Add Pronoun Preferences To Your Pirates Display Name

• I feel it is about time that Sea of Thieves implements pronoun preferences to be added to your pirate upon creation. I am sick of getting called the wrong pronoun, and I understand people can't really know for sure, but if you implemented a way to include the pronouns in the name, there would be way less toxicity. So for me, my display name would display as:

(Zim/Zir) BestBuldgeNA

Adding this feature will increase the overall positivity and decrease the toxicity in the game!
    Thanks for listening!!!

Views
  • the overall positivity and decrease the toxicity in the game!

no it won't

it opens more opportunity for negative experiences when it's not currently an issue. By not being an issue I don't mean some individuals aren't inconvenienced by it or even upset by it but it's not something as a whole the community is focused on which in itself makes it a healthier environment as the focus is on piracy and not personal things.

Nobody is really being targeted right now because it's random interactions and nobody is focused on targeting people over pronouns in any significant way.

You're a pirate and that's what you're known as. As it should be

@lackbarwastaken said in Add Pronoun Preferences To Your Pirates Display Name:

@bestbuldgena no one is going to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole lol.

I'll do it

• @bestbuldgena no one is going to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole lol.

• @schwammlgott yes. It’s like the Him/His, Her/Hers sort of deal.

Not sure why it matters in a pirate game though.

• @wolfmanbush Other games like Forza 5 have implemented this, it's 2021, it shouldn't really be a discussion anymore you know

• @ninja-naranja So when open crewing, your crew mates know how to address you

• @bestbuldgena said in Add Pronoun Preferences To Your Pirates Display Name:

@wolfmanbush Other games like Forza 5 have implemented this, it's 2021, it shouldn't really be a discussion anymore you know

Virtue signaling will always be a discussion and something that not everyone supports. This isn't because I oppose you as a person or your identity I in fact do not. Safer and healthier environments are those that take the focus off of each other personally and focus on what we are sharing together. In this game it is piracy. I am a pirate and you are a pirate. We are pirates. We are united in piracy

• @bestbuldgena you could just tell them? I play with friends who use a female character but are male so it really wouldn’t make sense. It would also make some encounters way more toxic IMO.

• @ninja-naranja I just get made fun of when I start off a conversation explaining my pronouns

@wolfmanbush Other games like Forza 5 have implemented this, it's 2021, it shouldn't really be a discussion anymore you know

Checks calendar....wait a minute it is the current year!

• @bestbuldgena sagte in Add Pronoun Preferences To Your Pirates Display Name:

@ninja-naranja So when open crewing, your crew mates know how to address you

Doesn't a "hey you" not survice?

• I don’t know, sounds like it would clutter my screen with something I’d just ignore. I’m sure this is important to someone, but it sounds more inconvenient for everyone but its users.

@ninja-naranja I just get made fun of when I start off a conversation explaining my pronouns

You can have them call you by your name without issue.

People call me wolf all the time. "he" doesn't often come up as in a situation where there are multiple people calling me by name makes more sense than the pronoun to prevent confusion

Anyone that is going to make fun of you for trying to explain that is going to make fun of you no matter what. You should avoid those people and try again with another crew.

If anything it helps you determine compatibility quicker.

• @bestbuldgena you’ll get made fun of even more if your pronouns are shown. And honestly bro, it’s a pirate game, and not everyone cares about your pronouns. I’m not saying I don’t personally but I know a lot of people play games like this to get away from real world issues.

• @ninja-naranja "bro", see what I mean?

@ninja-naranja I just get made fun of when I start off a conversation explaining my pronouns

I'm not trying to be cruel but i think you would get made fun of if zim/zir appeared before your name more. Most of humanity is blissfully unaware of what that means and adding it wouldnt just make them understand but the enemy/allied crews that recognized it and were toxic would use that as an opportunity.

• @bestbuldgena I call everyone bro. Whatever their pronoun is. If you get offended by a general term like that, then idk what to tell you.

• Why would gender be relevant in the context of this game?

• @cooliocam When talking to crews in open crew

• @cooliocam because people talk to eachother and zim doesnt like when they talk about zirself incorrectly and doesnt want to explain zirs pronouns.

I think i did it right maybe.

• @lackbarwastaken Exactly!

• @bestbuldgena hey so here is an idea... change your gamer tag to add the pronoun... problem solved and guess what in that case it is also added to every xbox live game you will ever play...

• @callmebackdraft character limit of 12 really doesnt allow for much also special characters might be limited

• @lackbarwastaken yes and no, it also depends on what the person in question deems more important.

honestly i couldnt care less if this got added or not and personally i also think i wouldn't really change much when pirates address eachother because 99/100 times unknown pirates get addressed by their appearance.

female pirate: hey mam/lady
    male pirate: hey man/dude
    crab outfit: crablord
    fat: big boy/gal

etc etc etc

I think in general the whole LGBTQ+ movement is a good thing, every human shoud have the same basic rights HOWEVER i do think that some people take it too far and want their views and beliefs to be broadcast everywhere they set foot and thats where i draw a line and without passing judgement to anyone here i do think this could be just such a case.

what does it matter how anyone calls you in a game as long as it isn't derogatory in nature ? and with the nature of (young) gamers i would just feel that stuff like this basically makes it easier for people like that to use derogatory language or hurtfull stuff towards people that dont have the "stereotypical" pronouns.

• I’m getting a feeling this might be a troll post after reading through this however this suggestion is good but just isn’t necessarily needed in the game since mostly everyone call each other their gamertag, nicknames or using universal pronouns

• If people don't have anything respectful or constructive to add to the discussion/feature request, please take a look at our other threads and get involved there, not here!

• Just say what's up pirates and be done with it.

@deckhands please drop anchor.

1hr 16m on Xbox. 1 day old account.
    My chat is open.

• @pithyrumble @butterfinger750 how dare you cast aspersions on zirs motivations, zim gathered zirs courage in order to share zirs views. Zim zirself has clearly and plainly explained why it is important to zir. I don't think it can be explained any clearer than that.

They should address you by name.

So don't explain it. Just play it.

• @schwammlgott said in Add Pronoun Preferences To Your Pirates Display Name:

@bestbuldgena sagte in Add Pronoun Preferences To Your Pirates Display Name:

Doesn't a "hey you" not survice?

Hey. Hey. Hey, listen!

Views
11 out of 61