Sea of trolls (buried treasure)

• With the new burying treasure mechanic, I predict a lot of trolls burying terrible loot and kegs next to them to troll players. This then means no one does the missions becuase they don't want to be trolled, and people burying actual valuable loot won't get anyone digging it up.

The reason this is even possible is because we have no idea what the buried loot is. If the devs want to fix this issue, then they might want to look into some sort of hint as to what we might find (suggestions welcome), so we can easily spot a troll map.

Views
  • The first few treasures you dig up will make it an obvious troll or not. If it is, keep the map and if someone sinks you they're gonna have a bad time digging up those treasures ;)

• I wish we could bury ourselves

and then we could punch our arm out of the ground like a horror movie

• @mr-whaletoes But if it becomes common (and why wouldn't it, it's a multiplayer game afterall) people will just choose to not even try. That's where the real problem lies. If no one is doing them, the genuine ones don't get completed.

• @mrat13 said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

@mr-whaletoes But if it becomes common (and why wouldn't it, it's a multiplayer game afterall) people will just choose to not even try. That's where the real problem lies. If no one is doing them, the genuine ones don't get completed.

Just treat it like everything else. If you want to participate at the content's most active stage then get in early

if you wanna take out the intensity of the content wait until it's no longer the shiny new thing

it should stay active enough to complete for some time but what you consider trolling isn't gonna be around in any significant amount for very long. People move on pretty quickly

• @wolfmanbush said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

Just treat it like everything else. If you want to participate at the content's most active stage then get in early

if you wanna take out the intensity of the content wait until it's no longer the shiny new thing

it should stay active enough to complete for some time but what you consider trolling isn't gonna be around in any significant amount for very long. People move on pretty quickly

I probably can get some done before all the trolls get involved, but once they start, I doubt they'll stop. I've played enough multiplayer games to know how dedicated trolls are to their 'craft'.

• @mrat13 said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

@wolfmanbush said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

I probably can get some done before all the trolls get involved, but once they start, I doubt they'll stop. I've played enough multiplayer games to know how dedicated trolls are to their 'craft'.

Some

Most are going to be busy making highlight reels with cannon rowboats

• By the end of the season this whole thing will be forgotten and never used again unless player is bored.

Also. Do the kegs explode when you dig them up? I’ve done few maps and found kegs but never explode. :(

• @burnbacon

I'm pretty sure they can, but I think you have to bury it a certain way. I tried lighting one and burying it, and it DID start burying, but I only got two shovels in before it blew.

Still haven't looked it up, so I don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it or not, though.

• @mrat13

I would like to point out that thought of burying a keg as a trap had not yet crossed my mind.

Good job OP 👏

Hombre, just bury it. It automatically sets the trap once it's buried. Also... don't try to dig it up yourself. 🧯⚰

I for one am enjoying the shenanigans 🤪

• @mrat13 I kinda agree. Think their needs to be incentives to bury good loot (captains skulls villainous stronghold loot..athenas chests) as it stands now their is no reason to bury loot worth anything.

But the way the game has always worked imo. Is its implemented and changed. Imo this is a scale test of burying loot. I'm sure down the line incentive will be there

• @ajm123

I've buried everything I've found tonight lol

• I'm currently burying storage crates with my supplies after a session and all barnacled chests on small islands near outposts

I think that'll be something I stick with even when I'm done with the commendations

• On the subject of traps.
    You can bury animals 😬 wtp?
    Anyone dig up an angry danger noodle yet? 😅

• @mrat13 Insane prediction bro
    im struggling to find player maps let alone get trolled by one

• this person filled lagoon of whispers with ashen stuff, gems, and ancient bone dust, and cry chest

at first I thought they just buried an ashen winds event from mermaids/wanderers or a chunk of it but they came all the way over from the roar it seems

gotta have faith in people. lotta good eggs too
    even though they did set me a little trap in there too but gotta have a little fun

• @vca-hombre you just bury it. They automatically ignite as they are dug up (you can't bury kegs without creating a trap, essentially).

• @pithyrumble I dug up several cages no animals were found lol

• @johnnykappow
    Hang on, when you do the dust shovel dig on a buried keg does it instantly blow it or start the keg fuse timer?

• @wolfmanbush I dug up 5 maps on one small island next to an outpost yesterday, set by two different players. Loads of barnacled chests so if that was you, thanks! I'm still working on that commendation. Plus what looked like the loot from 4+ skelly ships - gems, captain's skulls, captain's chests and some merchant crates. Took me forever to dig it all up though.

• The "points" system for commendations should have been based on gold value of items buried, not quantity of items buried. We found one map last night that was 7 completely worthless items, obviously buried for commendation purposes. I'm pretty sure many of these "troll" maps that people are finding are not intentional trolls, but rather people trying to get the comms done.

• @pithyrumble said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

On the subject of traps.
    You can bury animals 😬 wtp?
    Anyone dig up an angry danger noodle yet? 😅

Imagine you just got blown up by a stronghold chest only to get poisoned by the actual loot. I'm starting to think maybe I'll just become the troll myself, lol.

• hombre said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

@burnbacon

I'm pretty sure they can, but I think you have to bury it a certain way. I tried lighting one and burying it, and it DID start burying, but I only got two shovels in before it blew.

Still haven't looked it up, so I don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it or not, though.

You don’t need to light the fuse, just bury it. When someone digs it up the dust automatically becomes lit.

• @sammyr0cks said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

The "points" system for commendations should have been based on gold value of items buried, not quantity of items buried. We found one map last night that was 7 completely worthless items, obviously buried for commendation purposes. I'm pretty sure many of these "troll" maps that people are finding are not intentional trolls, but rather people trying to get the comms done.

To be honest, that's what I expected when I found out there were commendations attached to these. It's going to generate a lot of junk maps, which leads to less people wanting to do them unless they are also grinding out the commendations.

I can't see myself bothering with burying or going after treasure buried by other players after I get the commendations done, because the results are so inconsistent.

• @d3adst1ck If your goal is to make as much gold as possible, going for these maps is indeed a bad idea.

Imo, its only value is to give you some chill mini voyages or complement the voyages you already have.
    "I see we have skellies to kill on Smuggler's bay, let's have a quick look at the Questboard just in case".

I can see that feature being used somewhat more frequently than the trade route one. But that isn't saying much.

• @grog-minto said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

To be honest, that's what I expected when I found out there were commendations attached to these. It's going to generate a lot of junk maps, which leads to less people wanting to do them unless they are also grinding out the commendations.

I can't see myself bothering with burying or going after treasure buried by other players after I get the commendations done, because the results are so inconsistent.

As someone that deals very heavily in pve rng I would suggest a lot of those on the pve/adventure side stick with these, just stick with the maps that make sense. Small maps nearby

There are very few truly unpredictable options in this game and this has created massive randomness that can often be used in a way that is going to be more efficient than a lot of things on the seas for a lot of people.

Anyone that is solo and/or embraces the pve side and doesn't want to be a part of the higher danger and more intense pve should keep this as a part of their session.

These maps are essentially amplified megs. Megs had the most unpredictability with drops but these maps are more common. They will be good for emissary grade increase and giving stop points for a session which generally lead to other loot and good fortune.

Not every map will make sense but this system in general has a lot of potential for a lot of the population.

A few other points:

People will often bury these close together for their ease and for the ease of others.

People are often going to bury supplies which are always useful.

These will be good for the random commendations even if the gold value isn't high there is going to be commendation potential

Take maps where events spawn like ashen winds. Mermaids hideaway, cannon cove, wanderers, etc. People may bury valuable event loot they don't want or need at some of these specific locations. This will be good for people that don't want to do events or aren't at the skill level yet.

• @grog-minto Well actually I think the point is XP for the person burying the loot, which then means they need to give an incentive to get the loot, which ties into the OP of people not thinking it's worth the hassle if they always get trolled. If no one is uncovering them, why would anyone bury anything?

• @mrat13 Because even if noone digs them up, they would still get reputation and renown once the server shuts down.

• @mrat13

Because it's fun.
    I turned in nothing last night during a 3 hour session. Everything went in the dirt 😆

• Pro tip

don't space out while trying to top tier the least fun emissary and re-bury a mega athena keg for the commendation and forget that it's coming back up lit

• @wolfmanbush

alt text

• @hombre said in Sea of trolls (buried treasure):

@wolfmanbush

alt text

it was this

it's always this

• Buried a Athena and some other loot on shark bait cove today if anyone finds it

• First thing I did when the patch went live was do an Athena voyage and bury the Chest of Legends.

The next day I did a Thieves Haven run and buried all Athena loot (apart from the keg, I accidentally ser that off) on Cutlass Cay. That was a 10 X map, with 12 legend loot items on it (one was a chest with 3 inside).

Maybe it's the novelty, maybe it's 'cos I only care about Athena rep, maybe I like the idea of someone digging up some rare loot and seeing my name on the popup. Whatever reason, I don't think I'll stop any time soon.

• What I'm honestly waiting for is to get a map like yours...

And there's like 12 reapers camping it lol

Views
1 out of 67