Dear Grifers

• So.....I have started diving into the game's lore and main quests, I find them fun unique but sometimes VERY LONG.
    I had spent over 18-24 hours for the past 3 days doing ONLY the main quests.
    and i only got to the 4th one (The Stars of Thief)
    Since there is no 'save' here you have to end it or start over the next time you play.

Now, I know that killing players and raiding ships is part of the game, some may say that it's the main thing and i can't say that i don't do it from time to time, it's fun and exciting, spicing things up. However there are couple of things that are driving me crazy!:

1) If someone tells you "I'm friendly" and doesn't shoot you WHY KILLING HIM?
    if you got rewards for taking ships and people down i'd get it. BUT YOU DONT.
    Now people will say: "because its part of the game and if you can't take it, leave"
    and they are right it is PART of the game which leads me to number 2

2) There is a thin line between raiding and grifing,
    (and overall being just gross and mean)
    when a ship has no loot and not attacking you, and saying I'm friendly you can move on or raid-that's fine but if someone is on a mission and destroying the ship causes a LOST of many hours of progress, that is just being disgusting and nasty. I always say "I'm on a quest so please don't kill me" but if you thought it would be funny to destroy a ship with a Galleon vs a Sloop then think again.

i have spent SO MANY HOURS REDOING MY QUESTS BECAUSE PEOPLE THOUGHT IT'S FUNNY PICK A FIGHT WITH A SMALL SHIP WITH 1 PLAYER.
    So i guess you can say: "don't play by yourself then"
    sadly that is not always an option and i don't play with randoms because most of them either grif when they see that it's a main mission and takes to long/ just do whatever they want and ruin the mission and the the goal.

You might think what a crying baby. and maybe I am being petty about it.
    but I had thrown SO MANY HOURS on just those mission which are SO SO SO unrewarding and to think someone can (and will) just come at any time and just make me start ALL OVER! is just crazy how gross can a person be (or a group)

Now of course i can't change the game, and honestly it's a lot of fun.
    but i hope that the next time you will see someone doing a quest and begging to not destroy the ship, you'll think twice. since you gain nothing from it.
    (TO MAKE IT CLEAR: i am talking about raiding/grifing a ship on a quest.)

ALSO: this is more the DEVELOPERS.
    what is the point in putting so much effort into the lore and storyline and missions when you a player can lose it all in a second, that is really making lose interest in doing the mission (and I'm not the only one)
    My solution is to add checkpoints/more checkpoints by progress/AT LEAST if someone died on a quest, send him to the island the mission is picked up from. i was sent to the other side of the world to many times!

Views
  • @scissorsluve said in Dear Grifers:

when a ship has no loot and not attacking you, and saying I'm friendly you can move on

Yes, because that's what real pirates did. Probably. Uh...

• @scissorsluve

Doing the Tall Tales can take a bit on your first go through. Personally, I got to where I treated my first run as practice, feeling out what it entailed and where I needed to go.

They can be completed pretty quickly, but it takes repetition. Though you are in luck, because a checkpoint system for Tall Tales is on the way. So that should take some of the strain off.

• @scissorsluve Can you tell me how much loot there is on this ship? Also, will the occupants attack you later when an opportunity arises? If you can tell, let me know how because it would really help me in the future.

BTW, I solo sloop a lot and I go after bigger ships all the time. They’d be foolish to ignore sloops as a potential threat. Just because you say you are friendly means absolutely nothing. Even if you have nothing to steal, you might go after them later if they allow you to just hang out in an area they are working in. You are looking at this only from your perspective based on your own goals. They do not know your true intentions or capabilities.

The Tall Tales are definitely completable solo, but you have to quit assuming the game was created with you in mind. The game was and is still designed primarily for crews. They didn’t put the lore and Tall Tales in for a solo player to go around playing archaeologist in peace. They were designed for a crew to tackle together. If you go it alone and have a hard time, that is not a sign that the tasks and lore are not accessible. It is a sign that you have chosen the most difficult route to achieve your goals.

The threat of other crews is part of the Tall Tale journey. Quit viewing them as a unnecessary nuisance. Once you know how to keep your boat safe, watch the horizon, and handle yourself in a fight it will go much smoother. The tales themselves are not difficult on their own. As far as adventure games with puzzles, they are a bit easy really. The difficulty comes with other threats in the way, and this includes other crews. It is a key part of the game.

• I said it once. I’ll say it again.
    Pirates are liars
    You friendly? No loot?? Suuuurrreee

• @scissorsluve

Why attack you?

Because they want to:

• Steal your loot (that you might have)
    • They enjoy a fight
    • They want to secure the area; all pirates are threats, if you believe being solo makes you a non-threat you are clueless (coming from someone that picks fights when in the mood as a solo!)
    • They are paranoid, don't trust your word
    • Simply because they can... open world game, you decide what you want to do.

This is an open world PvEvP game; You have to be ready to respond and act based on the situation you find yourself in. The intent, the reason and motivation of the other players is irrelevant. It is on you to take control of your own experience, it is on you to adapt, change the way you play to suit your needs, abilities, your plan and your goals... the other crews out on the sea are out to have their own fun, not to guarantee you have yours. They owe you nothing, they don't have to be merciful...

This is a game, meaning it is interactive, you can win or lose and both are acceptable outcomes. You play with or against other players, it is a multiplayer game and the fact that you are a solo doesn't change that aspect of the game.

I have heard of people that do these voyages with a rowboat to have a lower profile. People that hide the tall tale items when they see sails on the horizon, so if they come, sink them, that they can retrieve them later. Have seen people grab the tall tale items, move them to the island and have their ship take off in the opposite direction to divert the other crew away from the island, then once they notice they are near the ship: scuttle! While they are still at the island with their valuables.

It is on you to protect your interests, your treasure and your ship... be creative, use the tools available, use your strengths to achieve what you want. Play the game, when you lose, learn from it, adapt your tactic... maybe next time someone rolls up on you, make sure your anchor is raised (if your sails are up your ship wont move), that you keep a safe distance to just sail away... negotiate from a position of strength and advantages instead of letting yourself be at the mercy of others?

I have soloed a lot in this game, it is about awareness, decision making and adaptation to achieve what you want. There is no incentive to leave you alone if they are in control of the situation, I make a truce by showing that I am not an easy target.

You think being alone makes you an easy target, while you should not underestimate a lone wolf. Not all solo players are sheep, not all of us fear larger groups or accept that we are at their mercy. Yet being a part of a crew has a lot of advantages, makes it easier as you have back-up.

• @ghostpaw

The quests are not hard, they are LONG! I wrote that many times.
    and no i can't tell how much loot is on this ship. however many many times people got on my ship killed me and took it down even if I honestly have no loot and they KNEW THAT BY BEING ON THE SHIP.

Yes a Sloop can be a threat to bigger ships, and i did take down bigger ships with it, but I was ALONE and doing a quest. when you do a quest you have way to much at stake to risk it (depends on your progress) and a solo person is not is a very small threat then 2 people.

I didn't say they can't be completed obviously i completed the first 3 and the last one as well, all I said is that people MANY times make it harder to do it and yes as it is part of the game i can't change that NOR WANTING TO I just ask people to be more reasonable before attack and raiding. I don't attack people who are saying they are friendly and on quest caus' i know how it feels to start over multiple time.
    (also a player on a quest rarely have anything worth taking)

And i HAD NEVER said that it is something that should be removed i actually said the opposite (if you even read what i wrote)
    All i said was that people should be more reasonable and the game should give support to those who do decide to take the lore that is sometimes very time consuming and unrewarding (unlike fort raids and stuff like that)

Maybe asking people to be nicer and understanding is hard for you to understand and that is fine.
    When I raid a fort or whatever and people shoot at me and try to take down my ship I'd be annoyed if they made it but not as annoyed if they make me do something ALL OVER AGAIN after 3-6 hours of progress. at the end of the day it's just gold with almost 0 uses besides cosmetics. and you can get that gold back like in an hour but most mission are not 1 hour worth of time.(especially when you are alone)

IM NOT SAYING everyone is mean and grifing. I met wonderful people who helped me with some quests and i helped them.
    in the first mission there is unnamed very small island and we were like 4 ships there and they all were friendly and helped each other.

• @cotu42

To be honest I didnt't read all of it, just few point here and there so I'll reply to those is short:

1. Never said it can't be soloed. I did most of the mission and parts alone.
      I'm just saying that it's obviously harder and without the game support it CAN be next to impossible depends on your luck as well.

2. Being alone MAKES you an easy target. that is just a fact.
      It depends on the player on the ship at the end but a solo player is much easier to kill and raid than a bigger ship.

and those are the only two points that had meaning there....
    when you park a ship in an island and do your thing and a Galleon shoot at you out of no where, you can't do much about it. especially when 4 guys come on your ship and try to kill you as well 1V4 is not an even match.

At the end of the day all I wrote is people to be more reasonable before attacking.
    taking down a ship is an option NOT a duty. people will take you down even if you took a rowboat.
    but mostly what I said was that the game is not helping you make those quests and reducing risks with safe points.

• @burnbacon

We are NOT pirates!
    We are PEOPLE who PLAY!!! as pirates.

When i say I'm friendly/ having no loot i DON'T lie.
    That is called Honesty and people forget it Online because it had no direct consequences but people do get "hurt" by it.

This game is just based on trust issues and cowards.

@burnbacon

We are NOT pirates!
    We are PEOPLE who PLAY!!! as pirates.

That is called Honesty and people forget it Online because it had no direct consequences but people do get "hurt" by it.

This game is just based on trust issues and cowards.

The point is there are players who play as pirates who do lie. It is not a personal attack, but a variable that must be considered when making a decision on flight or fight.

• With the ledger you will find the seas rougher than they use to be, which unlike the monthy updates will be more permanent.

You are right about the sending to the other side of the world though, its really annoying. Fine i get that with pvp but dieing and sinking via pve wastes so much time. I guess if you loose your loot to pve youve got to work to earn it back.

@cotu42

To be honest I didnt't read all of it, just few point here and there so I'll reply to those is short:

1. Never said it can't be soloed. I did most of the mission and parts alone.
      I'm just saying that it's obviously harder and without the game support it CAN be next to impossible depends on your luck as well.

The fact that you put your success as a luck based event, shows that you do not take responsibility for your own game experience. Sure a kraken can appear at the worst moment or a skeleton ship hits you with a cursed ball that is bad... yet even those things can be adapted towards.

Luck has nothing to do with whether people attack you or not, they sail to you, you can see them coming. Adapt, adjust and out smart your opponents. They do not know you are on a Tall Tale, you could be doing anything... I suggest you read the whole thing; as I showcase a couple of options.

1. Being alone MAKES you an easy target. that is just a fact.
      It depends on the player on the ship at the end but a solo player is much easier to kill and raid than a bigger ship.

Really is all dependent on who you are dealing with, I raid while alone... so yeah not so true; some of us are lone wolves. I heard a galleon on an Athena tell me that a sloop cannot roll up to a galleon, while I was being pretty friendly, just wanted to be at the island and used my horn. They attacked me and were unsuccessful - I sank them. Also had that I was doing something at an island, a galleon came by... they actually sunk my ship, I asked if I could just finish off something as I didn't care about the selling just the achievement part (noticed they had a OOS for their athenas on the island). They laughed at me and tried to kill me. I think I claimed the island for over an hour, no ship, one life... kept killing them when ever they came on land- 4v1, when I was low I would retreat, heal, reset and continue pestering them. They even went to a different island to do another part of their voyage, hoping I would leave and I was just sitting in the skeleton throne spectating from my island till they returned and grabbed my horn and welcomed them back. They kept telling me to leave them alone, to leave (not with such friendly words) and I just told them, they shouldn't have messed with a solo and if they wanted to make a deal they could still do it, but they would have to give me more than I asked before... they declined and I kept it up till I tried to actually go for their ship, which ended in me being killed.

You are not helpless as a solo, you can do a lot as a solo. Sure you need to figure out how good the crew is you are up against, get some idea and act accordingly. Some bigger crews are scary, that is when I flee... some bigger crews are a good challenge and some are flat out bad.

If you are alone, you have no back-up, therefore a single mistake can be your end.. yet I don't think anyone will believe I am an easy target to raid, especially if I feel like being a try-hard. I choose what I am risking, how I want to play, there is no luck involved. The world changes around you, you have to be flexible, adapt to the situation and assess what for you is the objective - then act to achieve it!

Sometimes I flee, sometimes I fight... yet luck, easy target, ooh poor solo pirate! You choose to be a lone wolf, a master of the seas. Sure a crew is great, a crew gives advantages and nobody is stopping you from recruiting one if you so please. So coming to your 1v4 argument, it isn't equal... yet that doesn't mean you are helpless.

and those are the only two points that had meaning there....
    when you park a ship in an island and do your thing and a Galleon shoot at you out of no where, you can't do much about it. especially when 4 guys come on your ship and try to kill you as well 1V4 is not an even match.

When I park my ship and do my thing, I still every so often stop what I am doing - scan the surroundings and continue what I am doing. The fact that you let a galleon near enough to shoot at you out of nowhere... is on you not on the game. Don't get me wrong I have been caught out, yet most of the times I am on my deck, waiting for them or I already took off at that point.

There are some parts of the tall tales that require you to head below ground (most annoying aspect) yet in those cases I ensure that the valuables are not just sitting around on my ship. I take them with me, why because I cannot head up to the surface enough. I only have 1 set of eyes, 1 set of hands... so I have to adjust, my ship isn't safe in those situations, yet there are ways to keep safe what I care about at that moment.

Just because you are doing an activity doesn't mean you should put on blinders and just ignore the world you are a part of.

At the end of the day all I wrote is people to be more reasonable before attacking.
    taking down a ship is an option NOT a duty. people will take you down even if you took a rowboat.
    but mostly what I said was that the game is not helping you make those quests and reducing risks with safe points.

The people that are reasonable, I for one, will already leave you alone based on the interaction you have or their own assessment or mood. Don't get me wrong, at that point I am on your ship, you already died... based on the fight, the activity on your table and your actions I might call off the assault. Yet nobody owes you anything, nobody needs to be merciful and people like fighting, there also enough people that became paranoid because of it and will not risk it. Those that kill you regardless will not stop because you ask nicely.

Rare already announced they are introducing additional check-points, personally I think it isn't required yet don't have issues with it either. The game is not here to help you, it is here to challenge you!

Games are about interaction, challenges, achievements, winning and losing. There are risks you take, it is what makes games fun. If you want a predictable outcome, go watch a movie or read a book.

• @scissorsluve

That's what a liar would say.

When people tell you how trustworthy they are its usually because they aren't.

• @nabberwar

That is the most idiotic thing i have EVER read/heard.
    But you don't know me and i hot nothing to prove to anyone, that is me take it or leave it. I mean what i say and i say what i mean, LEARN

• @cotu42

Your replies are unnecessarly long.
    found myself either missing the point or loosing interest- shorten it up please.

This game is based on luck here and there. not 100% but luck is a factor here at times.
    And while luck is not a factor when someone attacks you or not, it is luck to even meet other ships on your aimed locations to begin with.

IF you read and understood what i wrote at the post you would see and i quote:

"So i guess you can say: "don't play by yourself then"
    sadly that is not always an option and i don't play with randoms because most of them either grif when they see that it's a main mission and takes to long/ just do whatever they want and ruin the mission and the the goal."

I had never said that I'm helpless vs a big ship alone, I said it makes me and easy target with it A FACT no matter how good you are in this game.
    1 player on a small ship vs 4 people on a big ship is not an even match.
    you can still take them down and again if you read my post you would have known that I cleared that as well (go back and read that part again pointless to right it again)

And yes maybe it's on me to let this ship get to close but not always you can see them coming/ in time. and when you parked your ship and they came it takes time to raise the anchor set sails and go especially when I'm alone. and in many many times you can't avoid those ships.

ALSO I'M GOING TO TYPE IT HERE IN CAPS AND MARKED SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND CAUS' YOU WROTE A NEW BOOK OF HAREY POTTER
    I SAID THAT THIS IS PART OF THE GAME AND I CAN'T CHANGE THAT OR WANT TO, BUT THE GAME CAN HELP YOU WITH IT VIA CHEACK POINTS AND NEW SPWAN SYSTEM IN QUESTS!

(P.S you are welcome to reply, but if you write another book i'd ignore. most of what you wrote is not even relevant to what was quoted or was touched and summed up in the post. please read it again)

• @scissorsluve
    Shorten it: Get good, take responsibility for your own experience... learn to play, do not underestimate solo players or get a crew.

Other players owe you nothing, mercy is not to be expected, learn to keep yourself safe.

Don't say I didn't try to give you a rasoanable answer.

• @scissorsluve Just cause you say you're friendly, they won't NOT attack you. Just because you're on a tall tale, they won't NOT attack you. Seriously. It's not griefing just because you're getting sunk.

• @cotu42

You didn't understand the post and that is fine.
    You are excused from this subject.

but before you go to your ignorant way:
    spawning system and checkpoint are not a matter or good/bad player, responsibility or learning.
    which was the point you COMPLETELY MISSED even when is was in caps and marked.

You should go write books not replies.....

• @scissorsluve if you would bother actually reading what I stated and my input in which I go into more detail you would know that checkpoints are on their way... I understood your post, you didn't bother reading what I wrote!

The fact is you want a 1 sentence response:
    Get GOOD, stop making excuses!

• @toastysmooth100

When you attack a solo player or even a duo.
    -NO loot
    -Not shooting even when can
    -And calling truce.

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW is griefing.
    (both ways attacked/attacking)

but again this post was not about what Dos and Don'ts
    it was about improving the protection system to those who chose the to the story.
    (by spawning, checkpoints etc, people seem to miss that point)

• @scissorsluve The tall tales don't need a protection system. You just need to fight back when you get attacked, it'll give you some kind of push back against these players that want to sink you.

• Dear PvEers,

We don't care what you have. You get sunk.

Signed,

Anyone on the sea

• @toastysmooth100

There should be one, and I was told a system like that is coming soon.
    because you can fight, that doesn't mean you'll win.
    and when you have to much at stake you rather save it and no fight.
    depending on the situation fighting is NOT always an option.
    BUT check points are a MUST have in this game.

@toastysmooth100

When you attack a solo player or even a duo.
    -NO loot
    -Not shooting even when can
    -And calling truce.

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW is griefing.
    (both ways attacked/attacking)

but again this post was not about what Dos and Don'ts
    it was about improving the protection system to those who chose the to the story.
    (by spawning, checkpoints etc, people seem to miss that point)

People miss a point.. because you don't bother reading there responses. There have been multiple responses including my own that told you:

@vac a-hombre said in Dear Grifers:

@scissorsluve

Doing the Tall Tales can take a bit on your first go through. Personally, I got to where I treated my first run as practice, feeling out what it entailed and where I needed to go.

They can be completed pretty quickly, but it takes repetition. Though you are in luck, because a checkpoint system for Tall Tales is on the way. So that should take some of the strain off.

@cotu42 said in Dear Grifers:

Rare already announced they are introducing additional check-points, personally I think it isn't required yet don't have issues with it either. The game is not here to help you, it is here to challenge you!

it is funny that you claim others don't read and understand your posts while you flat out refuse to read the posts of others, while they actually address the point you say we miss.

• @scissorsluve They aren't a must have, but if they come into the game, they come into the game. Still, you doing tall tales doesn't mean other players won't sink you. You're still on the seas.

• @mouse-n-keybord

Great comment!

next time reply when you actually know what it is about, or better yet READ THE POST BEFORE HAND

99% of the people here missed the point.

• @scissorsluve No one here missed the point. You just refuse to listen.

• @cotu42

I was sure i wrote to you that i DIDN'T read your whole reply caus it was long.
    Do YOU read?

and i saw that someone wrote that a checkpoint system is coming and that is nice. he was probably the only one to address the subject that i was talking about multiple times here.

• @toastysmooth100

I didn't tell people what to do and not to do (wrote that already)
    It's about think before you do something and take other player in mind.
    Honestly i do it, all the time. I don't attack friendly ships.
    Obviously i can't expect everyone to do that. but i cant expect people to play with more then just gold and loot in mind caus there is alot to this game than that.

I didn't say don't attack i said "reasonably"

and yes it is a MUST HAVE in this game.

• @scissorsluve

Maybe because your main concern and issue is: People attack me boohoo... You complain if someone gives you a long in depth response, yet you complain that people don't address everything.

If you want short responses you get:

1. Get good
    2. This is a pirate game, people sink each other
    3. If you are solo you are not excused from the brutalities of the seas
    4. Take responsibility for your own experience, don't rely on the mercy of others.

@scissorsluve said in Dear Grifers:

@cotu42

You didn't understand the post and that is fine.

Yet you refused to read my post and make claims that I didn't understand your post.

I read, apparently you don't.

• @toastysmooth100

you all missed the point.
    which was CHECK POINT SYSTEM ARE REQUIRED!
    most of the post was about understanding the point of you of people who grife and attack other while not in danger/risk of danger or business.

@toastysmooth100

I didn't tell people what to do and not to do (wrote that already)
    It's about think before you do something and take other player in mind.
    Honestly i do it, all the time. I don't attack friendly ships.
    Obviously i can't expect everyone to do that. but i cant expect people to play with more then just gold and loot in mind caus there is alot to this game than that.

I didn't say don't attack i said "reasonably"

and yes it is a MUST HAVE in this game.

It is reasonable to attack EVERYONE! Everyone even a solo is a threat, get back stabbed enough and you won't trust people either. Trust is earned not given.

Again, take responsibility, take into account that they are a threat to you and act accordingly.

You can beg for mercy, but there enough pirates that do not give the weak mercy.

• @scissorsluve Not required. It may be a want, and a nice want if you're someone who likes doing tall tales, but it is for sure not a thing that the game NEEDS. That's like saying back before the banjo came out, that it was a NEED, that it needed to be in the game, or else the game would be absolute garbage. It was just a want. You don't need a checkpoint system, but it would be nice to have if you do tall tales.

• @cotu42

Again you talk about things that were NOT even hinted.
    i wasn't asked to not be attacked and not me personally
    i asked that if you see a ship parking (especially small) parking in an island from a far don't blindly like a Pitbull caus for this person you can ruin hour and hours of gameplay.

and what it was all about!
    i was not crying about me being attacked, i was sharing it.
    yes this is a pirate game. but just caus you were given an option you dont have to use it.

• @scissorsluve People like using the option to fight though? And you were pretty much saying people shouldn't attack anyone. Because a player doing an athena could say "no wait we're friendly!" and they could be a solo sloop.

Views
21 out of 71