A simple question

Views
    feedback
  • a very precise volcano hit my ship with its very first "shot" and a keg in the lower deck came off

alt text

• @calico-jack3172 keg in the lower deck...how about🤦🏻‍♂️
    First of all...if you take kegs with you, put them in the crows nest...and when you want to go to devils roar, don't take them with you...best advice is, NEVER take a keg with u

• I got killed by a rock from the volcano , the ship took hit from keg and could be repaired if it wasn't a toxic event "as intended"...

• For a starters, the spawns are random, so you did get unlucky.

Keeping a keg on your ship in range of active volcanoes is 100% on you though as others have said!

• @calico-jack3172 Toxic event? Not even how you would consider this toxic, it was a combination of bad luck and your own mistakes. That's like saying that bananas are angry.

Keg or not, that ship was sunk. The rock that killed you likely put holes in you, and the meg certainly bit you shortly after. Now, let's see about what you did wrong.

• Going to the Roar solo.
    • Bringing a keg onboard longer than needed.
    • Putting a keg downstairs
    • Bringing said keg into the Roar
    • Going into and staying in range of a volcano
    • Engaging a megalodon while in range of the volcano.

The range of a volcano is indicated by the teeny tiny embers that rain down.

This is not the game's fault. You could have gotten rid of the keg, or at the very least move it somewhere it wouldn't kill you, then stay downstains and stay where the rocks cant kill you. You can tank the meg hits or, if the ship is still sailing, she'd despawn rathet quickly.

• @klutchxking518 sagte in A simple question:

@calico-jack3172 Toxic event? Not even how you would consider this toxic, it was a combination of bad luck and your own mistakes. That's like saying that bananas are angry.

Keg or not, that ship was sunk. The rock that killed you likely put holes in you, and the meg certainly bit you shortly after. Now, let's see about what you did wrong.

This is not the game's fault. You could have gotten rid of the keg, or at the very least move it somewhere it wouldn't kill you, then stay downstains and stay where the rocks cant kill you. You can tank the meg hits or, if the ship is still sailing, she'd despawn rathet quickly.

This☝🏻
    But I wouldn't say, going alone into the roar was a mistake...it's pretty easy to deal with alone...if you are experienced enough

• @schwammlgott Going alone into the Roar is fine, as long as you accept that going alone in this game will result in what many can only percieve as [Mod Edit], and doing such a thing in the Roar is even more risky. Alas, it's game design. Not my fault people don't play safer when alone.

[Mod Edit] And when it does, more crewmates can help. As far as I know, the developers do not block anyone from the handy dandy "Invite Friends" button.

• @klutchxking518 , since you didn't understand the sequence of events , never mind.

• @klutchxking518 it's easier with a crew, yes, as it's not a big deal to go near an active volcano then...solo, the only difference is, that you leave the island, when a volcano starts

• @calico-jack3172 Oh, please, help me understand. What did you leave out?

• @schwammlgott , sure , thanks for your constructive reply. Dealing with a combo kraken+meg+volcano is really easy , of course. Cheers.

• @wsurftvveeds , kraken+meg+eruption , random spawns ? Certainly.

• @calico-jack3172 sagte in A simple question:

@schwammlgott , sure , thanks for your constructive reply. Dealing with a combo kraken+meg+volcano is really easy , of course. Cheers.

🤦🏻‍♂️
    Just wow...the meg came after the kraken...talk again when kraken, meg AND a skellie ships hit you AT THE EXACT SAME TIME
    And by the way, when you think it's not easy, then DON'T GO INTO THE ROAR

• @klutchxking518 said in A simple question:

@calico-jack3172 Oh, please, help me understand. What did you leave out?

Let me help you : the Kraken , you forgot it , I'm afraid. I was heading north at full sail , leaving the area and the Kraken stopped the ship. If you need more help to understand , just let me know! Cheers !

• @calico-jack3172 I don't think YOU understand the sequence of events, suddenly it's all three at once according to you. The original story was the meg and eruption happened afterwards.

Regardless, if they did happen all at once, you can get rid of the keg when you are in the volcano range, defeat the kraken on your sloop in 10-20 seconds if on a sloop, keeping an eye on the sky. You can look to see if any rocks will hit the ship, if not, you can pump 5 cannonballs into one tentacle, beating it, and 5 into another, defeating the kraken. Then, you can either wait out the volcano and repair tank, or sail towards anything to despawn the meg.

You chose to fight the meg while a volcano was going off.

I've fought worse and won. Ever gotten krakened in the fog and have a crewmate respawn on the shores of gold? I doubt it.

@calico-jack3172 I don't think YOU understand the sequence of events, suddenly it's all three at once according to you. The original story was the meg and eruption happened afterwards.

Regardless, you can get rid of the keg when you are in the volcano range, defeat the kraken on your sloop in 10-20 seconds if on a sloop, keeping an eye on the sky. You can look to see if any rocks will hit the ship, if not, you can pump 5 cannonballs into one tentacle, beating it, and 5 into another, defeating the kraken. Then, you can either wait out the volcano and repair tank, or sail towards anything to despawn the meg.

You chose to fight the meg while a volcano was going off.

On a sloop you actually just need 3 cannonballs per tentacle...

• @schwammlgott Maybe it's a bit delayed? By the time I hit the 5th one it goes. Do mouth-shots matter? I always aim for the base cause it seems more reliable than making my cannon into a charmed dancing snake trying to aim for the head.

• Well , I certainly do need to "git gud" because "it's a pirate game". Thanks for the replies , pirates.

• @calico-jack3172 said in A simple question:

Well , I certainly do need to "git gud" because "it's a pirate game". Thanks for the replies , pirates.

You aren't supposed to win all the time. What you describe happens but it's not something you see a lot just from time to time.

After you gain more experience all that stuff spawning at the same time becomes a welcome occurrence to break up monotony.

It makes pvp more interesting, it's great for loot and emissary grade increasing, and it's fun for screenshots

on a sloop as you become more experienced it won't be as difficult for you and will largely be manageable when it rarely happens

• @wolfmanbush , I was dealing with contingencies until the game decided to put a 2,000 kg (?) burning rock on my head to give me a break , chill out and enjoy the experience. My question was about the need to exterminate a player at any cost. Thanks anyway.

@schwammlgott Maybe it's a bit delayed? By the time I hit the 5th one it goes. Do mouth-shots matter? I always aim for the base cause it seems more reliable than making my cannon into a charmed dancing snake trying to aim for the head.

No, they doesn't matter...I also hit just the body where it touches the water

• If I got Krakened running from a volcano, I'd pick a direction away from the volcano that was closest to the ink's edge. Turtle down with boards and food and hope Karen doesn't decide to hug me or correct my steering lol.

Also... keg + roar?it aims better

• @klutchxking518 said in A simple question:

@calico-jack3172 Toxic event? Not even how you would consider this toxic, it was a combination of bad luck and your own mistakes. That's like saying that bananas are angry.

Although the said "events" were bad luck and don't regularly happen like this, their were some horrible decision making on OP's part that ultimately decided his loss.

1. All volcanoes erupt after some time, the more time with an inactive volcano the more worried one should become of said activity.
    2. He went to the devil's roar with a keg
    3. He kept this keg inside his ship where explosion damage would have impacted every part of said ship
    4. He tried to fight a meg right after the kraken... in the devils roar.... in the proximity of a volcano
  • Hey guys, play nice please :D

@calico-jack3172 I have been solo and had kraken, meg and skelly sloop all spawn in quick succession (the only difference I wasn’t in the roar or carrying a keg lol). It does happen though as other have said, just not very often.
    The only thing you could have changed was to carry the keg up top (as said), I’m sure you left the sail down when encountering the kraken? And the meg would’ve despawned if you’d hit an island banner.
    If you had managed to ‘escape’ what a tale you’d have had to tell :D sometimes the RNG lords are against you lol

• @lizalaroo , first of all thank you for your kindness...as I wrote in OP it's easy to defeat anyone , but how fair is that ? I put the keg in front of the brig (I read somewhere that was a safe place) , my mistake , ok , but nothing changes the fact that 3 attacks from the environment in less than a minute is , at least , extra challenging. There is no fun , just frustration and the certainty that no matter what I'd have done , I had to be sunk anyway. It's not bad luck , it's by design imo.
    I have a solid knowledge of navigation so sailing is fun , except when things like this happen. I wouldn't mind being sunk by a kraken hug , OR by a meg OR even by a volcano hitting the keg or even my head, that's fine , but not altogether ! :P

If I had managed to escape , I'd have a great tale to tell indeed :D

• @klutchxking518 Ahoy matey!

Bypassing the filters goes against the Forum rules. Your post has been edited and a note placed on your account.

Please note that too many infractions will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and continued breaking of the rules will result in a permanent ban from the Forums and removal from Insiders if you are part of that Programme.

Thanks,
    j0toro

• @calico-jack3172 :D you were on a brig? By yourself? As has been said, these occasions of everything spawning at once are few and far between. Just learn from it and hope it never happens again, or if it does then you will be prepared :D

• The RNG be like that sometimes. Feels bad, but as they say, adapt and overcome.

• @calico-jack3172

So reading your post I think you done goofed and sorry to say unfortunately the game isn't at fault. You made a mistake. We all make mistakes and sometimes a small mistake can mean the end of your voyage in this game.

From the sounds of it you got the advice that was given to you mixed up.

Place kegs at the front of the ship. You believed this to mean inside at the bow of the ship. This is false. It means to put items on the nose of the ship. The safest place for kegs is near the very tip of the nose of the ship. Never place them inside.

Think of the explosion going out in a circle. If its in the crows, the explosion points towards the ship and the spread of the explosion hits all over. More potential holes and your mast is down with fire all over your boat.

If the keg is in the front, the nose takes damage, the front of the boat has damage but the damage is focused on the front of the boat only. You are safer if the keg explodes there then in the crows.

So you kinda just goofed man. Those situation are uncommon and because you've been in such situation you will be wary and careful to not be in the same situation next time.

Thats the beauty of SoT. The game is completely experience and knowledge based. You learn by experiencing things and then you adapt to be better prepared for it next time. That is amazing.

I know you taking the advice players are giving you as "git gud" but what you need to understand is that we've all been there. We have. We've all sunk to volcano's spawning with skelly ship, or meg/kraken/skelly ship combos, and this was back in the day when skelly galleons spawn on sloops.

However, we learned and adapted, got better at the game. Don't take the fact that you sunk as a deterrent from the game, accept that you made a few small mistakes. You were too close to the volcano and you weren't paying attention to the boulder coming your way ;). Next accept that you goofed by misunderstanding the advice of where to place a keg.

Things like that happen. You learn from it, you move on and the next time you get into that situation I'd bet you'd survive just fine.

@lizalaroo

Keg placement is best in the front of the ship at the nose. What I stated above is why, direction of the blast and everything. Granted if someone boards not so much but if the kegs blow up at the nose then its very few holes on the ship even if its a mega keg, all the holes are centralized in the front of the ship, 4 holes max. The size and mixture of the holes depends on the keg. Secondly if the keg does blow up, the mast is still good which means you aren't crippled.

• Looking at the sequence of events, I'd say going into the Roar without adequate knowledge of potential risks was your first mistake.

The Roar is meant to be unforgiving, it was brought in to be a harsher environment to explore. It's not forced on anyone to even venture out there, it's your choice.

• @calico-jack3172 the games logic follows an event scheduler, all can spawn at any time, even at the same time.

There are some limitations though:

• kraken can only spawn when there are no other world events active (fort, fof, fleet, flameheart etc) fotd excluded

• skelly ships can only spawn/roam when there is no skelly fleet event active

Apart from that, sailing with a keg below deck is the most rookie move, any stray cannonball, firebomb or in your case volcano will sat that sucker off and most likely send you off the ship if not kill you.

Sailing with a keg below deck in the roar is straight up suicidal as you have found out.

In the end you created the circumstances that led to your demise, trying to fight a monster in range of an actively fire spewing volcano with a keg on board.

You could have easily moved out of range of the volcano or thrown the keg over board as soon as these events came to pass.

• @meroviel I acknowledge and respect that a mod decision is not to be argued against, however I don't feel that I've bypassed anything. I have done that before on the forums with moderators present, I have seen others do worse in terms of bypassing the filter and not get a note on my account. I feel like a note on my account for this is kinda silly. I'll do better next time, I was unaware that intentionally avoiding the filter counts as... bypassing it? 😓 Especially when Musicmee has used the phrase Ships and Giggles before.

Sorry for arguing... I try to never break the rules, and to think I unconciously broke them, seems like a problem with the rules.

• Truth be told , the sequence of events (kraken+meg+eruption) was an unnecessary overkill and , no matter if the keg was onboard or not , I'd get sunk anyway. I'd like to thank everyone for the remarks , I'll do my best to git gud. Fair winds , captains !

• Listen, this game is a troll, we all know that. Everyone here could post a similar tale to yours; sometimes on the Sea it feels like the only luck you get is bad.
    I don't know though, having a crack at the devs over this seems a bit much. You are frustrated, I get that, and maybe a little angry.
    My advice is to Frozen(tm) the bejezus out of it. Let it go, let it gooo!

Views
feedback
1 out of 39