An Alternative To Map Extensions - Different World Maps

• Not sure how this will go down, but one problem I see with extending the map is you end up with dead areas. Easiest way to grind OOS & Athena is in the Devils Roar so you find a lot of Legends there grinding away, which removes players from other areas.

I think if they extended the map further to incorporate the "Frozen Fangs" idea or added an Asian themed area you'd dilute the players more unless you upped the number of crews on the map but I believe increasing player numbers puts a strain on the servers.

So to get around this problem, you have a choice of 3 world maps to spawn into. The Original One, The Asian Isles and The Frozen Fangs. Each map is separate and you cannot swap between maps mid session, you'd have to come out of the one you're in and start a new gaming session selecting the map you want to play in.

I know the lore says something like "Pirates found their way to The Sea of Thieves through the Devils Shroud and this place exists on the actual world map." So how about adding to the lore saying that the same thing happened in other real world locations?

I know this would be a huge update but I guess the pressure on the servers wouldn't be too great because you're still dealing with the same map size and variables just a whole new group of islands and a whole new look to each map.

Each different world map would come complete with it's own set of challenges, tall tales & updates. Would you be able to use the same pirate for each map type or would you start afresh with a brand new starter sailor?

Perhaps you could "unlock" a map type after reaching Legend and then another once you're Athena Lvl 10. Each area could be harder than the last.

I am thinking whether you'd end up with entire dead maps, but with the size of the player base would that actually happen? Also if you made areas unlockable, new players would have to start on the original world. It may also divide player abilities making the newbie's experience a little easier.

As the core game mechanics would be the same from one world to anther, would this be such a hard thing to develop? You've got the sea, you've got the physics, so surely this would just be designing new looking places and introducing a selection panel at the intro screen.

I for one would love a brand new world map to discover and explore. Again, no idea how easy this would be to implement or if the affects would be really detrimental, but it is a solution to the "Map Extension" problem and finding areas becoming devoid of pirate life

Views
  • As cool as this sounds, you know this is way to big of an update for Rare.
    I mean we still have bugs from start of year one 😪.
    Could be the base for Sea of Thieves 2 tho.....

• @guybrush3pwood2
    This is a cool idea, but I think map expansions could work if Rare fixes their servers so there can be more ships, and make the new areas just as easy as the rest of the map, or only slightly harder so people can spawn in their

• @guybrush3pwood2 I like the idea but I think you may be wrong about server strain. With next gen consoles on the horizon we will see many titles coming to console and many game devs utilizing the specs of next gen consoles. For one the main problem is loading times on xbox because on the slow hard drive especially if you have a year one xbox. Next gen comes standard with 1tb ssd which will drastically increase loading times as ssen when watching pc players(Pace33, Cobbobles, Unusual Rabbit etc). Also with the higher end Xbox the Anaconda there will be 16gb of ram which will allow for larger server count numbers to be possible on xbox. Right now there are 32 player servers I believe which is pretty impressive. If they up that to 50 players I believe we would be able to have different parts of the map extended. That is player based not ship based so hypothetically you could have 50 one man sloops which would mean the likelyhood for encounters would be higher. Also the mechanic that is in the game(alliances) would be more viable since people would be more likely to team against other players creating a type of guild war on the server which would be absolutely awesome. I think the map is fine right now though. We need more players and I believe different animals to hunt. Guild wars of such on adventure would be awesome and the game would be more rpg with more player encounters.

• @uranicpenny730 So would they have to end support for the Xbox 1 to allow for these updates? Essentially people playing it now wouldn't be able to experience these extended maps and associated content?

I could see that being a solution for Sea of Thieves 2 but I can't imagine them ending support for the Xbox 1 any times soon. Perhaps in 5 or so years out of their 10 year support commitment.

• @guybrush3pwood2 Well look at GTA 5. The last gen had the game as well as the next gen. People would play still but thats how games work. Gta 5 was better for the xbox one compared to the 360 but people could still play. You have to remember Microsoft owns Rare which means they would likely be trying to get players on the next gen console, but that is better for the players in the end. Btw 5 years? The xbox one has like 2 more years left at the most. Better get ready. A 10 year game does not need a sequel. It will just keep getting better as technology progresses.

• @uranicpenny730 Yeah, I see your point. I guess Minecraft has been carried across to countless platforms.

• We don't appear to be on Earth. There are another constellations in the sky and, which is more important, visible sizes of the Moon and the Sun differ. Just watch the eclipse )))

• @misha-boyarski said in An Alternative To Map Extensions - Different World Maps:

We don't appear to be on Earth. There are another constellations in the sky and, which is more important, visible sizes of the Moon and the Sun differ. Just watch the eclipse )))

This map that appears during the start tutorial sequence for your character references "Isla Mosquito", which is a real place in the British Vrgin Islands. We are definitely on Earth.

• The Asian isles... I think you mean the sea of five winds????

• @athena-fortune5 Yeah, that works too. Don't mind what it's called. Idea's still the same.

• I think expanding the existing map is fine. In theory, expanding the existing map should mean that the maximum crews per server should also increase due to the extra size.

• @gundy-the-shark said in An Alternative To Map Extensions - Different World Maps:

I think expanding the existing map is fine. In theory, expanding the existing map should mean that the maximum crews per server should also increase due to the extra size.

It should, but it's not gonna happen probably, the max ships on a server is on 6 because of tech reasons. No clue if they can improve their servers for that.

• Like it.

Especially, if the extensions or regions have very distinct look and feel from one another and the current world.

Ooh ooh and especially if those new locations weren't fully explored; and, required you and your crew to explore them...slowly filling in the blank parchment that you hold up while sailing towards the strange island, traversing its beaches, hills and caves.
    The parchment slowly fills in with these details....bring these back to the ship's map and it is now a permanent addition to the ship.

What would be even cooler....is if there were vast seas that must be sailed....this could also disguise the merging of the server....in order to reach these new locations and return to the original.

What would be boring, is if it was done with menus, loadscreens and staring at each.
    Also, If all islands were already fully explored, viewable from the ship's map and drawn in detail and required no exploration = RAGE QUIT!!

• @guybrush3pwood2 said in An Alternative To Map Extensions - Different World Maps:

@uranicpenny730 So would they have to end support for the Xbox 1 to allow for these updates? Essentially people playing it now wouldn't be able to experience these extended maps and associated content?

I could see that being a solution for Sea of Thieves 2 but I can't imagine them ending support for the Xbox 1 any times soon. Perhaps in 5 or so years out of their 10 year support commitment.

No mate. Server load has nothing to do with the client (console or PC) and everything to do with code and compression. SoT is not well optimised and my guess is that the coding used for the ocean is super hungry.

The one problem with your idea of three distinct maps is population. If you split the current player count into three you’d immediately start to struggle to populate servers. For every filter level (and this would essentially be one) the number of concurrent players needed increases exponentially.
    I’m all for new areas but would prefer they expanded the current map.

• @mentimjojo it’s be a pretty serious problem if they can’t scale their server tech.

• @d3adst1ck Just because of that? What about the eclipse then? This evidence is stronger )) Or Rare just missed the thing (which I doubt).

Views
5 out of 17