Safer Seas FAQ

• @lem0n-curry said in Safer Seas FAQ:

@draaloff-x said in Safer Seas FAQ:

@lem0n-curry said in Safer Seas FAQ:

@lem0n-curry
    For gold gain, it is considerably faster and almost as safe to simply put up the Gold Hoarder emissary flag and go back and forth between the nearest sea fort and Sovereign Hut.
    The time lost sailing isn't an issue, as you'd either have to wait for the fort to reset or sail to another one.
    It becomes 30% with no interference vs 100~250% with a low chance of interference.
    With longer voyages the risk certainly becomes more of an issue, but it would still be more worthwhile to use the above method.

If that's what you want to do and you feel it's low risk, then why would you choose to do that on Safer Seas ?

To me it seems disingenuous to use a low risk-quick-high payout type of encounter and then extrapolate its time-gold ratio for activities that are far more time consuming / higher risk.

I wouldn't choose to do that on Safer Seas; I'd do time-consuming commendation stuff instead.
    My point is it takes between 3.33 and 8.33 times as much work to grind gold in Safer Seas, and it's much quicker to do a quick, minimal risk activity like sea forts in High Seas instead.
    I don't think Safer Seas should be as quick to grind as High Seas, but the current variance is extreme.
    Being unable to sell at Sovereign Huts also adds a significant amount of wasted time to a play session.
    If the payout was 70% (30% less than High Seas) and we could sell at Sovereigns, then I think it would be a lot more reasonable.

Again, you're using an easy, low risk and fast way of getting gold and extrapolate it, so you would get more gold for doing something that would be (much) higher risk, time-consuming on High Seas, but far more easy, quicker and about zero risk on Safer Seas.

How much time would it take to do a fort on Higher Seas, use the average sinking for average crew or other interuptions by other crews and compare that to the time it takes to do on Safer Seas. Some crews might make more on Safer Seas with 30% than 100% / divided by sinking on Higher Seas or even with more risk for partially 250% / divided by even more sinking.

Even if they won't sink - doing the fort with another crew interfering (or even just passing by) can take a lot of extra time. Time they won't have to spend on Safer Seas.
    They might make 30% of the standard value, but they will take considerably less time in finishing the fort and getting all of the loot on their vessel.

Yeah the time spent on interference themselves but also other safety measures as keeping a lookout for other ships or boarders, making detours to avoid people (for those who would change course for a different outpost if one is occupied) also won't be needed and speed up a lot.

Again, you're using an easy, low risk and fast way of getting gold and extrapolate it, so you would get more gold for doing something that would be (much) higher risk, time-consuming on High Seas, but far more easy, quicker and about zero risk on Safer Seas.

How much time would it take to do a fort on Higher Seas, use the average sinking for average crew or other interuptions by other crews and compare that to the time it takes to do on Safer Seas. Some crews might make more on Safer Seas with 30% than 100% / divided by sinking on Higher Seas or even with more risk for partially 250% / divided by even more sinking.

Even if they won't sink - doing the fort with another crew interfering (or even just passing by) can take a lot of extra time. Time they won't have to spend on Safer Seas.
    They might make 30% of the standard value, but they will take considerably less time in finishing the fort and getting all of the loot on their vessel.

A Skeleton Fort holds between 25,000 and 45,000 gold. This becomes 8,250 to 14,850 in Safer Seas.
    It would still be faster to do a Sea Fort in High Seas without an emissary bonus at its minimum payout, which is 15,000 gold.
    It's even worse if you factor in the longer travel and selling times.

Excluding emissary flags, you'd have to lose 70% of your loot on average for grinding gold in Safer Seas to be worthwhile.
    If you include emissary flags (which can be quickly levelled up once or twice with just one Sea Fort), then that percentage grows even further.
    I imagine most people give up the game before reaching that point.

• @draaloff-x said in Safer Seas FAQ:

A skeleton fort holds between 25,000 and 45,000 gold. This becomes 8,250 to 14,850 in Safer Seas.
    It would still be faster to do a Sea Fort in High Seas without an emissary bonus at its minimum payout, which is 15,000 gold.
    It's even worse if you factor in the longer travel and selling times.

Excluding emissary flags, you'd have to lose 70% of your loot on average for grinding Gold in Safer Seas to be worthwhile.
    If you include emissary flags (which can be quickly levelled up once or twice with just one Sea Fort), then that percentage grows even further.

The thing is you seem to look at this with a purely % value but not taking account that the potential amount of gold earned can quickly get to 0% when you get attacked, which you won't in safe seas.

• @bloodybil said in Safer Seas FAQ:

The thing is you seem to look at this with a purely % value but not taking account that the potential amount of gold earned can quickly get to 0% when you get attacked, which you won't in safe seas.

I took it into account in the exact message you just quoted:

Excluding emissary flags, you'd have to lose 70% of your loot on average for grinding gold in Safer Seas to be worthwhile.

@bloodybil said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Ah my bad I must have missed that bit. Overall, I think that the peace of mind brought with the safety of the mode will be worth more to some people than others, but for sure some people are a lot more discouraged at losing all their stuff than missing out on a potential %.

It's not just about losing the loot though - it's also the extra time spend defending it successfully. Might take twice as long to do the fort even when you don't sink.

It's not just about losing the loot though - it's also the extra time spend defending it successfully. Might take twice as long to do the fort even when you don't sink.

I'm not denying Safer Seas will be great for relaxing and commendation grinding, and I said as much in my first post that kicked this off.
    My point is that the 30% payout penalty in Safer Seas is so low that not even a Skeleton Fort at maximum value is worth as much as a single sea fort in High Seas at minimum value.
    I find this ridiculously low.

I'm not denying Safer Seas will be great for relaxing and commendation grinding, and I said as much in my first post that kicked this off.
    My point is that the 30% payout penalty in Safer Seas is so low that not even a Skeleton Fort at maximum value is worth as much as a single sea fort in High Seas at minimum value.

It's about the same risk though.

Player immunity shouldn't be cheap IMO, I think its a good balance and both modes will always be there, people who find they aren't making enough in safe sea can up the stakes and go to high, or go to safe if things are getting too much in high. Modes are complementary, safe isn't meant to replace high, and there should be a big enough difference between them.

• @bloodybil said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Player immunity shouldn't be cheap IMO, I think its a good balance and both modes will always be there, people who find they aren't making enough in safe sea can up the stakes and go to high, or go to safe if things are getting too much in high. Modes are complementary, safe isn't meant to replace high, and there should be a big enough difference between them.

That's true. Honestly I'm way more concerned over the lack of Captaincy than the gold, but the conversation ended up focusing on that.

Captaincy:
    ・Why can't we progress PvE milestones when we can progress PvE commendations?
    ・Fishing and Tall Tales were specifically called out in the Season 10 announcement, yet we cannot progress the related milestones.
    ・Not being able to sell at Sovereign Huts will make Safer Seas less viable for shorter play sessions, which it would otherwise be ideal for.
    ・Safer Seas is ideal for children and people with disabilities (who were also called out in the Season 10 announcement), yet they cannot use their ships.
    ・Safer Seas' players will have no reason to buy Captaincy items in the Emporium, and people who have already bought some will have less usage of them.

I'll also add that the lack of Captain Voyages also makes shorter play sessions less viable.

• Just make PvE servers. No extra work, no changes to gold/rep/commendations. Just disable PvP and so many people will be happy and play the game.

Safer seas is much extra work but completely useless for many players. I can't usy my ship or get rep to 50. But I don't want PvP.

Why make it so complicated if you can just add an option for PvP on/off?

• @bl4cksh33p Adding an PvP off switch to the code is not as easy as you might think it is.

• I don't understand why they are limiting the progress und earnings in Safer Seas!!!
    I'm really sad about these decisions!

I really like the game and its atmosphere, but the PvP factor just destroys the game.
    All the PvP Players I met where really toxic and just destroyed the fun and progress in this game.
    When they are not changing the penalties for playing in PvE me, and many of my friends, will leave this game for ever!

• Ahoy!

The FAQ provided by Shelley is clear as to why Safer Seas are being done in this way.

The information provided gives our design intent for this feature as well as for the game overall.

If people can't remain civil and read the information provided by Shelley and the team I will drop anchor on this thread.

• The game design and intent for Sea of Thieves is a shared world adventure, and it always will be. Those who wish to play in the confines of Safer Seas will always have the option to do so and not partake in the shared world, but we will not bring the rewards and activities in line with those of High Seas when many of the restrictions are in place due to the risk vs reward factor that is inherent in Sea of Thieves - removing any risk means rewards must be balanced accordingly.

Safer Seas will act not only as a safe space for our Tall Tale players but also for families with children who just want to pirate, for people who want to play the game but learn the ropes and it will organically feed into Adventure mode, keeping the player pool there healthy and upskilled as they've learned the mechanics.

This is not only useful for new players but families, players with accessibility needs - the whole game suddenly become available in a way it hasn't before, letting them naturally progress to High Seas and being a Pirate Legend. SoT has grown a huge amount in 5 years and it can be fairly overwhelming.

The borders put in Safer Seas mean that to experience the full depth and breadth of the game you will have to hit the high seas BUT if you're playing with your family you don't have to, you can just enjoy the game and have fun.

High Seas will always be there for players to progress to in order to earn full rewards.

• While I think the gold and experience penalty is a little overkill when factoring that there will neither be emissary flags or community events that come with boosts, that can be tweaked and fixed over time.

The only thing I can see atm that absolutely must be rectified though is, imo, the level 40 cap for emissary levels.
    Just dump that one entirely, it makes no sense and only punishes for playing safer seas.

If you want to encourage people moving to high seas without punishing those who want to just say on safer seas, which risks losing them, REWARD people for playing on high seas instead, something I think the faster rate of progress does already quite well.
    The cap makes no sense and is dumb, it will only sour the experience and view, not improve it.

• @j0toro sagte in Safer Seas FAQ:

The game design and intent for Sea of Thieves is a shared world adventure, and it always will be. Those who wish to play in the confines of Safer Seas will always have the option to do so and not partake in the shared world, but we will not bring the rewards and activities in line with those of High Seas when many of the restrictions are in place due to the risk vs reward factor that is inherent in Sea of Thieves - removing any risk means rewards must be balanced accordingly.

Safer Seas will act not only as a safe space for our Tall Tale players but also for families with children who just want to pirate, for people who want to play the game but learn the ropes and it will organically feed into Adventure mode, keeping the player pool there healthy and upskilled as they've learned the mechanics.

This is not only useful for new players but families, players with accessibility needs - the whole game suddenly become available in a way it hasn't before, letting them naturally progress to High Seas and being a Pirate Legend. SoT has grown a huge amount in 5 years and it can be fairly overwhelming.

The borders put in Safer Seas mean that to experience the full depth and breadth of the game you will have to hit the high seas BUT if you're playing with your family you don't have to, you can just enjoy the game and have fun.

High Seas will always be there for players to progress to in order to earn full rewards.

It is very nice to make the game more accessible, but it is sad that they limit the games contents and progression for those who don't wan't to play in PvP mode or just can't.

• @chebanana
    Yup, I'm not sure there's been a full understanding that there WILL be people who just cannot handle high seas in a way which makes it enjoyable for them, punishing them for staying on safer seas just serves to try to drive them off rather than retaining them to have a big, healthy playerbase.

High seas as it is is rather... intense, and needs some serious work to reign in the more randomly murderous parts of the community so player encounters are a tad more varied than solely being 'shoot on sight' for many, many players, regardless of how much, if any, loot either side has.
    In short, no limitations or controls of any kind means bullies who explicitly want to drive off players that can't defend themselves sufficiently, flourish.

• @drachern

You are 100% right, Sir!

• @j0toro said in Safer Seas FAQ:

The game design and intent for Sea of Thieves is a shared world adventure, and it always will be. Those who wish to play in the confines of Safer Seas will always have the option to do so and not partake in the shared world, but we will not bring the rewards and activities in line with those of High Seas when many of the restrictions are in place due to the risk vs reward factor that is inherent in Sea of Thieves - removing any risk means rewards must be balanced accordingly.

Thanks for this direct, clear and concise answer on the matter, I have no doubt there isn't any ambiguity left to be misinterpreted.

• @bloodybil sagte in Safer Seas FAQ:

@j0toro said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Thanks for this direct, clear and concise answer on the matter, I have no doubt there isn't any ambiguity left to be misinterpreted.

There is nothing misinterpreted here from my side, I just wanted to give a Feedback and explain my complains and problems with the game.
    Don't understand me wrong. I really like the game and tried to give some ideas to make the game more player and beginner friendly (in my opinion).

• @chebanana said in Safer Seas FAQ:

There is nothing misinterpreted here from my side, I just wanted to give a Feedback and explain my complains and problems with the game.
    Don't understand me wrong. I really like the game and tried to give some ideas to make the game more player and beginner friendly (in my opinion).

@chebanana said in Safer Seas FAQ:

I don't understand why they are limiting the progress und earnings in Safer Seas!!!

Well you did express not understanding the reasons behind Rare's decision, I just think that given how clear the message has been confirmed above, there is very little room for the community in general to misunderstand or wonder about said decision and direction anymore. It can't be used over and over as if it will mean more unfortunately.

@chebanana said in Safer Seas FAQ:

When they are not changing the penalties for playing in PvE me, and many of my friends, will leave this game for ever!

That's unfortunate you don't like the tradeoff, maybe some day you and your friend will give safe seas a chance.

• @j0toro said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Those who wish to play in the confines of Safer Seas will always have the option to do so and not partake in the shared world, but we will not bring the rewards and activities in line with those of High Seas

Safer Seas will act not only as a safe space for our Tall Tale players but also for families with children who just want to pirate

This is not only useful for new players but families, players with accessibility needs

While I agree with all these points, I'm still not seeing a reason for Captaincy not being included with Safer Seas.
    To me it just feels like everyone's ships are being held hostage in an attempt to get more people in High Seas.

I am one of the disabled players, and I'm looking forward to "pirating" in Safer Seas on days when I'm not well and my skills aren't as good... but not having use of my ship and the accessibility of Sovereigns is a motivation killer.

Captaincy:
    ・Why can't we progress PvE milestones when we can progress PvE commendations?
    ・Fishing and Tall Tales were specifically called out in the Season 10 announcement, yet we cannot progress the related milestones.
    ・Not being able to sell at Sovereign Huts will make Safer Seas less viable for shorter play sessions, which it would otherwise be ideal for.
    ・The lack of Captain Voyages also makes shorter play sessions less viable.
    ・Safer Seas is ideal for children and people with disabilities (who were also called out in the Season 10 announcement), yet they cannot use their ships.
    ・Safer Seas' players will have no reason to buy Captaincy items in the Emporium, and people who have already bought some will have less usage of them.

• A question i havent seen even replied to is the questions about captained ships. i just wonder what the reasoning is behind not allowing captaincy in safer seas. as far as i can read it dosent really add much in the first place beside maybe some sort of ownership feeling if you had already unlocked it.

• @morellius said in Safer Seas FAQ:

A question i havent seen even replied to is the questions about captained ships. i just wonder what the reasoning is behind not allowing captaincy in safer seas. as far as i can read it dosent really add much in the first place beside maybe some sort of ownership feeling if you had already unlocked it.

The last line in that post touched your question previously:
    alt text

It's an additional incentive to go to High Sea

• Wish I'd read this before I reinstalled, which is my mistake, but this really is quite useless to anyone but beginners.

What exactly is the justification for not allowing higher level players to have the opportunity to enjoy unmolested play? If everything is 30%, why not allow all content to be accessed and advanced at that pace? I just don't get it.

Could've brought back a lot of solo players, but instead RARE once again listened to the players that solos wanted to avoid instead.

SMH, off to delete the game again.

• Again we get an employee response talking in absolutes. Like we will not bring the rewards and activities in line with those of High Seas, and we will never make pve servers so stop asking thread locked. While I agree with a lot of what SoT is doing, I can also see merit in making some of the changes people suggest. After all this is about retaining players and making money. Im sure changes will take place once some data has been collected in this experiment. Careful with the never's. Because never ever is apparently sometime in December.....

• @relic797
    Yep. Turns out that, surprise surprise, people's opinions do change and sometimes, so too do visions for a game. But, of course, to admit such would be to humble oneself and admit they were wrong (funny how a certain Joe Neet looked VERY defeated during the announcement video. Hint hint), and that's something that Rare and it's employees have historically hated doing with regards to this game. And while I'm not happy with the restrictions on this mode, I do believe it is a step in the right direction, which is why I will be showing my support for it by playing (and very likely enjoying it quite a bit) it when it comes out.

In the end, it might have taken 5+ years of voicing the opinion, but eventually the message did finally hit. And if supporting the game via this new mode is what it takes to prove that yes, PvP and PvE can exist both separately AND together without either one killing the other, I will gladly keep up voicing my opinion on how Safer Seas can be improved for another 5 years.

Lesson to be learned here: Don't get so stuck in the past and your vision (which is rarely ever reflected in reality, btw) that you completely dismiss obvious fixes and improvements when they are brought up.

• @silverwing-525
    Yes I really hope they listen to the players...

• @chebanana
    Same here. I can't say I expect it to be a quick or painless process. It will most likely take a year or two at the least. But they seem to have learned the lesson of "If you keep telling people to go play something else because the game isn't for them, then at some point, they will do just that" at the very least. And the best way to help guide them in that direction is to give the new mode a shot while continuing to mention how it can be improved.

• Let me first be very clear, the post I'm about to make is my own personal opinion.

For years I've watched some people buy a PvEvP game then proceed to demand a PvE only game and for years it has left me very confused. Do you for example go out and buy a bed to then demand it to be a couch instead because what you really wanted was to sit comfortably, not lay down and sleep? Do you rent an action movie then demand the studio to make it a romantic comedy instead because you prefer those?
    I can personally not think of any other scenario where anyone would demand that a product is at it's core redsigned to their wants and needs after they buy it.

Yes, I understand that there are scenarios where a PvE only mode could be preferable. Such as for example when you want to set sail with your young kids, when you just want to goof around, when you want to just do Tall Tales or fish for a few hours and so on. Or if you're brand new and want some chill time to figure out how everything works. With Safer Seas there will now be room to do so. But it's not there to replace the core game - it's not there to be a full PvE only mode because this isn't a PvE only game. I hear people already demanding and/or predicting that it will be expanded on because the "vision of the game has changed" or "the devs realized x, y and z". No. Take a moment, read through the original post again because I feel that those of you who are on that track may have misunderstood the whole thing.

Again, I'm expressing my own personal opinions and experiences here. Thank you for your time.

• Will there be any commendations or achievements that require us to use Safer Seas?

• @phantaxus said in Safer Seas FAQ:

Will there be any commendations or achievements that require us to use Safer Seas?

Safer Seas will be a subset of current Adventure servers - they will not add something to Safer Seas that's not in High Seas. If a future feature in High Seas is deemed (by Rare) to be also viable for Safe Seas - that will be added (I guess); but there will be not only Safer Seas features introduced.

Views
231 out of 280