Voice Chat

• Can you turn off the voice chat? I don’t have a mic or headphones and don’t want to hear random people talking
    Also, is there some kind of specific way to play with your Xbox friends?

Views
  • Yes you can mute voice and text of other people iirc.

• You can turn it off, both you and others, but I highly suggest listening to your crew, part of SoT is teamwork on the ship. Unless you mean enemies, in which case that's fair.

• @capn-tonis cool thanks. Is there like a kind of safe chat thing for lack of a better word. Ya know how some things have pre-selected things you can say like “hi” or “what’s up” I thought I saw something like that

• @cutie-big-wars theres a chat wheel thing, but 90% of the fun in this game comes from chat, it's really not a great game to play without a microphone. if you turn off what others are saying, they're likely to put you in the brig for not working with them.

I probably will brig anyone without a microphone once game goes live

• @kruqnut ok thanks!

• @cutie-big-wars

@cutie-big-wars said in Voice Chat:

Can you turn off the voice chat? I don’t have a mic or headphones and don’t want to hear random people talking
    Also, is there some kind of specific way to play with your Xbox friends?

You can turn off chat altogether, or mute enemy teams specifically. There are options to enable/disable directional (facing who you speak to) and non-directional (can speak without facing) chat as well.

There are many non-verbal chat options via a 'chat wheel' that will change depending on what you're physically interacting with. This helps people communicate who don't want to talk, or simply have a reason that they can't.

As far as Xbox friends, it's as simple as starting a game lobby and iniviting them, or just have them join off of your gamertag.

Hope this helps!

• No offense to the OP but i knew from the closed beta that this is going to be a HUGE problem. I honestly have no idea how anyone in the 21st century doesnt have voice coms unless they are hearing disabled. Then on top of that i dont get how players who obviously choose to not communicate with anyone decide to play a online game where coms are a must unless you plan on playing solo 100% of the time and never have any doings with anyone.
    I always get stuck on teams with these people who ar just off in there own word.
    Please dont take this as a slam on people who dont talk but why is there no server for these people so guys like me who are trying to play are not handicaped by players who wont talk.

• I tried using the text wheel chat thing when my mic had gone kaput and it was a completely different experience, the game is so much more fun talking to cooperate.

This is actually the first game where I have enjoyed meeting and talking to new players and over the closed beta met some pretty cool folks.

Looking forward to doing the same this weekend!

• @misterdoomed To be fair, there were times when I didn't use my mic, but i remained active with NVC. I agree, though. There were so many people in the closed beta who didn't communicate at all and I ended up running the Galleon by myself, which is no easy task.

• @shadowstrider-7
    Thats more what im referring to. We all have days we dont feel like talking but it seems to be a growing issue now that more games are team based. Nothing ruins a persons gaming session than to wait in a que just to get stuck with a team that half the players cant hear or talk or even seem to care. They are essentially playing a team game solo and we are punished by constantly losing due to it.
    Should be a rule that talkers on one server and people who wont talk or listen on another lol.
    Tbe beta was beyond frustrating when trying pug galleys (and just sat next to my friend helping her play lol) and eventually we just started playing solo to avoid the frustration.
    Just food for thought.

• My favorite in the alpha when I didn't realize I could hear what they were saying, and when the two people were on my ship, I went on theres. I overheard one of the guys saying "Ohhhh noooooo (soft english accent), he's going for our ship! Ohhhh noooooo!". I laughed so hard, and he was my first kill to. Don't swim towards someone who is on a boat.

Views
1 out of 12