I have an insane idea.

• I think it might be worth while waiting to see what the game turns out to be like when it is released before drawing too much premature conclusions based on the Alpha, Beta and scale tests.

PVP VS PVE I feel is a redundant arguemnt for a Pirate themed open shared world sandbox game but one important aspect that has been discussed is the idea of implementing a system that makes us think twice before risking life and limb, ship and plunder. Whether the respawn situation is changed before offical launch will remain to be seen until launch but games of this type all have the tendency to evolve as time goes on not only to generate money but to keep the loyal fan base busy, satasied and coming back for more.

A lot of folks have made some good points drawing cmparisons to other games and how they have ended up dead in the water (pun intended) but therein lies one good reason as to why SOT and Rare will not go the same way, they have past mistakes and dev errors to take example from as to what to do and what not to do.

I think some folks just want to chill out and enjoy the scenery and do a spot of treasure hunting and thats cool but it defeats the purpose of being a pirate in a pirate game if you don't experience aggressive encounters from time to time and sometimes more often and sometimes less often.

Views
  • (The insane idea is to wait and see what its like when the full game is released instead of worrying too heavily about what might or might not happen.)

• @cmm-solo YES. I have the saying people keep jumping off the Galleon way to early. They should wait until launch to complain about the game. Right now it is in beta which means about 30% content. They hear what people have to say but in the end of the day its a pirate themed open shared world adventure game. PVP will play a part and may not be for everyone. That's ok there are plenty of other games they can switch to.

• @cmm-solo said in I have an insane idea.:

(The insane idea is to wait and see what its like when the full game is released instead of worrying too heavily about what might or might not happen.)

Patience is key ;)

• I agree, I'm betting there's tons of stuff that we haven't even heard about yet. It's a AAA game after all. Once it releases, after a month or two, THEN maybe there will be some valid complaints. But for now, patience is indeed key @JJblackhat :D

• Aye, not long to go now anyway.

• It's annoying to see how many people think they got the right way to "solve the PVP problem", or propose new awesome features, like if Rare didn't thought of it all during the last years of development and the alpha and beta besides. I'm hundred purcent conviced that it's pointless to do so before the release, and even after that it will probably be useless. They are experienced game designers, as well as experienced players. Tracking and analytics will be much more useful than any 'clever solution' imaginated by players that tryed an incomplete version of the game during few days over the 2 last months.

• I would personally love to see the games community evolve with the game and learn how to police ourselves like proper Pirates did. Have our own little pirate codes when we are on outposts or out in open waters and it would be cool if more people turned out to be willing to enforce those little pirate codes and assist others if they were being griefed and whatnot. At the same time, its also really cool that we can, should we choose to, betray and double cross each other. That's a very cool aspect.

• @thejolirouge not mention that the game has been in DEV for 3 years for sure if not more. They do listen to feed back but they shouldn't change there vision because of people wanting to feel entitled to have the game catered to them.

• What I mean to say is; Just because we see another ship or other players who are not part of our crew does not have to mean that we open fire and attack but the risk is always there that they might decide to so it keeps us all edgy and takes time to build trust when you run into others. 9/10 we're probably not going to see an awful lot of peaceful situations (ships passing each other in the night) but as time goes on and the community start developing ideas about how to behave in certain situations, we might in time see people flashing lanterns to say; we are no threat, or perhaps if your just doing a merchant run there may be a flag type you can fly to say; look I'm just a merchant. I guess the question is, will those other players take an interest in you and what you have, will they decide to adopt the 'dead men tell no tales' culture or will they let you sail on....A bigger question is, will you?

• @thejolirouge said in I have an insane idea.:

like if Rare didn't thought of it all during the last years of development

They aren't going to be able to think of every single thing, and I'm sure they love constructive feedback and suggestions :)

• I'm sure they do, but I'm also sure they get bored after seeing the same thing multiple times like any human-being. Think of it as friend telling you what to do with something over and over. You probably love you're friend, but sometimes: UH!

As a game making process lasts few years it's very optimistic to think this way. But we can't think of it better than they did during countless hours of countless meetings, tons of documents readed (thanks), of movies and series watched, of books readed (thanks again), of games played, and consultants consulted. Cuz a game is based on strong researches and thoses years are devoted to that only, meanwhile we only spend a small part of our time on it in comparison.

• @thejolirouge past tense of read is read(pronounced 'red'). English is weird. You are correct though, the devs know what they're doing.

• @xcalypt0x said in I have an insane idea.:

@thejolirouge said in I have an insane idea.:

like if Rare didn't thought of it all during the last years of development

They aren't going to be able to think of every single thing, and I'm sure they love constructive feedback and suggestions :)

Constructive feedback is good I think and I agree. A lot of people are whining about being shot at, sunk and stolen from though...in a Pirate game. lol.

I enjoy thinking up fun ideas and reading other peoples idea's too. Long may that continue!

• @canadianmuscle3 Not wanting to push our luck... but the beta might only be 15%-20% of the content. Rare might not have announced everything :)

• @seldros Oh, it even went down from the last "25%" rumor ! I'd be happy to count on that too, but it would be great to have sources in the end :)

Views
1 out of 16