3D Printed Sea of Thieves Belt Buckle

• I think the "land" portion looks better as a slightly more muted color. Although that neon green in the prelim example certainly did stand out. :D

From a color theory standpoint, the yellow of that muted gold compliments the blue violet well. Since that yellow leans a little green, those two might look good with a ruby red base to form a triad color scheme. Visually dynamic and what pirate doesn't like rubies?

• @lucid-stew said in 3D Printed Sea of Thieves Belt Buckle:

I think the "land" portion looks better as a slightly more muted color. Although that neon green in the prelim example certainly did stand out. :D

From a color theory standpoint, the yellow of that muted gold compliments the blue violet well. Since that yellow leans a little green, those two might look good with a ruby red base to form a triad color scheme. Visually dynamic and what pirate doesn't like rubies?

Excellent thoughts! I really look for and appreciate artistic input. I did that initial mock up in MeshMixer and their built in shaders are kinda lean on color variety. Just got as close as they had. I had always planned on the muted green-beige filament option for the land portion...though I do have a leaf green as well. I have a slightly darker tan on the way for the sand...the natural is almost translucent but not bad as a sand effect goes. I'm digging the ruby base idea...darn it. I should have ordered some of the semi-translucent red filament! Why did you not mention the ruby idea earlier...hmmm? ;-)

In the Mk.II version, I had thought about making a small indentation in the sand dome surface and inserting a real small ruby rhinestone or something similar that might be seen through the transparent sea blue filament I've got on the way. Always up for a challenge. Of course that idea would go away if a Mk.III ruby based variant comes to pass.

Thanks again for the input :-D

• little c****y photoshopping on my part...
    alt text

• @lucid-stew looks good to me! So are you also thinking gold for the backplate? I mean that would go with the ruby/red part. Hmm...the beige-green land part might be a bit drab for that, but then the leaf green might work.

• wow nice job .

• About to set sail on a voyage which will take me away from my tools for a bit...so thought I'd post some of my 'other' works in progress. Always like to hear input from other 'shipwrights' :-)

One of my favorite aspects of Sea of Thieves to date is their take on the artwork. Not just in world, but here on the forums. I am particularly fond of the bits and bobs that abound. I focused on two of my favorites for possible 3D tinkering. Here they are...

The inspiration...
    The work in progress...

So many to choose from it was a challenge to narrow it down to a couple!

Another...

And it's work in progress...

As noted I'm a man with many belt buckles...but other possibilities certainly exist :-D

• @specialadvisor very cool the second one alt text you done reminds me of a personal favourite of mine a game called skies of Arcadia which was about air pirates and had a very similar logo !

• @specialadvisor said in 3D Printed Sea of Thieves Belt Buckle:

@lucid-stew looks good to me! So are you also thinking gold for the backplate? I mean that would go with the ruby/red part. Hmm...the beige-green land part might be a bit drab for that, but then the leaf green might work.

Here's what I got with the green skull and gray buckle... I think it looks a little dull with the ruby. I switched the buckle from gray to gold because the gray didnt go with the gold skull at all. gold buckle and green skull is a thought. it would definitely pop with the ruby red.
    alt text

I think this one has a lot of potential

• I just found another source of exceptional Sea of Thieves artistic element bits & bobs! I did a binge watch of the SoT videos on Rare's YouTube Channel...and noted these. Location Introductions :-D Excellent!

alt text
    Ferry of the Damned...a favorite of mine artistically.

alt text
    Isolated the Seahorse (Hippocampus?...SeaUnicorns?) element...did a bit of photoshop to balance it out and added a coral/anchor element from another intro (the shipwreck into).

alt text
    Started thinking of buckles...

alt text
    And ended up thinking mahogany pediment over a doorway...hey I do have a CNC as well.

I do still see a buckle with the very center piece :-D

• OK...back from my long voyage and while the 3D Printed Tavern Sign has drug my attention away I did not forget this one. I did get in leaf green and even semi-transparent blue filament. Already have gold. But with the addition of the pirate's 'gem' background idea I still need some semi-transparent red. That should arrive Monday. So...till then the new design with a pirate's 'gem' base for the logo :-D

alt text

• Looking good! What 3D modelling software do you use?

• @triheadedmonkey Same, I make some progress with blender. It was the first 3d modelling software I used. A few tutorials and away you go with the basics. It can be daunting though, and like @SpecialAdvisor said, not very user friendly, in appearance at the very least.

• @naba55 think the main reason I stuck with it was the very attractive price tag ;D but now I'm hooked!

• @triheadedmonkey me too man. Its been a few weeks since I've sat down and made something with it as Im away alot of summer (think it was some logos for my twitch channel or something), but like you say for free its just an absolute gem! Quite powerful if you know what you're doing but easy enough for a beginner to get going on.

• @naba55 I try and do SOMETHING with it pretty much every day....even if it is just a bit of tweaking/retexturing old models...and I keep finding (with the help of plentiful tutorials) new stuff I didn't even imagine it could do and going "ahhhhh...THATS pretty cool!"

I'm still relatively new, so there is bound to be loads of stuff I 'discover' but as I can just about swing the $0/month I have all the time in the world! :D

• @triheadedmonkey me too man I'm pretty new to it, I always try and learn something new everyday.

• @naba55 tutor4u is pretty good for simple animation/logos, Blender Guru is pretty much what dragged me back into Blender and kept me (his doughnut beginner series was the first thing I ever actually modelled and rendered), CG Cookie do great tutorials, quite a lot are paid but their archives on their site has loads of older stuff that might be a bit outdated but the basic principles are fairly solid, and same goes for CG Masters. The Pistol I posted on here was the first proper thing I modelled solo (aside from using the pictures from @Zeldronix-II ) and without the help of a tutorial

• My workflow would likely make someone who knew what they were doing pale. I use Photoshop CC followed by Inkscape (a lot of my 3D models start with vectors being traced), Aspire (a CNC 3D software), zBrush, MeshMixer, MeshLab, NetFABB, and to be honest...TinkerCAD....a lot. I’m also trying to integrate my iPad Pro into the mix so am using Shapr3D, Affinity Photo, and Autodesk’s Graphic as well. A real mess I know...but it works for me...sorta ;-)

Oh...and I use photogrammetry a LOT. I was/am a huge fan of AutoDesk’s Memento...ReMake...ReCap Photo. They change the name like I change shirts.

till then the new design with a pirate's 'gem' base for the logo :-D

That gem base is going to look so sweet. Cool to see it in 3D

• [Insert the "Shut up and take my money meme here]

• @SpecialAdvisor
    That's quite a lot! I'm only work with Solidworks for product design. It's very geometric. I wouldn't dream of modelling something like your buckle with it.

• Amazing, keep up the good work. Would be interested to see some of these Disney props you spoke of.

• One thing I would advise is dialing back the size of the skull just a tad. There's something bothersome about the edges of the gem and skull lining up. I think it takes away from the depth of the skull slightly, and also the brilliance of the "gem" due to it being a bit too covered.

• @lucid-stew yup...thought about that myself :-)

• @pikaaroon said in 3D Printed Sea of Thieves Belt Buckle:

Amazing, keep up the good work. Would be interested to see some of these Disney props you spoke of.

I do have at least three applicable Pirates of the Caribbean related Disney props I’ve made. I posted one above as an example if memory serves...a belt buckle of a skull and crossed swords. I have another buckle using the cursed Aztec coin and my personal favorite...a virtually exact replica of the POC Entry plaque. Used that for various pins and a pipe stand for my Davy Jones meerschaum pipe I had carved in Turkey ;-)

Oh yeah...and my first ever prop replica, a Stow Yer Weapons sign from the ride.

...and a signet ring...think that’s it :-)

• I’ll dig up some pics...what the heck not too off topic. 3D and or CNCed Pirates props ;-)

• Here is my favorite of my Disney Pirates 3D projects. The entry plaque for Pirates of the Caribbean and a few things I've done with it. The model itself was done with photogrammetry and post processing in my various programs.

Bear in mind...I don't sell anything. This is all just for fun and for the odd thing for myself, family and friends.

alt text
    alt text
    The 3D Model

alt text
    alt text
    A few small pins.

alt text
    A pipe stand. I had that Davy Jones pipe carved in Turkey :-D

alt text
    An iPhone 7 case...kinda a draft version. Still needs some tweaking but just wanted to see if I could even do it.

Still digging up more pics...and waiting for the filaments to show up to print the Pirate Gem Buckle :-D

• Greetings fellow pirates! Still around...just been darn busy. This project shall still carry on...maybe just a bit slower for a short while :-)

• Drat it all...I'm still awaiting a usable translucent blue. Have everything else. Finally found some today which should deliver next week :-D

• More fodder for future use...can't wait to see the Art of Sea of Thieves book! :-D

alt text

• Wahoo! Translucent blue filament for the water layer has arrived! :-D

• @lucid-stew said in 3D Printed Sea of Thieves Belt Buckle:

One thing I would advise is dialing back the size of the skull just a tad. There's something bothersome about the edges of the gem and skull lining up. I think it takes away from the depth of the skull slightly, and also the brilliance of the "gem" due to it being a bit too covered.

"Almost" forgot to make this change...caught it at the last moment. I actually shaved a bit off the top of the gem layer so I did not have to reduce the size of the Reaper's Mark logo :-D

• I just posted this in another thread. A bit of a personal epiphany :-D

"I just realized something...I'm in a pirate simulation but am clearly not a pirate. I'm definitely from a different cut of sail cloth. I've decided to dub myself a member of S.E.A. The "Society of Explorers and Adventurers." Hey...what the heck. It's who I am. You run into me in-world you can be assured if you don't fire on me, I won't fire on you...ship's cannon or blunderbuss. In fact I might need to start a S.E.A. thread :-D"

Then I recalled I already have the belt buckle for it...now full attribution. S.E.A. is a mythical group that is said to exist somewhere in the Disney universe. But it fits here for me :-D

• Just finished. No cleanup at all. I’m digging the translucent blue and leaf green for the Reaper Mark logo.

The red gem backing is printing off now. Still on the fence if I’d go with that or a tan sand backing for my own final model. We shall see when the ‘ruby’ is done.

alt text

Views
67 out of 97