Reviving the SEA CRED Sys ..for Forums and In-Game Peer Recognition..

• This is a THREAD MOVE for Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R') -- seeing that the discussion has shifted from a Community-Base Initiative to a more RARRRE-Implemented Mechanic for Game and Forum.

Here are some suggestions already made in the Original Thread :: Please Upvote them there so they can get due credit ::

@xdilligafx1974 said in Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R'):

If there were a system for "Sea Cred" now, I would see it being a visual based on in-game actions. The more positive / negative your actions, the different titles / Commendations / clothing & ship options / etc you'd have access to.

Almost like a modified "Fable" system, in a way.

I would also like to see an in-game system where you could give a player either a positive "Mark of Commendation" or negative "Black Mark" for their actions. You could only use it once per day and only if that person was in the same server as you.

For example: If I were trying to finish an event and someone helped me; I could give them a "Mark of Commendation". Unless they were wearing a certain type of clothing or a particular title, I would have no idea what their current rank is so it would be based strictly on my interaction with them. It would be completely up to them whether they wanted to "announce" their particular alignment (for lack of a better term) or not.

Before anyone says, "But, that system can be abused too..." As far as I'm aware, there's not a system in this game, or any other, that can't be abused in some form.

Basically, let the players have a voice (and a way) so they can speak for themselves.

@sshteeve said in Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R'):

like the idea, but with some of the newer forum goers and a few trolls who have crawled out from under their bridges a down vote system would be misused even more.
    DefiNotley agree that there are a lot of nice pirates out there in need of cred!

I've sort of rethought the upvote / downvote system a bit...

How about if I added:

• You can only upvote & downvote once each during a 24 hour period.
    • Anyone you wish to give a MoC or BM to has to be on your server.
    • You cannot give a MoC or BM to anyone in your crew.

This would contain the possible abuse issues because if someone was trolling / being a "jerk" (for a nicer term) you could only give them 1 Black Mark per day. The next day, if they were not on the same server as you, you could not give them another one (for continuous retribution).

Same goes for the opposite... You can't team up with a friend and give each other a "Mark of Commendation" every day to artificially inflate your upvotes.

However, in both cases; multiple people could give out whatever "Marks" to the same pirate for their individual gameplay / interactions.

Actually, that would be an interesting way to possibly resolve the: "Be a jerk / troll & server hop" tactic some have witnessed lately.

@moomintroll said in Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R'):

I think that system sounds almost perfect - I only worry about the illegitimate use of the downvote, e.g. anyone who gets sunk by someone and gets annoyed. I'd also maybe limit the ability to upvote your own crew? Or maybe only if they're on your friends list?

@moomintroll said in Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R'):
    There are reasons why I figured the "once per day" of giving someone a positive or negative mark would be acceptable. If players knew they could only award a MoC or BM once per day, they might save it for someone who actually deserves it.

For example: Player A gives Player B a "Black Mark for being annoying (sinking his ship / killing him / steals his loot) he's used his decision for the day. So, if he gets spawn camped by Player C who verbally abuses him with profanity he can't "downvote" Player C because he's already used his Black Mark for the day.

On the opposite side of the coin...

Player A gives Player B a "Mark of Commendation" (ie: upvote) for being generally helpful. But, later in the day Player A is working an event and Player C helps him finally finish it; he has no more "upvotes" for the day because he already used it.

The option to go back and reward (or punish) someone is not retroactive. It has to be used that day and only with someone actually on the same server as you. "Use it or lose it" as my dad used to say.

Another way to look at it is like this, someone having two dollars (votes) per day to use as they see fit. If they don't use it, it's not a big loss. But, if they (and several other people) use their $2 on the same thing (ie: players), then much bigger impacts can be made.

I know the system I put out there wasn't perfect, but there are no "perfect" systems in games. There are no way possible to cover what players can come up with 100% of the time. Players are still poking holes in WoW's systems and it's been out 11 years. Unfortunately, this means that someone will eventually come up with a way to "cheat" any system at some point, including one like this.

According to some of the Old Salts around here, I've come up with some rather good ideas (unlocking tattoos based on achievements, for example) and I was even able to describe the basics of those systems well enough for most people to understand (and even poke a few holes in, which I honestly appreciated). But, I don't actually work for a game company so, at the end of the day I've never had to actually code or implement them into the game.

@captnjaq said in Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R'):

However, the Daily Negative and Daily Positive reward system could work. But I think the Black Spot may reflect the same idea as Name-Blasting, which RARE doesn't condone.

IF the Sea Cred would be a RARE-based sys, there IS something that DeviantArt using to give cred/bling to someone, but it dives into the economy of the site. For them, it's a Badge Sys awarded by its members and not a tag given by the Company.

The base-line LLAMA badge is Free (with sunglasses or bowties add-ons being purchased by the Llama owner) whereas CAKE badges can be obtained through buying DA Points.ether it be LLAMA or CAKE, the more you are awarded the badge on either side evolves.

@captnjaq said in Sea Cred :: a Community-Based Ranking System R'):

On the RARRRE-implemented, In-Forums angle, another safety barrier could be that Sea Cred can only be given when visiting the pirate's profile page and not associated with any one post but more toward the overall individual here or in the game.

A few other safety barriers...

• Set up a text box with a minimum word count, near similar to how the Report mechanic works.
    • If possible, these SeaCred shoutouts could be posted somewhere on their Profile page
    • To help prevent fanclub-spamming, maybe change the cooldown time to 3 or 5 Days

Overall.

Bringing back SeaCred can give due credit to individuals and not come across as a form of bias from RARE, giving some power to the community in spotlighting or selected for recognition.

Views
  • @captnjaq

As I'm aware your original question wasn't based on an in-game system, but I had the thought about how the old "Sea Cred" worked around here (in the Forums) and how something similar could play out in the game.

I wasn't suggesting a system based on anything from Rare... More of a basic system that we, as the community, would use (if individuals chose) to vote someone up or down. It could be a private system. No one other than the person "voting" would know, not even the person receiving the "Mark."

Maybe this can explain how it would work...

alt text

• @xdilligafx1974:

Don't worry about it. Perhaps I should have known better but you have very good points. And maybe it would truly be best as a RARE-Implemented, Community-Enforced recognition sys.

I do like how you were able to tie in the game and would want to see it implemented.

So please. Keep it coming. R')

Views
2 out of 3