Skeleton Fort Key Despawn?

• So I am a sloop crew. Name is Solace of Time and my crew mate is TimedGuillotine. So him and I were doing a Skeleton Fort fought off two Galleons and sunk them. We finished the fort and another came so we hid the key in one of the watchtowers. We were at Keel Hull Fort by the way. One of the crew mates came to the island around 3:00 A.M. EST. just to give a time frame for you. So I sword swiped to the island killed him and looked in the tower. Nothing no key, this was about 5 minutes after we hid it. So I'm freaking out, and I look all around the island. Every nook and cranny, but still there was nothing to be found. So my question is, can the key despawn?

Views
  • Hm that's weird. I can only think of 3 reasons:

1)Someone took the key when you didn't notice.

2)It bugged and went to the side of the tower/ground under it.

3)Maybe the fort "resets" when you are not near it for some time?

One time we hid the key in a nearby island and went somewhere else to kill a galleon that was chasing us. We went back for the key and then to the fort.
    Thing is, in that time (which wasn't that long to be honest) all the gunpowder kegs and supplies respawned in the fort (The loot room had the treasure).

So maybe when it resets, it removes all other items on the island? I don't know if it's a thing.

• me and my crew have had a key hidden on a island for an hour atleast lying in a random bush. 1 person stayed behind on that said island but not standing near the key itself while we did go outside to the red sea baited the 2 gallions that was chasing us to try get the key to follow us out see us sink in red sea and think that the key is lost out there somewhere.

• My crew enacted a betrayal of the highest order against a crew at a fort recently. After the sloop at the fort begged to share we agreed but once the captain spawned we mercilessly sank them.

During the ensuing melee one of the sloopers took the key and hid it in the water somewhere (was a great spot so I'm not sharing)

I can confirm that it took us a good 15 minutes of everyone searching the island to find the key. So the key will not despawn, even in the water for at least 15 minutes.

Was the vault open when you returned to the fort? If so then you didn't hide the key as well as you thought. If not then they either took the key and left or you hid it so well that you couldn't find it yourselves.

• When the fort resets, the loot does not. We left a couple of items at the fort for about 30-40 minutes with no one on the island. Came back, everything was reset and our items were still there.

It definitely sounds like someone took it or it bugged out.

• All I can think of, especially only 5 minutes later, is that it fell through a gap between the planks or someone else took it.

I once did a fort with me galleon crew, we fought of several galleons and sloops that kept coming back.
    Near the end a sloop managed to kill the boss as our team tried to gunpowder it and failed, leaving only me on the ship as a shipguard left alive.
    When they respawned they went to the island, quite a stressful situation as there was a galleon coming in pretty hot and the sloop circling around the island at high speed, shooting a member over to the island while keeping 1 on there as a guard.
    They kept a distance from our galleon and chasing them wasn't worth it, so we searched the island as we killed the guy that was there from the sloop.
    He hid the key on the island... I found it in the bushes after my team couldn't find it for about 10 minutes... (I was supposed to stay on the ship)
    In the meanwhile the fight with the galleon had started and a 2nd galleon was already incoming again as well, the sloop still keeping their distance.
    I found the key and swam back to our boat dodging the other 2 galleons, as the 2nd galleon now joined the fight with our galleon and the 1st enemy galleon.
    Once on board I kept the key in hand... We tried to get away sneakely but someone of one of the 2 other galleons boarded us and he looked right at me while I had the key in hand... XD
    So we killed him and went off, and ofcourse 1 of the galleons started persuing right away as that was the galleon that saw me with the key...
    The sloop however was clueless...
    It was beautiful, we ended up getting the loot after doing some quests with the key hidden on a different island while being held by a teammate and going back for the fort an hour later with different shipcostumizations...

Sorry for the long story, just had to share this fun moment as this topic reminded me of it and I haven't told it yet... =þ
    But to awnser your question, I think it's more likely that the key has been found and someone got away with it.
    Once hidden, people think it's hard to find, but towers and bushes are the first places to be checked along with rock covered area's.
    Also people always seem to think that hiding the key on the fort island is the best way, I strongly disagree cause almost everyone uses that tactic, or in other words everyone knows about it.

Best would be to take the key, get chased, go past a few islands and on 1 of those islands you leave 1 or 2 people behind to protect the key, hopefully without the mermaid giving you away, so a decent distance is needed.
    Then sail a bit further, go through a storm or hide behind a big island or rocks, then scuttle and let them think you sank with the key or put it on an island near where you sank, making them look there.
    You'll respawn and check out the fort, no campers? Time to get that key and that booty! :D

Edit: It was hella boring for the dude holding the key for about an hour though... XD

• @personalc0ffee said in Skeleton Fort Key Despawn?:

Honestly chasing someone with the key is a losing situation and a waste of time.

It is usually not worth the time investment.

The sunk cost fallacy in its prime.

• We have stashed a skull for 2 hours before and it was still there when we came back.

• @solace-of-time написал в Skeleton Fort Key Despawn?:

So I am a sloop crew. Name is Solace of Time and my crew mate is TimedGuillotine. So him and I were doing a Skeleton Fort fought off two Galleons and sunk them. We finished the fort and another came so we hid the key in one of the watchtowers. We were at Keel Hull Fort by the way. One of the crew mates came to the island around 3:00 A.M. EST. just to give a time frame for you. So I sword swiped to the island killed him and looked in the tower. Nothing no key, this was about 5 minutes after we hid it. So I'm freaking out, and I look all around the island. Every nook and cranny, but still there was nothing to be found. So my question is, can the key despawn?

answer:
    Key not despawning till next fort so for next 3 hours its yours, if u didn't sink it in water

• @personalc0ffee You spent hours fighting for the skull fort, therefore feel like you've invested a lot of time and if you keep chasing the ship you'll get that key and the time spent will be worth it. When in fact it would have been better off just leaving it and doing anything else.

edit not you personally

• @nefrit-od said in Skeleton Fort Key Despawn?:

@solace-of-time написал в Skeleton Fort Key Despawn?:

So I am a sloop crew. Name is Solace of Time and my crew mate is TimedGuillotine. So him and I were doing a Skeleton Fort fought off two Galleons and sunk them. We finished the fort and another came so we hid the key in one of the watchtowers. We were at Keel Hull Fort by the way. One of the crew mates came to the island around 3:00 A.M. EST. just to give a time frame for you. So I sword swiped to the island killed him and looked in the tower. Nothing no key, this was about 5 minutes after we hid it. So I'm freaking out, and I look all around the island. Every nook and cranny, but still there was nothing to be found. So my question is, can the key despawn?

answer:
    Key not despawning till next fort so for next 3 hours its yours, if u didn't sink it in water

this is not correct I have hidden/held a key until the next fort spawned elsewhere on the map and then I went back for my key and opened the original fort. seems it never despawns also thigns that sink in the water now you can pick up since a cpl patches ago , so you just have to remember where tyhey sink

• I've hidden the key and came back to get it later.. I've also seen the key get dropped in water and it glitches out and SOME people couldn't pick it up but at least one other person could.

• @boxcar-squidy Sorry for not responding fast enough. No the vault wasn't open. We tried to make an agreement to the galleon that sank us to help the find the key and let them have the loot. But no It wasn't in the water or on the outside of the tower. The galleon crew didn't have the key because they thought we had it. Eventually we said forget about it and we just server jumped.

• I've sailed a good 2 and a half hours with a key multiple times. But I have my first mate take the key and hide on a neighboring island and sail around. He will hold on to it while I cover him by keeping the attention focused on me. Worst comes to worst he hides it in a bush and mermaids to the sloop and we'll go back and get it.

• @solace-of-time If the game is operating correctly. No they can not despawn. Thats not to be said the game somehow screwed up. But. From experience. I have never seen it or heard about it happening. My guess is either

A) Someone stole it. Which is my primary guess. The very first spot people look for keys is nearby bushes and the watch towers.
    Or
    B) Somehow you may of dropped it off the tower into the water. But at which point. It should of been under the tower floating. I'm sure you would of checked. So I'm guessing not that scenario.

Either way. I've left keys on the island and both me and my crew mate sailed away. Did a entire voyage. Came back after the coast was clear (we were being attacked before). The key was exactly where I hid it. Sorry to hear tho.....

Many a treasure has been lost in this game for me. Lol even lost a 50k haul. Due to both me and crew mate getting almond beard..... Got the replay to cry to too. XD

Views
1 out of 15