EAC - Unknown File Version (SoTGame.exe)

• @jayd9409 oh my god! this is actually working! i've not been able to play for 3 months due to another issue i was experiencing before this one seemed to replace it! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• @lilblancheqc i love you bro i waiting for this 2 months and now you came to us and tell how to fix that i realy appreciate you.

• No blue arrow for me, guess I will have to wait for some more time.

• Got the beginning of something a few minutes ago, tried to change the path to SoTGame.exe in a config file, I successfully launched the game, but I uninstalled it before realizing that something could've worked !

• @manonico1903
    did they respond???

• @deltacomms did you figure it out? i dont have blue arrows either

• @darkman1984
    I may have Half the solution. but for the rest it seem like a probleme only RARE can fix.
    I located SeaOfTheives.exe and renamed it for SoTGame.exe.
    the game started when executed SoTGame.exe that i renamed. BUT. Impossible to join online..
    also the Xbox App doesnt recognise SoTGame.exe so it wont start from there.
    I ll share this with them maybe it might help them find something they may have overlooked

• @astra7313045 this isn't Rare's fault actually, i remember someone said this is an issue with the xbox services, which isn't limited to SoT a lot of games have this issue that use xbox services even if you have SoT on steam the game still uses Xbox services and that was causing the issue, the only way to fix it is to install the game on your main drive.

• Hi,
    Uninstalled it and got it back again and it shows me the blue arrows !
    After doing the solution you guys told, when launching the game it asks me to verify the games file again, what should I do ?

• Hi,
    Uninstalled it and got it back again and it shows me the blue arrows !
    After doing the solution you guys told, when launching the game it asks me to verify the games file again, what should I do ?

It seems to load forever, also my pc is not really good, but yeah

• Having the same problem. I just installed the game again after some time and I keep getting this error over and over. You'd think Xbox and Rare would actually want people to play their game but I guess not. Trying to play on Windows 10 Xbox game pass app.

• @vorthulus said in EAC - Unknown File Version (SoTGame.exe):

Having the same problem. I just installed the game again after some time and I keep getting this error over and over. You'd think Xbox and Rare would actually want people to play their game but I guess not. Trying to play on Windows 10 Xbox game pass app.

There is a solution posted on the previous page.

• amazing that the community figured this out before Rare did. Also amazing that Rare never publicly acknowledged it.

Guessing there will be no compensation for players who weren't able to play for a couple of months. Probably not even a sorry

• @jayd9409 why does it not work for me, or am i just compressing the wrong files, it took 1 hour to compress them, is that the time? Or am I compressing the wrong one?

• Wish there was something like this with the steam version. It's been 2 weeks since I reinstalled the game and I have yet to play due to the EAC Athena related errors. No amount of file deletion, integrity verification or uninstall/reinstall regardless of target drive, C: or otherwise make a difference. Waiting on a support ticket I submitted but not expecting much since this looks to be an ongoing and unaddressed issue with no communication from Rare.

• @dragnemperor464 The method described is for disabling the Compression feature, not enabling it, i.e. removing the blue arrows on your folders.

• alt text
    alt text
    Same here.
    There seems to be an issue with the Anticheat add=on.
    @SOTsupport3119 Any ideas?

• @marsdenwolffire

• not sure if anyone still experiences this or cares but the same thing is still happening, its a shame wanted to jump in haven't played SOT in years but it's stilll broken installing from xbox app windows 11

• @jimmay94 I emailed them for about a month and just got the basic advice like, "Verify your game files". They really don't have a solution on the near horizon i'd say. It's going on 3 months soon for some people!

I rebought the game, but because of lag spikes, its unplayable anyway. Hopefully they get some dev wizard in to fix all of this.

Don't expect anything soon!

• I have a friend having the same problem.
    EAC detected local file integrity violation: unknown file version (Athena\Content\Paks\Core_88e4a244-fe99-4561-b0fa-14e525ad688d-WindowsClient_P55.Pak). Application shutting down.
    He has the game on steam with windows 10 and I searched through my own files and didn't sea any Core_88... but I'm assuming its different for everyone. We've tried a few things but I don't know what the "root" file is.

• Buon pomeriggio, scusate il disturbo, dopo un pò di tempo ho installato sea of thieves, ma purtroppo nel aprirlo mi crusha dicendo errore nel driver video, quindi cercando nella sua cartella l'applicazione EasyAntiCheat per provare ad aprire perchè pensavo che aprendo quell'applicazione risolveva il problema di sea of thieves, ma purtroppo non ho avuto successo. Qualcuno che ha già risolto questo problema mi può consigliare o scrivere un procedimento per risolvere questo problema per favore?. Così anch'io potrò tornare in mare aperto al comando del mio galeone.

• I was having this same issue with EAC but found a much simpler fix if you bought Sea of Thieves through "Steam". I was able to play this for 4 hours straight and no crashes!

1. Open "Steam" on your desktop
    2. Click on your "Library Tab"
    3. Browse through your games and click on Sea of Thieves (Make sure you are on the games "Game Page" and not the "Store Page")
    4. Hover over the "gear button" at the top right of your screen (your tooltip should say "Manage")
    5. Click the "gear button"
    6. Click the "Properties" tab
    7. Click on "Installed Files"
    8. Finally click on "Verify Integrity of Game Files"

For some reason when the game is first installed it doesn't properly download certain files. When you use the instructions above it just "re verifies" that all the file data is correct to properly start the game.

• @jayd9409 said in EAC - Unknown File Version (SoTGame.exe):

@lilblancheqc My god, This seems to have actually solved it for me, Thanks for sharing!
    For anyone who's not aware of the compression feature in windows, If you have little blue arrows next to your folders this solution will likely work for you.

Goto your game root folder and goto properties, advanced, and uncheck "Compress contents to save disk space"
    You'll likely get an error saying the .exes can't be uncompressed, ignore that for a moment and let the rest uncompress.
    after it's done, go into your game folder and delete any files that still have the Blue arrows (most importantly the exes like SoTGame.exe and Sea of Thieves.exe and gamelaunchhelper.exe as these are the main offenders), and then reacquire them via the Verify and Repair function in the Xbox app.

This worked for us today. My niece bought the game through XBox a few years back and I bought mine through Games for Windows a few years ago. We just tried playing again for the first time in months and my version worked, but her Xbox version did not.

So I had her verify the files and that failed. Then she reinstalled the game and it still failed to start.

I googled the error and found this thread. Then we followed these directions above. Initially, it said it would take 3 hours to decompress the files. But it only took about 20 minutes or less.

Afterward, even though we didn't have the blue arrows next to the files, we still deleted SoTGame.exe, SeaofThieves.exe and gamelaunchhelper.exe. SoTGame.exe was in a subfolder, not the root. Then we reacquired them via Verify and Repair function in the Xbox app, started the game and it worked.

Thanks very much! I hope other people find this solution to Sea of Thieves not starting.

• @jayd9409
    Hey, mind helping me out? Im sorry, but I dont quite know how to uncompress, despite your guidance... First things first, is this the root folder?
    Oh, I cannot post images... Well, Im basically in D:/Xbox Games/ Sea of Thieves and I only have one folder which says "Content" I am assuming THIS is the root folder? Second of all, when I hit "properties" I cannot seem to find anything that would say "Advanced" nor mention compressing any files...
    Thank you in advance!

• @jayd9409 Dude you are @lilblancheqc are insanely helpful!!! haven't been able to play for 7 months and just found this thread. yall are better than the actual staff at Rare... Got some demeaning messages for support tickets, 0 help, and basically told to just keep deleting and reinstalling game (a process which takes me 3 hours each time). Now I am able to actually play. Thank you both so much

• @camrn7051 I have the same issue. HELP US DEVS

• Still here, nothing fixes this issue. I have done everything suggested, even a full factory reset. I have downloaded the game on xbox pc app, then (YES) i did buy the client on STEAM, and guess what?! SAME ISSUE, the game syncs, then when it needs to load SoTGame.exe, it unexpectedly crashes.

I have opened another ticket, I hope I dont get another "we are aware of this issue, we will investigate" ... this is their response, and here we are 5 months since their EAC Season 12 FIASCO!

THE GAME DOES NOT LAUNCH.

• GAME DOES NOT LAUNCH

EASY ANTI CHEAT IS KEEPING US AWAY FROM THE GAME
    RARE HAS DONE NOTHING TO ADDRESS THEIR POOR IMPLEMENTATION OF EASY ANTI CHEAT

WHAT IS GOING ON ?

btw, all my other games work flawlessly, why SoT ?

Because Rare only cares about $$$$$$

• OK I MADE SOME PROGRESS.... still cant play, but i was able to launch the game, AT LEAST to be able to get onto the emporium.... this is what i wrote to the support team:

I use STEAM. if i install EAC, game wont launch (online and offline "play anyway") ... if i uninstall EAC the game WILL launch offline and then turning back the internet this allows me to fiddle around the emporium (got the free item).. but thats pretty much it...... the problem is clearly EAC..... this is sad. I have opened multiple support tickets, spent most of the 6 months ive been dealing with this issue reading reddit, sot discussion forums, steam discussion forums, youtube, google..... if i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sea of Thieves\Installers\EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe" install 0367a3a8ea344f08851d76facf6f66d3 GAME WONT LAUNCH..... if i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sea of Thieves\Installers\EasyAntiCheat_EOS_Setup.exe" uninstall 0367a3a8ea344f08851d76facf6f66d3 GAME WILL LAUNCH OFFLINE, then i can turn on the internet to be able to log in, AT LEAST see the emporium, BUT THIS CONFIRMS THE PROBLEM IS EASY ANTI CHEAT !!!!!!!!!!! im using windows 11 with a geforce GTX 1650 TI ... all my games work flawlessly, only SoT is the one NOT LAUNCHING due to EASY ANTI CHEAT!!

• Bonjour, j'ai trouvé une solution qui a marché pour moi en tout cas.

(C'est surtout pour ceux qui ont le jeu sur l'application Xbox, après je ne sait pas pour ceux sur steam) Je suis allé dans le répertoire d'installation de Sea of Thieves dans le dossier Content j'ai renommé le fichier SeaOfThieves.exe en SoTGame.exe (vous n'êtes pas obligé de rajouter .exe c'est déjà un exécutable juste renommé le) .

L'INCONVENIANT : c'est que vous ne pouvez pas lancer le jeu depuis l'application xbox, cela risque de vous dire qu'un fichier est manquant ou corrompu, néanmoins vous pourrez lancer directement le jeu via SotGame.exe, faudra crée un raccourcie sur son bureau au pire des pire.

MISE A JOUR DU JEUX : Je pense que faire cela risque de causer des soucis si vous avez une nouvelle mise a jour qui sort je ne sais pas comment cela sera interprété par l'application xbox faudra peut être renommer le fichier comme avant si y a une erreur ???.

Je pense que le soucis principal viens d'une mauvaise configuration du nom de l'exécutable du jeu sur l'application xbox et easy anticheat, j'espère que mon message sera peut être vu par les développeurs.

J'espère que sa aura aidé certains même si c'est temporaires sa permettra néanmoins de lancer le jeu d'ici les prochaines mise a jours.

ENGLISH (novice): Rename SeaOfThieves.exe to SoTGame.exe in root dir of the game and execute the game from here or create a shortcut because it might not be able to lauch from xbox app and game update might not work im not sure...

• @devlerito Jtm

• @jayd9409 said in EAC - Unknown File Version (SoTGame.exe):

@lilblancheqc My god, This seems to have actually solved it for me, Thanks for sharing!
    For anyone who's not aware of the compression feature in windows, If you have little blue arrows next to your folders this solution will likely work for you.

Goto your game root folder and goto properties, advanced, and uncheck "Compress contents to save disk space"
    You'll likely get an error saying the .exes can't be uncompressed, ignore that for a moment and let the rest uncompress.
    after it's done, go into your game folder and delete any files that still have the Blue arrows (most importantly the exes like SoTGame.exe and Sea of Thieves.exe and gamelaunchhelper.exe as these are the main offenders), and then reacquire them via the Verify and Repair function in the Xbox app.

So this didn’t work for me like it did for a lot of people on this thread (not sure I was having the same problem but I couldn’t find help on the specific error codes I was getting and was trying anything at this point) but I did get it to work so I want to share it in case it works for some else. I went to the Windows Settings, from there I went to “Privacy” then “Background apps” and I turned everything off. I was in a rush so I haven’t went through every background app yet. Hope this helps someone.

• @iiitzbam Yep, they give us minimal support and really don't care much if we can play or not. We don't make up a large enough % of the playerbase for them to care at all.

I paid $40 extra to buy the game a second time and Rare just told me sorry about that nothing we can do.

• @jayd9409 OMG Thank you for this and everyone in here trying to problem solve!

Views
337 out of 365