Torn Map Fragments

• During the loading screen, there's an image of three pirates bringing together 3 torn map fragments. Is this something you're going to bring into the game? It would be great if on each server there was a hidden, special chest which could only be found if map fragments were bought together.
    This could create an interesting dynamic between players on the sea and would make pirates either more confrontational to steal any map pieces the other may have or more co-operative.
    Perhaps NPC's could give simple clues as to where map pieces could be found, rather than just having them stored in random barrels somewhere.
    There would have to be a server wide notification if the chest is found and then the whole thing would reset itself and a new chest would become available. Perhaps it could be a chest of legends, which would make the Athena grind slightly more bearable and non legends could work towards their Athena level in advance of becoming a legend.

Views
  • It would also make better use of the function where you can show another pirate the thing you're holding, Perhaps you could have a

1. Island picture (with no cross)
    2. Riddle to solve the location of the chest
    3. Key to open chest to obtain contents.
      That would solve the problem of people guessing the location with just one map fragment. (we're all pretty good at recognising an island even if we only have a section of the shoreline.)
      The item in the chest (akin to the chest of legends) would need to be sold to the mysterious stranger. This would make it interesting for the finding pirates especially if they're in an alliance... Would you trust another crew with such a valuable prise?
  • @guybrush3pwood2 said in Torn Map Fragments:

It would also make better use of the function where you can show another pirate the thing you're holding, Perhaps you could have a

1. Island picture (with no cross)
    2. Riddle to solve the location of the chest
    3. Key to open chest to obtain contents.
      That would solve the problem of people guessing the location with just one map fragment. (we're all pretty good at recognising an island even if we only have a section of the shoreline.)
      The item in the chest (akin to the chest of legends) would need to be sold to the mysterious stranger. This would make it interesting for the finding pirates especially if they're in an alliance... Would you trust another crew with such a valuable prise?

maybe, maybe not

During the loading screen, there's an image of three pirates bringing together 3 torn map fragments. Is this something you're going to bring into the game? It would be great if on each server there was a hidden, special chest which could only be found if map fragments were bought together.
    This could create an interesting dynamic between players on the sea and would make pirates either more confrontational to steal any map pieces the other may have or more co-operative.
    Perhaps NPC's could give simple clues as to where map pieces could be found, rather than just having them stored in random barrels somewhere.
    There would have to be a server wide notification if the chest is found and then the whole thing would reset itself and a new chest would become available. Perhaps it could be a chest of legends, which would make the Athena grind slightly more bearable and non legends could work towards their Athena level in advance of becoming a legend.

still love this idea mate

• @closinghare208 Thanks... Ever since I saw it on the loading screen I thought it would make a great addition to SOT.

@closinghare208 Thanks... Ever since I saw it on the loading screen I thought it would make a great addition to SOT.

your welcome

• I think this is a fun idea. You could borrow the tokens mechanic from Tall Tales as well. Have to bring three tokens to a vault to unlock a location perhaps.

• What about one Fragment per Region and you can ask in the Taverns of the Region about it and get some clues. But hard ones, only understandable if you know about the Map, the Lore and such.
    Collect all 3 and then find the chest.

• @bootmaclir Aye, bringing them back to a map merchant at the outpost who can repair it for you would be a totally awesome idea!

• @bugaboo-bill Each map piece could be stored in a specially marked chest, so if you find the chest, open and empty you know another crew already has the map piece in their possession and you'd either need to co-operate with them or fight them for it.
    I agree the clues would need to be hard and cryptic to solve. Such a hansom reward calls for a equally challenging journey.

• @guybrush3pwood2 I shan't take away from your idea - it is truly awesome and something that would fit most excellently with the game!

On the map from the loading screen though - I always thought it was a crew bringing together a map of the Sea of Thieves, which they then used to find the place.
    If you think back to when your Pirate first awoke in the Tavern he had that random map of the world in his hand, with that very first instruction on the back to start the small, but effective tutorial.

Anyways, still a fantastic idea!

• @Guybrush3pwood2

perfect, the new chests hold 3 pieces and are perfect for that.

quick idea:
    lets say you are tlking to Tanja in the Shores of Plenty and she told you about a rumor of an ancient map that was divided by 3 captains who then hided the pieces on islands.
    Alltime random and you can interview more NPC in the Region to get more hints.
    Ask them if they have heared about Captain XY?
    They randomly have infos about the captains or they have not and some will also tell you wrong facts to mislead you, but you can allways know who is talking yarn and knows nothing, because they make also mistakes like:" And i heared he sailed from Old Faithfull Isle to the west and hide their piece of Map at an Isle with an Arch."
    I do not need to check the Map to know that is yarn :D
    But some will tell the truth or what they think is the truth and for example say: He was a former Member of the Morningstar and hide his piece of Map on an Island in the East.
    I have an Idea what that Island can be, because i know the Tales ;)
    It need to be very much different and many hints and missinformations.

What could also be cool is to have the OoS Ladys be able to ask for Pieces that are already found and tell you the direction of the crew who has found it.
    It was found by a crew, they are sailing far from the Nortstar (= South) or they are heading to the old wise creature from here, or the to the teacher of... someone remembers?
    Let's make the Spyglas you earned from Tale 6 have the option to see the constellations again.

just a quick brainstorm...

It can even be a very random and highly replayable TT.

• @guybrush3pwood2 I also think that there should be a Davy jones like chest not like the chest of sowwers but it would cotan a hat but when said pirate puts on said hat he would turn into a Davy jones squid beard and coltes

• @bugaboo-bill oooh, I like the idea of incorporating the order of souls lady too. It really would give the game a great, replayable, roleplay style, quest type. The clues would have to change each time the chest respawned and I'm sure eventually they'd be some repetition, but I guess they could add more riddles as time goes on.
    Also I like the idea of using some of the tall tales lore in the riddles and some misdirection too. One of the map pieces could be held by the skeletons perhaps.
    I think the idea has legs and if taken up you could be quite inventive with it

@bugaboo-bill oooh, I like the idea of incorporating the order of souls lady too. It really would give the game a great, replayable, roleplay style, quest type. The clues would have to change each time the chest respawned and I'm sure eventually they'd be some repetition, but I guess they could add more riddles as time goes on.
    Also I like the idea of using some of the tall tales lore in the riddles and some misdirection too. One of the map pieces could be held by the skeletons perhaps.
    I think the idea has legs and if taken up you could be quite inventive with it

aye I agree

• I also think most of the game mechanics to make this possible already exist. Ah well, I can live in hope. Would be cool to see it/something similar appear in game.

Views
14 out of 16