whirlpools

• we already have e really beautiful storms in the game I'm just throwing the idea out there of adding a whirl pool whether it be say a rare cursed cannon ball shot in the water to summon it and affect the seas for many various reasons escape,fight,race or make it happen on blood moons in the eye of the storm I dunno just a idea curious if others would be interested

Views
  • I like it! I think the same crowd that complains about flaming rocks in DR, megalodons, and cursed ships might hate it, but I would love it.

• Same! Would love to see something like this.

• @tw15t3done I think you mean Maelstrom... Whirlpools are kinda small and not that exciting. xD

Whirlpool is the water equivalent of... a dust devil.

Maelstrom is the water equivalent of a tornado.

• @sweltering-nick actually a waterspout is the the water equivalent of a tornado but I know what you mean lol

• @jza16 I was thinking more of huge pirate of the carabean water swirl

• @tw15t3done

Not a cursed cannonball shot, it would be better to make it a random event. I'd perhaps like to see a larger storm that occasionally pops up, and then a chance for the malstrom to spawn within that, along with perhaps swirling currents around the majority of the storm itself as well. An interesting idea would be an arena match entirely within this storm, where the storm is frozen in place and takes up the entire area. Sailing to the center would allow crews to leave someone to sail the ship around the dip, and perhaps the rest go to an island in the center of it, to fight for the only chests in the match.

• I'd like to see a weather event that took the entire map like a mega storm maybe with tornado or just huge wave i don't know but something affecting the entire map would be interesting .

• @jza16 said in whirlpools:

@sweltering-nick actually a waterspout is the the water equivalent of a tornado but I know what you mean lol

No, that's just a water-infused tornado, i'm talking about the water equivalent, as in, an underwater tornado... That be a Maelstrom, matey.

• @sweltering-nick

Actually, think of a whirlpool as a tornado and a maelstrom as a hurricane.

• @ultmateragnarok The only difference between a Tornado and a Hurricane, is where they form...

Tornadoes form on land... Hurricanes form at sea.

Aside from this, they are identical in function, and threat. So whilst you may think of it like that, it's quite a pointless distinction.

• @sweltering-nick

I meant the comparison in size. A maelstrom is far larger than a whirlpool, the same as a hurricane to a tornado. While they both form off of similar circumstances (albeit one on a larger scale) and both give similar results, they are vastly different in size, and as such, in commonality as well.

• You guys are arguing over semantics. It's not important! We know what you're asking for!

• @ultmateragnarok said in whirlpools:

@sweltering-nick

I meant the comparison in size. A maelstrom is far larger than a whirlpool, the same as a hurricane to a tornado. While they both form off of similar circumstances (albeit one on a larger scale) and both give similar results, they are vastly different in size, and as such, in commonality as well.

The reason a hurricane is bigger than a tornado, is because of the water... It creates more momentum.

A tornado can sometimes turn into a hurricane when it travels into the sea.

A whirlpool is like a dust devil, and NOT tornado... because Dust Devils are harmless, except for the dust which can cause some mild annoyances... Whirlpools are equally harmless, whirlpools are literally underwater drains... caves or sometimes a result of an underwater current hitting a particular rock formation, creating a mild swirl where water flows through for example... Causing you to see said swirl in the surface of the water, aka, the whirlpool.

The only danger a whirlpool has, is to underprepared swimmers, that get caught in the current and get sucked down faster than they can swim up, causing them to drown... It has no effect on ships, whatsoever... it MAY cause a rowboat to slightly alter course as it rows over one. :P

Do you have a better understanding of what a whirlpool is now? xD

A Maelstrom, destroys everything with skin-peeling water pressure... It crushes entire ships (wooden ships, anyhow) and then sucks the debris to the bottom of the sea.

As i said:
    Whirlpool is the water equivalent of Dust Devil.
    Maelstrom is the water equivalent of Tornado/Hurricane.

• Just for clarity, this is the kind of thing I assumed we are talking about and something I would love to see happen in the game...

• @ghostpaw said in whirlpools:

Just for clarity, this is the kind of thing I assumed we are talking about and something I would love to see happen in the game...

Yepp, that's a maelstrom! :)

Views
1 out of 16