Launch Map Size Only Beta Map Size?

• So is it confirmed that the map on launch will only be the beta map, or are we going to have more to explore in the full game? To be fair it is the only negative thing out of anything I've seen, but it is a MAJOR negative if it's true.

Views
  • @frodj Where does it say that? Can you send me the link to the article.

• They will definitely expand it later, and I would not be surprised if they expanded it in that first major update.

This fits their plan (or at least how I perceive it) perfectly. The first three months, everyone will focus on becoming a legend. However, the game might become saturated with legends, so the first major update will expand on what we can do. They have stated that they feel becoming a legend is more of a start rather than an end, although most article titles will say otherwise. If this is true, then they will more than likely expand the map and expand on already existing features to give legends and non-legends(but mostly legends) much more to do.

• hmm this looks familiar checks reddit ah

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/7xf75f/launch_map_size_only_the_beta_map/?st=jdmj4y7b&sh=99c0586d

lol. I know that they are constantly moving around and balancing the islands. They are really big on balancing the amount of ship interactions. One of the articles had mentioned that they would have to be careful adding more area to the map since then they would have to rebalance map. I think the size is going to be the same as the beta, though i wouldnt be surprised if islands got added or altered.

• @firetadpole7469 Hey you were on the reddit too! its a small world

• @taydoge-swift I have lots of time to be active right now, so that's what I'm doing. I like clearing up concerns and debating(though I'm not always the best at that).

• @hydroyeti03 said in Launch Map Size Only Beta Map Size?:

@frodj Where does it say that? Can you send me the link to the article.

The one place I saw it mentioned was on the Crew of Thieves News Summary.

They don't give any attribution though so I have no idea where they pulled it from.

• @bifbologna said in Launch Map Size Only Beta Map Size?:

@hydroyeti03 said in Launch Map Size Only Beta Map Size?:

@frodj Where does it say that? Can you send me the link to the article.
    They don't give any attribution though so I have no idea where they pulled it from.

@M3M3nto-Memes you should cite your sources!

• Someone summarized the Reddit embargo lift megathread and they mentioned that in one of the articles Rare said they would be willing to expand the map in the future. I didn't double check them though so take that with a grain of salt.

• Last I heard, they said the Full-Release map will be larger at launch and will be expanded upon.

• @sargent-sully They've never said it will be larger.

• @ru5tynuts Those are the names of the different parts of the world.

alt text

This map shows them. The upper left, upper right, and bottom middle are the different seas.

• I remember in one of the developer update videos, one saying to another something like " So, this map here...(points to the map) This map gets considerably larger" then they both giggle while looking at one another.
    This was a pretty early developer update though.

• 1:10
    Who knows though, it may not. It kind of seems confirmed though by them saying it.
    But then to add, I'm not sure what the map they're looking at consists of.

• @Frodj @hydroyeti03 @Taydoge-Swift

Sorry for not putting my sources in the article, it was just too much information to list all of them.
    The exact info for the part about the map size at launch is from Windows Central :

"The world is dynamic and changing – new islands can appear in our sea, islands can be destroyed, and what's on the islands will change over time too. Biomes can change. Imagine a curse is released and part of the world changes in some way. We'll "bolt on new bits" to some degree – but we'll do it intently to not jeopardize the ship encounters, and we'll also do things to our existing world too. For launch though, this is our world size. We're changing some things around, adding new reefs, adjusting placements, but this is the metric we believe in for our ship encounter frequency at launch. We've got a lot more island designs waiting in the wings… and we've been considering when to build and add those in. "

• @the-lion-turtle when posting that map, you might wanna mention that it's from alpha and isn't accurate anymore (for example, there's 2 outposts in each of the 3 areas now)

• @ru5tynuts Your post has been removed because data mining is against Xbox ToS and is not allowed on the Forums. Thanks for understanding!

As a warning to everyone do not share data-mined information on the official Sea of Thieves Forums or Xbox Clubs, your post will be removed. Ignoring this warning will result in your account being banned from the Forums.

• @theamadox Eh it doesn't need to be accurate. I was posting it solely to show that the world is broken up into the 3 areas, thus 3 seas, that were talked about.

Even the names of the seas have changed since then but it was just to show it.

• Have there been any discussions about the writing on the map? To me it seems like it might be connected to the new Pirate Legends info we've got.

• @frodj Not sure if the world will grow but I also agree that it 100% NEEDS to be expanded if the game is to stay fresh for years!

• @dellaint
    The writing on the map was used in a community event that ran in conjunction with the Gamescom exhibition last year!

• @logansdadtoo Ah, ok. Thanks for the heads up, I was going to spend way too much time looking into it otherwise.

• @the-lion-turtle said in Launch Map Size Only Beta Map Size?:

@ru5tynuts Those are the names of the different parts of the world.

alt text

This map shows them. The upper left, upper right, and bottom middle are the different seas.

I might be mistaken but that map is already missing some outposts. I am only seeing 4 and I am pretty sure there were 5 or 6(2/area).

• @mattydove74 Yup the map is old. Fit for my purpose though. Was the first one I found when I googled.

• Just keep in mind in the beta the islands weren’t finished, so stepping on them at launch could be a whole difference experience. We know they will be filled with life for the tradIng company quests, we now know from the press release that there are NPCs throughout the world that can send you on voyages. A lot of those areas that seemed empty or incomplete may be completely different when the launch comes around

• @ionei-falcon no worries.

• @the-lion-turtle this map is an amazing find.
    With the lettering going A-Z I can’t imagine the map will get wider.
    The world was big enough

• If it is only the size of the beta. I'll be disappointed. I was hoping for a bigger map after 4 years or so of development

Views
12 out of 30