Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay

• Probably an oversight but it would be really nice to have that feature back. Nobody ever uses voice chat. Text chat is the only way to talk most of the time.

Rare pls fix thank you

Views
  • You're not using a keyboard if you opt into controller only. Keeps people from choosing opt out then plugging in their keyboard/mouse after they get on the server I would assume.

• What is the expression? You can't have your cake and eat it. The Opt-in Community welcomes you brother.

• Aren't chat pads a thing for xbox?

• @bloodybil they are, but they are recognized as a keyboard.

• I thought the Xbox could distinguish between a controller mounted ChatPad and a USB Keyboard?

I seem to recall not being able to bind actions to my ChatPad that did function on my Mini USB Keyboard, but that may have been before full blown Kb/M support.

• @captain-coel said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@bloodybil they are, but they are recognized as a keyboard.

Really? Oh well. Time to buy a mic then I suppose.

• @bloodybil said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@captain-coel said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

I opted to not opt out, it was easier.

• @captain-coel said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@bloodybil said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@captain-coel said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

I opted to not opt out, it was easier.

That works too!

• @nabberwar not really the point. Opt out is to negate the advantage M/KB has over controller. Typing in text chat is not an advantage. Would be nice to have that feature back.

• @bootmaclir Yeah it makes sense, but would still be nice to type in text chat. Unless it cant be done then oh well, but I dont think the removal of text chat was intentional, probably just an oversight when they just blocked keyboard use.

• @iduskk said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@bootmaclir Yeah it makes sense, but would still be nice to type in text chat. Unless it cant be done then oh well, but I dont think the removal of text chat was intentional, probably just an oversight when they just blocked keyboard use.

How do you block keyboard output for controls but not for chat though, output is output no?

I doubt they did it on purpose, but it could be a possibility that they couldn't remove one without removing both.

@nabberwar said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

What is the expression? You can't have your cake and eat it.

I'll admit it would be ironic for the people who complained about not wanting to buy external hardware to be"able to compete", to be forced to do so to be able to communicate instead.

• @bloodybil technically you don't have to buy hardware to communicate, theres a setting in the game that will let you use the xbox keyboard, its just not very good. I just had an old keyboard that I use to text chat in xbox games anyhow. Also M/KB is poorly optimized on xbox, so buying a good M/KB isn't gonna help much on xbox.

If it can't be done then so be it, i'm not a dev so idk if its possible to have the game allow typing on a keyboard without letting you play on one. Probably not possible, i just wanted to share my feedback is all.

• @mr-dragon-raaar said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@iduskk
    It was completely intentional.
    Controller only means exactly that.

When people asked for "controllers only" it was pretty obvious they were talking about gameplay. Not text chatting. If you want to get super literal with it, chatpads on xbox controllers no longer work either.

• @mr-dragon-raaar nobody said m/kb was evil, its just not an even matchup against controllers generally speaking, and some people prefer to play vs other controller users.

And again, if you wanna get super literal and say M/KB is evil, then theres still the issue of chatpads not working, which are a controller accessory, not a m/kb. So the problem still exists.

Why are you so salty over this? I just played like 8 hours on cross play and there was still plenty of people around to fight. Let people play how they wanna play man

• @iduskk sagte in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@mr-dragon-raaar nobody said m/kb was evil, its just not an even matchup against controllers generally speaking, and some people prefer to play vs other controller users.

That's not true, read the Megathread.
    People play with controler on PC arent welcome, because they dont pay for online playing to Microsoft/Xbox and some other reasons.

• @iduskk said in Keyboard text chat no longer works if you opt out of crossplay:

@bloodybil technically you don't have to buy hardware to communicate, theres a setting in the game that will let you use the xbox keyboard, its just not very good. I just had an old keyboard that I use to text chat in xbox games anyhow. Also M/KB is poorly optimized on xbox, so buying a good M/KB isn't gonna help much on xbox.

If it can't be done then so be it, i'm not a dev so idk if its possible to have the game allow typing on a keyboard without letting you play on one. Probably not possible, i just wanted to share my feedback is all.

No I get it, we can't know for sure if it's intended or not until the devs mentions or acknowledges it. As for hardware, I do not know which accessories are included with the xbox, all the better if a headset or chat pad is included so no more purchases are required.

• @iduskk
    I will repeat something that was repeatedly stated to me during cross play opt-out. People play Xbox because they want an equal playing field, regardless of how actually delusional that is, this begs the question for your request. Why should you get a better tool to optimize text communication that your fellow Xbox players may not have? Can't have you getting advantages over your fellow brethren.

• I own a chat pad and accepted that I can't use it in opt out servers, this is to stop players using hot keys etc,, it wouldn't be as fair as using a controller only like everyone else has. And to be fair, it makes your hand ache after hours of continuous play with the added weight. Win win!

• @iDuskk The chat pad can be used to use amm kb bindings. This is why you can not use it on the opt out servers.

• So it’s not an opt out of XBOX Vs PC it’s an Opt out of Mouse and Keyboard Vs Controller?

.....confused

Views
19 out of 21