Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍

• Recently Captain Falcore published this video that revived the desire to see a Next Gen Update with the latest version of Unreal Engine.
    We hope to have this update by the end of the year or at most, next year. 🙏🏻

texto alternativo

🔗 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KGAL4v73fs

Views
  • This would be really cool to see, but porting to the next iteration of Unreal Engine isn't an easy task for a game as huge as Sea of Thieves. There is a lot of newer features of Unreal 5 that make it easier, but there is legwork that would need to be done, and that would take away regular content updates, and make them less frequent until it's done.

I guess my point is, I would love to see it, but only if they had something like a special team working on it that wouldn't take away from the main game.

EDIT: Falcore does make good points, however, that it would help with game performance (if done right)

• ...You hope to see an update the devs never said they'd do?

That's...kind of entitled, don't you think?
    There's a difference between 'I would like a next-gen update' or 'What do you think of an engine upgrade?' and 'I hope to see this in 3 months to a year'.
    The first two are suggestions. The third is a statement: 'You are doing this. Here's your time frame to make me happy.'

While an upgrade would be nice; The devs have not, to my knowledge, said this was happening.
    Plus, it's not easy or cheap to move to an upgraded engine. Easier than switching engines completely, but still not easy itself.

• The only major issue is one that Falcore actually mentions: Sea of Thieves does not run on vanilla Unreal Engine 4, it uses a bespoke build. So any additional resources Rare uses for the game would need to also be compatible with Unreal Engine 5, or alternatives found.

Not saying it won't happen, but I think Sea of Thieves 2 is more likely to happen than an update, and it would make the most sense from a development and business standpoint.

• @thelostsentinel dijo en Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

This would be really cool to see, but porting to the next iteration of Unreal Engine isn't an easy task for a game as huge as Sea of Thieves. There is a lot of newer features of Unreal 5 that make it easier, but there is legwork that would need to be done, and that would take away regular content updates, and make them less frequent until it's done.

I guess my point is, I would love to see it, but only if they had something like a special team working on it that wouldn't take away from the main game.

It is true, but precisely in the video the new dedicated team at RARE is mentioned.

• @realstyli dijo en Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

The only major issue is one that Falcore actually mentions: Sea of Thieves does not run on vanilla Unreal Engine 4, it uses a bespoke build. So any additional resources Rare uses for the game would need to also be compatible with Unreal Engine 5, or alternatives found.

Not saying it won't happen, but I think Sea of Thieves 2 is more likely to happen than an update, and it would make the most sense from a development and business standpoint.

It is definitely not something simple to do, likewise, I'm not sure that a "Sea Of Thieves 2" is the smartest decision.

• Sometimes it's just better to ride out what worked and maintain the legacy for some longevity than it is to try rework it or create a new one.

Overall the devs have expanded on an awesome experience but what really allowed SoT to go on for so long with so much organic interest is the effects of the pandemic.

Something you'll find in this game a lot is a player that "started playing during covid"

People were stuck at home, in tough situations, and really wanted comfort and to be around people. That's where SoT stepped in and stepped up. It was an adventure with others during a time where a lot of people needed it. Right place/right time.

Would be real tough to realistically create or capture that again. There was a time in this game where people really did sail together.

I dunno what they will do, I think they will just ride this out until it no longer is good business. That's alright imo. SoT still has remnants of that right place/right time. It'll carry it for some more time. It makes this experience special to quite a few people that still play what exists now.

Spending a lot more money is a lot more risk, in a space where a lot of games and dev teams are struggling to keep things going.

• @quietrobot Agreed. I do not want a Sea of Thieves 2, but I would not mind a rebranding or something if they upgrade. They should honestly just do it and keep a safer seas available to old gen.

• If they ported the game to Unreal 5 and added new features (seasonal changes to the world map 🙏—give us rotating Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) I would totally buy this game again.

• @prescafatty said in Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

If they ported the game to Unreal 5 and added new features (seasonal changes to the world map 🙏—give us rotating Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) I would totally buy this game again.

I mean, it's the Caribbean; How much do the seasons change there?

• Oh... my...
    I can just imagine the hitreg!

• @quietrobot said in Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

@thelostsentinel dijo en Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

This would be really cool to see, but porting to the next iteration of Unreal Engine isn't an easy task for a game as huge as Sea of Thieves. There is a lot of newer features of Unreal 5 that make it easier, but there is legwork that would need to be done, and that would take away regular content updates, and make them less frequent until it's done.

It is true, but precisely in the video the new dedicated team at RARE is mentioned.

While true that he did mention the team, I believe during the SoT news segments they mentioned they have a new dedicated team to fixing bugs/issues with the game. Do I know that that is the same team? Well no, not necessarily. But it could be!

• Watches the Xbox one players cry into the void.

• @guildar9194 more storms is the only seasonal change in the Caribbean, I bet that would go down well lol

• Wishful thinking.

I'm wishful as well

Falcore mentions 2026, which I think could be realistic if the wish comes through. But, that includes LATE 2026...meaning 2+ years away.

• @guildar9194 said in Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

@prescafatty said in Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

If they ported the game to Unreal 5 and added new features (seasonal changes to the world map 🙏—give us rotating Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) I would totally buy this game again.

I mean, it's the Caribbean; How much do the seasons change there?

The Sea of Thieves is not exactly confirmed to be in the Caribbean, just that the way to enter it is. Mike Chapman said we would eventually find out the truth, and my bet is that it exists outside of time and space, like Narnia or Neverland.

• From my, admittedly very limited, knowledge of game creation, with the current issues with stability in the game it really does feel like SoT is a creaking ship's hull, close to sinking with every new update...

I for one would love to see the devs continue to expand/service the game as I don't think I will ever quite be ready to hang up my cutlass and updating to the new engine feels like it might be the platinum option for the longevity of the game so I am also hoping that Rare makes that leap and continues to grow this awesome game even with the difficulties and cost looming up ahead.

• @bekkbloodaxe96 dijo en Sea of Thieves Next-Gen Upgrade 😍:

From my, admittedly very limited, knowledge of game creation, with the current issues with stability in the game it really does feel like SoT is a creaking ship's hull, close to sinking with every new update...

I for one would love to see the devs continue to expand/service the game as I don't think I will ever quite be ready to hang up my cutlass and updating to the new engine feels like it might be the platinum option for the longevity of the game so I am also hoping that Rare makes that leap and continues to grow this awesome game even with the difficulties and cost looming up ahead.

The number of players and the recent launch on PS5 indicate long-term plans.
    Today it is Xbox's flagship game, an engine update would be ideal for two reasons 1. need to expand the game 2. visual renewal looking at the imminent launch of the new Xbox console.

• @quietrobot

Yep, I know what a new engine upgrade would mean for the game and I am all for it!

• @quietrobot we can all dream! I know it’s a pie in the sky wish, but fun to think about. I think we all would love nothing greater than more life, in a more diverse server.

Namely more players and boats, safe havens and abilities to interact, and tons of wildlife.. sea turtles, whales, new sea monster threats, etc.

It is far too often that my crew and I sail around a server without seeing a soul for hours. That’s a shame, whether you like PvP, friendly alliances, or just connecting with the community in fun and exciting ways.

Rather than adding cosmetics (there are soo many that seem so similar), I hope they can CONTINUE to focus on adding new ways to interact with players and the environment (as much as the server will allow for it). If the server is maxed out, back to hoping for a Microsoft investment in an upgrade.

Dream on friends! Keep at it Rare!
    Looking forward to season 14.

• @quietrobot it's unusual for a game to get an engine change. This would be SoT's second. I'm doubtful for that reason

Views
20 out of 21