Killer Whale Figure Head

• So I’ve been chugging along through the Hunters Call ranks, just hit 47 today, working on that beauty of a ship before I move on to the arena. I gotta say I love the Killer Whale ship...until I saw the figure head.

I was fishing with a guy that has hit 50 already and put the figure head on, and can I say this thing is derpy!

The rest of the ship is a nice cloudy green and blue and the canons are covered in fish scales. BUT the crown jewel to this thing is a cartoon, bug eyed, goof troop of what was suppose to be a sword fish!

I just don’t get it. The Hunters Call is full of these tattooed, peg legged, grizzled pirates that tasks you with fishing in storms and volcanos and fighting Megalodons and Krakens. (I know I’m making it sound a bit cooler than it is.)

After hours and hours and thousands of fish and hundreds of mermaid gems. We get this literal joke of a figure head?!? Nothing in the game is this goofy and cartoony?

What does everyone think? Anyone still fishing hoping to unlock this guy? Do you think Rare could have made something MUCH cooler? I’m not actually that mad, it’s funny in the least. Just wanted to point it out to those that haven’t had a chance to see this masterpiece. Lol

Here’s a link to the gamepedia for a look.

Views
  • It does a look a bit silly. I have the Hungering Deep Megalodon figurehead for a good replacement. Compared to most of the figureheads it looks a little amateurish, like a wood carving by a complete novice compared to the other ones that look a lot higher in quality.

• @oroku

Perhaps it's supposed to reflect Merrick himself. Lots of cool, grizzled pirate trappings, but when you get down to it, still a bit of a derp.

• @oroku
    Lol man thats look terrible

• Would have liked the sword fish from Donkey Kong County.

• I did read up on it a little bit. Apparently it heavily resembles a creature name Enguarde from the Donkey Kong games. I remember them from the water levels.

Not sure if it’s 100% on purpose, but probably a safe bet.

I was really hoping the figure head would look like a Stormfish, with the crooked nose and scratch up fins. But what can you do?

• @oroku Yeah it's supposed to be enguarde. I would much rather that be in the mtx shop and a storm fish figurehead as well.

• @oroku said in Killer Whale Figure Head:

So I’ve been chugging along through the Hunters Call ranks, just hit 47 today, working on that beauty of a ship before I move on to the arena. I gotta say I love the Killer Whale ship...until I saw the figure head.

I was fishing with a guy that has hit 50 already and put the figure head on, and can I say this thing is derpy!

The rest of the ship is a nice cloudy green and blue and the canons are covered in fish scales. BUT the crown jewel to this thing is a cartoon, bug eyed, goof troop of what was suppose to be a sword fish!

I just don’t get it. The Hunters Call is full of these tattooed, peg legged, grizzled pirates that tasks you with fishing in storms and volcanos and fighting Megalodons and Krakens. (I know I’m making it sound a bit cooler than it is.)

After hours and hours and thousands of fish and hundreds of mermaid gems. We get this literal joke of a figure head?!? Nothing in the game is this goofy and cartoony?

What does everyone think? Anyone still fishing hoping to unlock this guy? Do you think Rare could have made something MUCH cooler? I’m not actually that mad, it’s funny in the least. Just wanted to point it out to those that haven’t had a chance to see this masterpiece. Lol

Here’s a link to the gamepedia for a look.

lol it does

• lol, previously I had the anglerfish/wrecker looking figureheads and the Poseidon/Triton figureheads as worst in the game (I might like the latter a lot, but they didn't do a good job on the coloring/styling). Looks like they have a third for a trio now.

• @starquest Watch them put a cool, mean looking sword fish in the shop instead.

Maybe they’ll finally have the rest of our ship cosmetics in the shop to. :-/

Still waiting on the rest my Royal and Imperial Sovereign ship cosmetics.

• Yes I agree 100% OP.

The figure head is a joke. Nothing Killer about it! More Mickey Mouse.

Considering all the game gives you to show your journey is cosmetics, the standard put out by Rare is very poor.

Good job on L47! Still only L28 myself. But no rush.. there is only a rubbish figurehead at the end anyway.

• @oroku terrible indeed...
    Luckily I do have the Megalodon Figurehead from The Hungering Deep which is what I use with the set.

• @nunoazuldimeter That's nice!

• Looks like a keychain I once had

• If you don't want a cute looking fish on your ship, try the bilge rat one.
    Will match the colour of the Killer Whale set and looks much meaner.

• ..thats the reason the figurehead is decent :)... conker and battletoads pls

• @weedstar-deluxe said in Killer Whale Figure Head:

..thats the reason the figurehead is decent :)... conker and battletoads pls

I get Rare linking other games with cosmetics, but I would rather see that sort of content in the cash shop and not forced on players of Sea of Thieves.

Many SOT players do not care about their old games and have never played them. It really is pure vanity on Rare’s part to put these type of goofy cosmetics as rewards for the key trading companies.

Well Rare have listened in the past. Maybe they will read this thread and agree. Fingers crossed.

• @nunoazuldimeter The Hungering one is what I’ve been using on my way to 50 not know what this thing looks like. It for sure is a much better fit.

Might go ahead and get the Sea Dog one once and for all and see how it looks.

• @biter-wylie Thanks! It’s been none stop fishing.

But your right, for a game that only allows you to buy and unlock cosmetics THERE ISN'T ANY!

We’ve got like a dozen ships, and only half of them have full sets?

I don’t care about PVP vs PVE or if they give PLs more stuff to do or more updates and new ships.

RARE JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING TO SPEND THIS GOLD ON! Give a pink ship with daffodil sails and a bunny rabbit figure head. I don’t care, just something new!

• It's subjective, but I love it :)

• @biter-wylie said in Killer Whale Figure Head:

@weedstar-deluxe said in Killer Whale Figure Head:

..thats the reason the figurehead is decent :)... conker and battletoads pls

I get Rare linking other games with cosmetics, but I would rather see that sort of content in the cash shop and not forced on players of Sea of Thieves.

Many SOT players do not care about their old games and have never played them. It really is pure vanity on Rare’s part to put these type of goofy cosmetics as rewards for the key trading companies.

Well Rare have listened in the past. Maybe they will read this thread and agree. Fingers crossed.

That is one thing I will agree with... most of the players playing SoT are really too young to care or maybe even know about Rare's heritage and older games.

• @biter-wylie they could have made it look better and matched it at the same time like they made the banjo kazooie figure head good looking.

• @oroku said in Killer Whale Figure Head:

@starquest Watch them put a cool, mean looking sword fish in the shop instead.

Maybe they’ll finally have the rest of our ship cosmetics in the shop to. :-/

Still waiting on the rest my Royal and Imperial Sovereign ship cosmetics.

Well so far they have said any shop cosmetics will be based on other games. So perhaps a gears of war ship. Or battletoads, conkor, etc. Maybe the borderlands ship set as well.

• I think it's cool. Looks different and not just more of the same. Stands out with that color and simplicity.

• It's modeled after Enguarde the Swordfish, this goofy little chap from a really old Rare game! alt text

• @biter-wylie I can't disagree more with you. It's a bit selfish to assume that just because nobody played their old games, that they don't care about them. I love DKC because it's my mother's favorite game. Despite never playing DKC, I always themed things around it to make her happy. That's in the past now...

But when seeing this figurehead, I was disappointed, like the OP. However, apon noticing it is a reference to DKC, I love it, and have to say it's probably my new favorite figurehead.

• @oroku Funny that you think that crazy family sailed the Killer Whale! Only one person in the family was on the killer whale and it’s Merrick. So you got to based the expectations on Merrick not the family, even though very little of the family are stone faced hunters. One of them is literally insane.

• @weststormborn I never said the family sailed on The Killer Whale. I said the family is full of gruff tattooed peg legged pirates.

What’s extra insane is the cold black bug eyes of this figure head staring back into the empty void of my soul calling into stark relief my darkest deeds on the sea... so many chickens... so much blood... lol

And again, I’m not actually mad about it. I really do think it’s funny and should have it unlocked today! Just hit 49 last night. :-)

• I agree 100%. Change the figurehead to something that's worth our efforts of gettin to level 50!

Views
21 out of 29