Track the Storm with a real-time Weather Forecast!

• Ahoy there, pirates! I just wanted to share that we recently added the highly requested storm to the Rare Thief interactive map: https://maps.seaofthieves.rarethief.com/?path=storm-tracker

You can now solve riddles, complete Tall Tales, work on your Trade Routes, and much more, all while getting a weather forecast of where the storm will be in-game for the next two hours. If the storm is of no concern to you, you can always toggle it off and continue your adventures! But it could help you track down those last Blackcloud Wreckers you need or avoid disaster with the Gunpowder Barrels you are transporting. Cheers!

Views
  • I noticed that the performance penalty for using the storm tracker is much much less on Rare Thief. Even if you enable the animations on the map, it still only uses about 30% of the cpu. When I turn that off, I can still see the storm tracker and it drops to 9%.

Thank you so much for this.

Bookmarked immediately!

Edit: More specifically Firefox is under 1% cpu utilization on this page, until you enable the "show storm on map" then it goes up to 34-35% utilization, that is the Firefox process specifically. This is fantastic because it enables me to quickly jump on and check it with no hit to the game unlike a certain other site.

• Holy cow, how do you get this to run so good?!

• @personalc0ffee Cheers! Yeah, it was a big focus for us when we built the tracker to choose the right tools for efficiency and ensure it wasn't too resource-intensive. Luckily, there was already a plugin for the type of map we use that handles a moving path pretty well!

• @ionei-falcon said in Track the Storm with a real-time Weather Forecast!:

@personalc0ffee Cheers! Yeah, it was a big focus for us when we built the tracker to choose the right tools for efficiency and ensure it wasn't too resource-intensive. Luckily, there was already a plugin for the type of map we use that handles a moving path pretty well!

Well it works, definitely going to be recommending this over ML.

• You think this will make it into the app? Not sure how complicated it is to program into an app, but I use the companion app constantly!

• @abjectarity Yeah, we are working on adding it to the app now! It's just always easier to start with the web version :)

• @ionei-falcon of course! I didn’t know if it was too complex for the app to bother, but I’m glad to hear it is in the plans!

• @abjectarity We hope not, haha! We'll definitely have the panel. As we kind of talked about above, animating the path needs to be just right so it doesn't degrade the rest of the app. So we'll be focusing on that after we get the panel working.

Views
1 out of 9