NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal)

• alt text
    Pirates, are you tired of seeing the same old clone ships on the Seas? I propose the shipwrights broaden their (and our) horizons and build new models of Sloop (and Brigs & Galleons) for us to sail on! These new ship models could be unlockable through the trading companies, and would remain compatible with all current customization options. They would not affect gameplay, and be purely designed to support the existing "SLOOP" game-play platform. There could even be exclusive models for Pirate Legends, like the "Ferryman Set" you see here.

I plan on doing this for all 3 ship types, let me guys know what you think, and tell me if this is something you would be interested in!

Views
  • Absolutely. Every time man you always make these awesome posts.

Just a very important note, just like you said these new hull models are purely cosmetic, meaning that regardless of how they look it will behave like a sloop. They will take the same damage, sink the same speed, turn at the same rate, have the same number of cannons and the same navigation mesh (area where players and npcs are able to move) across the board.

• @shoothere4exp those are awesome. I'd be a little concerned about hiding and tuck spots. but I'd rock the sea dog sloop all day every day.

• Good grief those are epic.

Nice work man.

• For more historical accuracy, as they tended to eradicate any higher levels on board for sleekness, the Admiral is the way to go.
    For sheer beauty, I'll take the Sovereign.

• Ewwww! Game
    Is 99% Sloops!

Screw you guys!

• Now THIS is a suggestion!

• I like this. A good and well-made suggestion, with a lot of effort put in. I would love to see some of the liveries combined with these, along with a Bilge Rat (a set in the game since the beginning) and perhaps Hunter's Call one , and the Royal Sea Dog could be lumped under the Sea Dog version for the Order of Souls. Hull liveries could add decorative plating along the sides, such as the angled stripes of the Hunter set or the shaped icons of the Sea Dog sets. I look forward to the other ship sizes of these.

• @urihamrayne said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

Absolutely. Every time man you always make these awesome posts.

Just a very important note, just like you said these new hull models are purely cosmetic, meaning that regardless of how they look it will behave like a sloop. They will take the same damage, sink the same speed, turn at the same rate, have the same number of cannons and the same navigation mesh (area where players and npcs are able to move) across the board.

Additionally to what @UrihamRayne said, will the canopy on the ferryman sloop provide cover from cannonfire? Or will it provide more 'material' for shots to hit, potentially increasing splash damage? Can the galleon crew, who may be above the sloop, still see and hit pirates unde the canopy?

As long as there is no 'better' skin, more stuff is always good, but if a skin is offering an advantage, you will still see only one kind of clone, the better one.

• @pomalotacusmk3 said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

@urihamrayne said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

Absolutely. Every time man you always make these awesome posts.

Additionally to what @UrihamRayne said, will the canopy on the ferryman sloop provide cover from cannonfire? Or will it provide more 'material' for shots to hit, potentially increasing splash damage? Can the galleon crew, who may be above the sloop, still see and hit pirates unde the canopy?

As long as there is no 'better' skin, more stuff is always good, but if a skin is offering an advantage, you will still see only one kind of clone, the better one.

That’s a good point, the goal here is to make the change as negligible to gameplay as possible. Obviously as soon as you start messing with 3 dimensional space it’s almost unavoidable, but I’ve tried to maintain a similar profile in the new designs while still offering aesthetic variety, it’s a tough balance to walk.

For ex: I’m tempted to say that the top canopy can act like a sail and not allow for cannonball impact, I know that would be a little silly but I agree with you that players will gravitate towards the one with the biggest competitive advantage.

• @butterybarnacls said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

For more historical accuracy, as they tended to eradicate any higher levels on board for sleekness, the Admiral is the way to go.

A Pirate after my own heart! The sovereign was my favorite to design, and the one I would most like to sail, I tried to channel a classic early 1600s ship buccaneer vibe to it. The Admiral is an attempt at representing the later, sleeker 18th century style. I think it could still use a little work but it gets the point across

• These look really cool!

I would personally prefer more regionally styled ships in the 3 classes, however.

• @shoothere4exp

I like the idea and illustration of the options. I especially like the ferry man version with the additional lanterns bungling, would be cool.

• These look awesome.

I will echo the senitments above that they would need to offer no advantages over the traditional design in terms of cover from cannon or gun fire.

If they provide additional tuck spots so be it, that'd be a personal trade off, you can sail a different looking ship but maybe you need to step up your anti-Pace measures, you decide.

• @shoothere4exp

Simply beautiful & epic work.

tell me if this is something you would be interested in!

Yip, loving it.

• @shoothere4exp Nice work, Honestly I hope the ship captaincy update brings us new models for our ships.

• i would love to see this happen,hopefully Rare will see this and take notice.Nicely presented to.

• Now this is why I follow you. Any chance to get to see these awesome posts I am grateful for. Very nice idea as always. I love the sovereign design. Looks like a mini galleon! Might I suggest this being part of the Captaincy update for legends we've waited on for so long? It's a nice thing to work towards if you're not a legend.

• Amazing work

• @shoothere4exp said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

alt text
    Pirates, are you tired of seeing the same old clone ships on the Seas? I propose the shipwrights broaden their (and our) horizons and build new models of Sloop (and Brigs & Galleons) for us to sail on! These new ship models could be unlockable through the trading companies, and would remain compatible with all current customization options. They would not affect gameplay, and be purely designed to support the existing "SLOOP" game-play platform. There could even be exclusive models for Pirate Legends, like the "Ferryman Set" you see here.

I plan on doing this for all 3 ship types, let me guys know what you think, and tell me if this is something you would be interested in!

aye mate love these ideas mate

• @glannigan said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

Ewwww! Game
    Is 99% Sloops!

Screw you guys!

wow mean much

• Designs are nice, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will translate in-game very well. For example 1 has the lantern hanging off the back, which makes it harder to reach, and with it on the back, where's the rowboat going to go? On the side? If that was the case, then you could potentially have an added layer of protection on that side from cannonballs. What about the multilayered tarps? Would that offer a potential sniping advantage?

How would you consolidate your new build types with the hulls we already have? For example, could we have an admiral build with the sea dog hull? What would that even look like?

The design process takes a lot of thought - and not just about the form, but the function too.

• Oh waw. These looks awesome. Would instantly switch to one of them :D
    This is kind of something that I expected what they were planning for Captaincy Update.
    I just guess these won't be so easy for devs to bring in as each of them would probably has different pathing for pets (one difficulty as an example that I think of right now. Expecting that there is more of these).

• @shoothere4exp Amazing work! I love everything you’ve done for this community. This really should be put in game for the sloop and all other ship types. Nice!

• @glannigan Then it will look all the better with these skins!

• @theassassinoath said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

Now this is why I follow you. Any chance to get to see these awesome posts I am grateful for. Very nice idea as always. I love the sovereign design. Looks like a mini galleon! Might I suggest this being part of the Captaincy update for legends we've waited on for so long? It's a nice thing to work towards if you're not a legend.

I agree I think this would be perfect for the Captaincy update! I’m curious on what Rare’s vision of that has been since it’s been talking about since before release, but as long as it comes with new models of ship & not just reskins I’m happy. I agree Pirate Legends need something to work for, and I think collecting new ship hulls could be an awesome endgame.

• @winsterz said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

Oh waw. These looks awesome. Would instantly switch to one of them :D
    This is kind of something that I expected what they were planning for Captaincy Update.
    I just guess these won't be so easy for devs to bring in as each of them would probably has different pathing for pets (one difficulty as an example that I think of right now. Expecting that there is more of these).

Yup pathing for pets, as well as Kraken encounters are just two examples of reprogramming that has to happen, that’s why retaining the sloop profile and general structure is so important to the design of this is going to happen. I may have pushed that a little too far but I wanted to stress the need for more variety

• @shoothere4exp
    Great idea! Other ships should have these models too of course.

• They are nice but they are still sloops and look like the original sloop.
    I'd like to see different ship types for the 2/3/4 man crews. 20 months in and we're still sailing the same 3 ships.

• @butterybarnacls said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

For more historical accuracy, as they tended to eradicate any higher levels on board for sleekness, the Admiral is the way to go.

These are all awsome, but as far as historical accuracy goes none of them are sloops 😝

• @william-flint said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

@butterybarnacls said in NEW Sloop Designs for SEA OF THIEVES! (Fan Proposal):

These are all awsome, but as far as historical accuracy goes none of them are sloops 😝

The concept of removing the higher decks to have a simple main deck for a pirate ship was all I mentioned. That concept spanned more than one type of ship, not just a sloop which our game certainly has the wrong rigging for.

• Fabulous post! Love the idea. Let’s see your designs for Brig and Gally too :D

• No thanks.

• @shoothere4exp Very cool ideas and concept art! I would love to see variations of Sloops, Brigs and Galleons in the game like this. My favorite is the Pirate Legend's Ferryman Sloop! 😊👍

• @closinghare208 man o war

Views
1 out of 38