5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic)

• In my opinion it´s not perfectly thought out... the "junk" is too strong and would makes the sloop useless.
    Sloop should have 4 in turning and the junk only 3 (it even makes sense from a realistic point of view because more sails to set).

Same for frigate... turning speed is too fast compared to junk and galleon.
    reducing it to 3 would balance it more.

• While I am not 100% on these due to the issue with balancing power, I have to give the OP some serious credit where it is due.

You have clearly done some work here with the designs and balancing, taking into account community response and adjusting accordingly.

As stated, while I am not 100% on this, I am very interested to see how the OP adjust their information and seeing if a balancing point can be reached through consensus.

All in all, great work.

• @shoothere4exp whilst i agree that it opens the potential for more diversity within the MOW it then adds the limitation to just this ship, by staying with the current cannons you'll more rapidly deplete your resources and as mentioned by implementing a "melee fire" mechanic so your not locked to aiming a cannon, you can still use the underside or broadside cannons effectively. Similarly to the blunderbuss its high damage at wide spread thus more effective for close range.

Again just my thoughts, you've done great on the development so far, enjoy seeing where things go.

• @aeekto Have you checked out the revised diagram? Its both in the forums and linked it an edit at the bottom of the main post. I buffed the Sloop and Debuffed the Junk and Frigate/Brig in the revisions

@Avirex-Idyll I really appreciate the constructive criticism, and the fact that you value my work. Balancing is difficult but its been really helpful to get the feedback of everyone in the forum, even when some of it is contradictory. The reason I made this is so that we can test how feasible this is as a group, we would never know for sure without testing gameplay, but I think we can get close and if so maybe Rare will take interest!

@LaughsManiacaly Thank you that means a lot, and thats true I'm all for player choice. I think by studying the equipment and weapons we can get a better idea for how they plan to implement sidegrades in the game, I'm hoping this will extend to the cannons as well with different ammo types.

• @shoothere4exp Interesting concepts. I agree that it would be nice to have a mid-level ship that is for 2-4 players (ideal for 3) that is more of a corvette-style ship.

You also might want to check out the concept found here and talk to that member, as you two could probably come up with some interesting ideas:
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/29807/single-player-ship-concept

• @shoothere4exp

I agree

Those 5 would be perfect.

With one addition.

A row boat to get to shore.

The row boat should be able to be rowed up onto the beach then maybe tied off some how.

It could be used to transport multiple chests to shore

No matter how hard I try I keep getting my feet wet at the moment

• @shoothere4exp I got a small idea. What if we got the option to have different style of hulls and sails? Each of these classes had variants in real life. The galleon especially, which was VERY diverse and built in different ways.

• I think if crews were made larger the game would have to become something else more akin to a mmo. I also really don't see what beneficial interactions could occur between crew with a 4+ size difference. They would have to avoid each other, and that would lead to a large gap in player interactions. The maximum gap is currently 3, and solo players seem to be avoiding 4 man crews flat out. I like the thought of twohug ships with big crews battling in this game but then I just don't think it would be this game.

• I have only one thing to reply with in regards to that frigate...

• @shoothere4exp
    This is great keep it up!

• @shoothere4exp
    I would love to see ships that have a cannon on the front and back of the ships.

They also need to have cannons that are in the hull of the ship and not just on the deck!

• alt text
    How is this for everyone looking for a good 3 player Brig Option?

EDIT: Added Forward Chase Cannon & location of Capstan

• @shoothere4exp
    That's really cool man loving it!

• @shoothere4exp

I'd love to see a brig like this in game. Typically I can only get two of my friends on at once and it would be great to have the ship variety.

I do have to say that sail sticking out at the front does seem about weird, unless it's supposed to be hanging below and that's just to represent the sail? Also I think the junk looks a bit Asian with those sails or maybe I'm just not knowledgeable of ships of the time.

Regardless love what you've done with the ships. Id love to sail in the man o war just to fire cannons from below deck. Awesome stuff. Hope to see your ideas implemented!!

• @hardcreator7595 having guns in the front or back of a ship would make them OP. Right now the only chance a sloop has against a galleon is to get behind it.

• @psych0-knightro said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

@shoothere4exp

I'd love to see a brig like this in game. Typically I can only get two of my friends on at once and it would be great to have the ship variety.

I do have to say that sail sticking out at the front does seem about weird, unless it's supposed to be hanging below and that's just to represent the sail? Also I think the junk looks a bit Asian with those sails or maybe I'm just not knowledgeable of ships of the time.

Regardless love what you've done with the ships. Id love to sail in the man o war just to fire cannons from below deck. Awesome stuff. Hope to see your ideas implemented!!

The most successful and powerful pirate there ever was Ching Shih aka Madame Ching. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000 to 40,000 Pirates. She fought the British, the Portuguese, and the Qing dynasty. Most impressively, she retired rich as most famous pirates met a very unpleasant end.

Has no one seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? There were plenty on Asian pirates. Why do so many people think the junk doesn't belong?

• @Psych0-KnIghTrO I'm glad you like it!
    And that sail in the front is a real thing, I believe its called a Spritsail. The Queen Anne's Revenge had one.

alt text

I like it as a Sea of Thieves feature because it could become a social space, a boarding location, and even just a sail thats a little bit harder to get to but reinforces that this ship is for speed.

• I still think a solo player should have his own ship. Something smaller like a skiff. Really fast and super meneuverable with a single cannon in the front.

Just so it can get itself into and out of trouble and isn't constantly being run down by larger ships.

• @casesugar401098

It's just when I think pirates I think about the ones of the Caribbean. Not counting the famous PotC movies, many other movies exclusively show pirates in a similar setting with similar ships.

@ShootHere4EXP

I think the brig should stay at two masts considering you have the galleon at three. I'd keep it on the man o war though. I do like the deck plan and beak you gave it though!

• To reply to the small solo boat people keep requesting, there was a link a little way up that led to another thread solely about a one man gunboat with front facing cannon, i believe it's designed at around a 2/3rd ratio of the sloop and all on a single deck so it'd take on water very fast.

• Design Credit: @ch3wiie
    alt text

For those solo boat enthusiasts, and those concerned about a Man O' War. Here is a 4 Ship Meta, it's not my cup of tea but thats alright!

@KnightX13 Good recommendation for me to check out his work!

@LaughsManiacaly @CaseSugar401098

• @shoothere4exp

I wouldn't give in with the Man o War! I still think the brig should be a two masted ship. Regardless I love the designs. Great job, seriously!

• alt text

@Psych0-KnIghTrO Agreed! I still like the Man O' War, here's a 5 option without the Junk.

• @cayden-black Technically it's a brig. frigates were three masted.

@ShootHere4EXP One thing I think you would like, to maybe give some inspiration, is to look up Willem Van de Velde the Elder. He made VERY detailed drawings and paintings of ships of the 17th century. Frigates, Man-o-Wars, galleons, fluyts, ext.

• @cheatingpirate I actually got to see some of his paintings in person when I visited the Maritime Museum in Amsterdam last year! Incredible stuff

• @shoothere4exp Trust me, there are a LOT on google. My favorite being the HMS Sovereign of the Seas

• @shoothere4exp A bowsprit sail can not mix with forward chase cannons. Sorry to crush your dreams. Allow me to explain though.

If you are going to have a chase cannon, that sail has to be underneath the bowsprit and the bowsprit has to be at a lower angle to provide visibility for firing. However, then you run into the issue of the bowsprit dipping into the water during high waves, and as you can see from game footage, we are already cutting it really close during regular sailing and some rough waves. Not to mention the sail dipping into the water as well, which would just look bad. So a sail below the bowsprit is basically out because it clashes with how sailing currently works, and I will bet my left butt cheek that Rare has spent more time on nailing down how sailing works more than anything else. Every example of chase cannons that I have found do not use any sail on the bowsprit. Here are a few.

Pirates of the Caribbean chase cannons. Note lack of sails on bowsprit.

Assassins creed used chase mortars with a sail below the bowsprit

An actual ship using 2 bowsprit sails. Absolutely no room for chase cannons, even if top sail is removed. Maybe room for chase cannons below deck if the lower sail is removed.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Batavia_03.JPG/1200px-Batavia_03.JPG

Every example I found basically boiled down to this.

The chase cannons have to be on the lowest deck possible, and there must be no lower sail, and even then, you are really pushing it with how well you can arc your shots to get any serious range to be effective. Basically, if you have bowsprit sails, chase cannons become a huge pain in the a*s to use. If you have no bowsprit sails, you can just put them on the top deck and call it a day.

Hope that all helps.

• I love the gunboat! That truly looks made for one player. I'm sure it would be extremely fragile but extremely fast too.

• Also, I forgot to ask, are these the real scales? How big would be one ship compared to each other?

• I think the chase cannons are a bad idea on anything but the solo players boat.

I still think a man-o-war or any larger warship is going to need a larger crew to operate. If it can be run with 5 players then it's overpowered. It should need a lot of coordination between a lot of players. Part of the difficulty in running one would be that with random matching, it would most likely be an epic failure.

• @dragotech123 Yes they are drawn to scale!

• great concepts, I especially like the design for the brig, but not sure if it needs the forward facing cannon. Or if it does have one, the sloop should have one as well.

IMO though, the smaller the boat the faster and more agile it should be. they have much less firepower than the large ships and are far less capable in combat. plus the smaller crew makes boarding larger ships a hassle. giving them a more evasiveness would really help smaller crews enjoy the game without making them so OP that they can take out the larger ships easily.

• Those pictures are awesome.

• The man-o-war wasn't a fast ship, it was big and very heavy with a reinforced hull. It was also almost never used by pirates. It should be a rare find in the game for players who are highly skilled and can work as a team.

• @piranastanly said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

great concepts, I especially like the design for the brig, but not sure if it needs the forward facing cannon. Or if it does have one, the sloop should have one as well.

IMO though, the smaller the boat the faster and more agile it should be. they have much less firepower than the large ships and are far less capable in combat. plus the smaller crew makes boarding larger ships a hassle. giving them a more evasiveness would really help smaller crews enjoy the game without making them so OP that they can take out the larger ships easily.

The sloop was the most common ship used by pirates because it could evade the warships that hunted them.

Views
89 out of 415