5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic)

• @sir-rhavi a dit dans 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic) :

Why are people suggesting Junks, when they don't fit the theme?

What makes you think this game is focused on carribean only, could be indian ocean and red sea or even mediterranean sea ..?

Afaik title says "sea of thieves", not carribean pirates you disney addict.

• @meurtrisseur said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

@sir-rhavi a dit dans 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic) :

Why are people suggesting Junks, when they don't fit the theme?

What makes you think this game is focused on carribean only, could be indian ocean and red sea or even mediterranean sea ..?

Afaik title says "sea of thieves", not carribean pirates you disney addict.

Dunno, constant storms, white palm beaches.
    also, sloops and galleons were contemporaries, junks were not?

• I like all the ships. But another design could be called... “The Bullet,” It would have one deck, 4 masts, good turning, and 3 cannons. It’s fast and more maneuverable but less firepower and more vulnerable.

• WE NEED A CORVETTE! "The term corvette seems to have begun with the French Navy in the 1670s, to describe a small, maneuverable, lightly armed warship, smaller than a frigate and larger than sloops-of-war. Most sloops and corvettes of the late 17th century were around 40 to 60 feet in length. They carried four to eight small guns on a single deck. These early corvettes grew quickly in size over the decades, and by the 1780s they reached lengths of over 100 feet. "

These were the Speedsters of their time!

alt text

• @shoothere4exp said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

So this is really rough guys, but for the sake of conversation I did a very quick photoshop of the Galleon, adding another deck and sails to make it a Man O' War
    alt text

THis looks juts like a man - o - war or french war ships

• @shoothere4exp the junk ship looks a lot like a schooner and based off of the stats you stated that would be the best ship. Faster than a sloop and best turning speed of all the ships? Lol that’s a bit much man.

Speed and manueverability is the meta for naval combat.

• Smaller ships should have way more maneuverability and acceleration. Sloop in this game is more of a Sloop of War than a Bermuda Rigged so maybe a smaller more nimble ship for solo might be possible. A frigate would actually be a very fast ship although it would take a bit to get up to speed and that or a brig would be a good midrange ship. The Man O War should be fairly fast under full sail but steering and acceleration be poor especially when loaded with booty. Maybe have a ship sit lower in the water under load too so you can have an idea how much you stand to gain by taking on a large ship. A Man o' War is a ship you should flee from unless you have a few ships to swarm it.

Also Brigs with rams like Black Flag would be sweet.

• That one man boat is fire, I need it in my life.

• We are getting a new Ship in the CURSED SAILS Summer Content Drop!

Thank you all for supporting this thread, though I'm sure RARE may have had plans for more ships, I have no doubt that the popularity of this thread and others has driven them to make New Ships a priority. You're getting a new ship in aprt because you've supported this thread! Thank you all so much, seriously.

I can't wait to see what it is!
    @ToastyWrath @Eythir I understand the appeal for a Schooner or Corvette, but I think the problem with that is a few things;

1. Era... Sea of Thieves has a sort of "early" age of piracy vibe "Galleons" remember... Schooners and Corvettes really came into their own later on. Perhaps they will come eventually, but I can't see them as the first new ship.
    2. They have a lot of sails....The number of sails should be proportional to the crew size and workload of that crew. To me it makes sense for a 3 player ship to have 2 sails (fits nicely between sloop and Galleon). This of course would make it much more Brig like.
    3. Brigs are a more pirate-y ship. Schooners are sleek and clean... but Brigs have a lot more opportunity for creative forecastles, aft castles and hull types. They were also very common among pirates.
  • @shoothere4exp said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

We are getting a new Ship in the CURSED SAILS Summer Content Drop!

Thank you all for supporting this thread, though I'm sure RARE may have had plans for more ships, I have no doubt that the popularity of this thread and others has driven them to make New Ships a priority. You're getting a new ship in aprt because you've supported this thread! Thank you all so much, seriously.

I can't wait to see what it is!
    @ToastyWrath @Eythir I understand the appeal for a Schooner or Corvette, but I think the problem with that is a few things;

1. Era... Sea of Thieves has a sort of "early" age of piracy vibe "Galleons" remember... Schooners and Corvettes really came into their own later on. Perhaps they will come eventually, but I can't see them as the first new ship.
    2. They have a lot of sails....The number of sails should be proportional to the crew size and workload of that crew. To me it makes sense for a 3 player ship to have 2 sails (fits nicely between sloop and Galleon). This of course would make it much more Brig like.
    3. Brigs are a more pirate-y ship. Schooners are sleek and clean... but Brigs have a lot more opportunity for creative forecastles, aft castles and hull types. They were also very common among pirates.

Yes I know ^.^ I figured since the game wasn’t exactly historically accurate that it wouldn’t matter what era a ship was from. Also the sails would have been adjusted (just like the sloop who’s sails aren’t the way they are in real life) I knew about the problems listed. Also doesn’t help I’m apart of a schooner crew in rl so I’m a little biased. Also corvettes are a bit too fast I don’t think they have a place in this game...would be broken I think

• @ShootHere4EXP

I wonder if a Brig ship would be the choice. For one reason at the very least: Because the ships' little jail is already called the Brig, I can't see how they would confuse matters by adding a ship called Brig.

At the very least, I feel the name of the new ship is going to be different. :)

I do hope it is a 3 man.
    And personally I hope it is a JUNK.

• I love the idea of adding a junk ship, but id prefer it be like a new skin or hull rather than an entirely new ship. New ships in my mind would be slotted for crew sizes (1 man, 1-2 man, 2-3 man, 3-4 man, and a 4 man) with new designs on top of them, not just recolored hills and sails. That's how I would go about it, but I'm excited to see what the new ship is this summer

• @ShootHere4EXP
    I'm not sure if you saw the messages in your other thread. But your final count poll image doesn't open for some reason.

• I won't to see this happen

• Can I make a suggestion here?

If it took Rare 2 years to design 1 ship, WE HAVE SOME SERIOUS WORK TO DO.

If we want to see this happen, we as a community are going to need to:

• draw out multiple 3D layouts of each ship

• design different ship variations for each class

• list the advantages and disadvantages of each ship variation on a small (crew efficiency) and large (effect of balance in combat) scale.

If we do this, Rare would have to come up with a pretty good excuse as to why they wouldn't move forward with it.

• I like these ideas a lot, my only problem is, isn't a Galleon and a Man o' War the same thing?

• I love the idea of the gunboat and brig. The man o war is nice but the Galleon already is huge. Another possible midrange ship could be a cutter.

I also think larger ships should be able to drop a rowboat for ferrying loot and if that seems OP it's because they should fear shoals because of their draught. Have it so large ships can be beached and don't automatically reset. Make more hidden rocks and coral reefs so that you can avoid larger ships by sailing into the sun and confusing their lookouts so they crash on the rocks.

Large ships need to be a very strong threat but also have equal tradeoffs for maneuverability.

• This is so much needed. Being a 3 man crew sucks right now, you are on a 4 man ship with 3 people, and if even one is goofing off forget it.

• 99% sure it's going to be the Brig. Fits the theme, occupies a necessary midway point between the Galleon and the Sloop, since Galleons are difficult to handle with 3 and Sloops would be overpowered with anything more than 2.

Plus with private crews you could create a group of 3 on a galleon or group of 2 on a brig and invite friends to join easily. I hope locking a ship when your crew gets too big becomes a thing, though. So if you start as a duo sloop and invite a third you're automatically transferred to the Brig.

• @shoothere4exp If you want to base historically take a look here. The Junk wouldn't really fall into the category, however the Brigantine, Caravel or Carrack ships would easily fit that role.

alt text

• @shoothere4exp i want speed unarmed ship for solo

• @shoothere4exp If you watched their roundtable they hinted towards a bigger ship hopefully they choose your model

• @thonidor said in 5 Ship Types for Sea of Thieves (Speculation /Graphic):

@shoothere4exp If you want to base historically take a look here. The Junk wouldn't really fall into the category, however the Brigantine, Caravel or Carrack ships would easily fit that role.

alt text

The junk is basically a Chinese style ship. They came in many different sizes and they have been around longer than their European counterparts and still exist today.

Really the only difference is the style of sail.

China and Southeast Asia had epic pirates that made the Caribbean look tame.
    But you know.... Disney

Edit: There was one Disney movie where they even had a version of Madam Ching and her red flag fleet. Well I guess just one ship, her while fleet would have outnumbered the English.

Also, The Queen Anne's Revenge isn't it's own type of ship. It was a Frigate

• I support this.

+1

• With the release of Cursed sails and a new ship this post is very relevant again. I'm glad we got the Brigantine coming and I believe only 2 more ships are needed to round out the game.

I still say a 1 person catboat would be great. One cannon on a swivel mount. To make it not OP have it behind the mast so that firing straight ahead will damage your own ship. Approx 270 degree radius otherwise. one fixed cannonball crate that holds 50 cannons. Rudder with no wheel. one gaff rigged sail that angle and raise/lower from one control. Gaff rig should make tacking super fast even when compared to the sloop. Doesn't have to be faster than the sloop but should be a great deal faster to change direction. Hard to hit but two hits pretty much guarantees a sinking and no place to hide loot.

The Man o' War I still think should be unlocked to captain as a Pirate Legend. As in only PLs can attain it and you can't queue up for one randomly unless invited. (could recruit from the server) . It would give PL's something fun to work toward and as the ship is a defensive ship mainly for long journeys it wouldn't be a ship to hunt other players with. I really think this is the best way to have a ship larger than the galleon as it should be a rare site and not the norm.

The Chinese junk should be a model you can apply to say the Brigantine like any other customization. Hull type instead of color. Would give a whole other feel to the game having something new to look at. And maybe the option to skin the Galleon as a Caravel so it's also lateen rigged. everything else would be the same mechanics wise, just "new and interesting ways" to express yourself through your ship customization.

• Five might be a bit much but four might still be manageable. Now that the brigantine has been added and it's kind of like a bigger sloop, the man o war and the galleon could be the same way. By that i mean that the brig and the sloop could be the smaller and easily manageable ships while the galleon and the man o war would be big and extremely effective but require teamwork to be running at peak performance levels

• @finemeatballboi Resurrecting old threads...

Hey there, please note that resurrecting very old threads is not permitted. Please refrain from adding posts to threads older than 1 month old as this is considered necroing.

A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

• @shoothere4exp amazing idea

• @detachedlamb476 As the last post on this thread was 7 months ago and it was revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
385 out of 415