeply love the burning blade event and the skeleton camps. I hope they improve them by continuing to expand on both.

That being said this is the worst season for exploits, from the launch of the season we have been plagued by bad actors. I hope there is a major purge coming to help get the community back in line so that the game CAN continue to grow.

• @guildar9194 said in Rare encouraging PVP when they know cheating/exploiting is such a problem:

And where are you finding the population numbers?

They boast there 40 mil players on their socials. Which can almost be passed as ''Deceptive Advertising''. 40 mil players yet less then 65% of players have eaten a banana. so around 18 million out of the 40 mil have never even played the maiden voyage or at least loaded up the game and eaten something as simple as a banana.
    Steam charts shows the average playerbase declining the past 3 months. The Burning Blade update didn't even result in an increase as most big updates do...

EDIT: Sorry 4 months in a row with declining player numbers, this start of the month its under 8k monthly players on Steam... It's the lowest since Nov 2023.
    Mind you theres really only about 2-3k users online at any given time from Steam.

Their thinking is that they have anti-cheat and they action on player reports; Literally all any game can do.
    Unless you know of some way to detect cheats that bypass anti-cheat? Because if so; You could become rich.

Anti-Cheat could be turned off/disabled on Task manager since day 1 of its release. And popular cheats remade their appearance not even a month after EAC release...

Says all you need to know about how lazy they implemented it, matter of fact it was probably a ''plug and play'' while pretending they where working hard months prior on implementing it, if indeed they were, they really gotta question there security team.

Yes Anti-Cheat needs to be updated, but im GENUILELY questioning if they did this at all since its release.

• Please avoid engaging in personal arguments and derailing the topic of the thread. It is fine to debate the content of the post, and the viewpoints therein, but disrespecting any of your fellow pirates personally is against the pirate code, and our forum rules.

Views
12 out of 41