If you're solo in a sloop and a skeleton ship attacks, you might as well scuttle ship.

• Hey SOT,

With the new shrouded spoils update, a feature added to the game is the roaming skeleton ships. Mostly roaming I should say, there is a chance that one of these skeleton ships may appear from the depths and begin hunting down your ship. This isn't such an issue for the large crews, but when It happened to me I was solo on a sloop. The skeleton galleons are incredibly tough, and are essentially impossible to beat on your own in a sloop. This means if you're solo and a skeleton galleon starts hunting you down, you may as well switch servers, you're doomed. The Kraken and the Megladon can both be escaped, but no matter where you go, A skeleton ship will follow you. I even tried stopping at an island to see if it would sail past and it started circling the island, intent on sinking me. There was nothing I could do, I can't sink a skeleton galleon on my own so I just stopped playing.

Just a suggestion, the skeleton ships should probably leave you alone when you dock at an island, same as the Megladon, rather than circle around the island raining canon fire on you. It feels a little unfair to have my voyage ruined because something I can't possibly defeat or escape from randomly spawned with the sole purpose of sinking me.

Publications
    Vues
  • @emperorass

Well it is possible for sure to solo sloop sink a Skelleon. (Skelleton Galleon)

U probably just need more XP.
    I took them out solo. Even the skelly ship waves. And that is harder than just the one ship.
    U dont need cannonballs for it. U dont need powderkeg. Dont need to leave your own ship. All u need is 1 hole in your ship and bucket the water in theirs.

If u want the commendation for sinkin skelly ships, than u need to pop 1 cannonball in them before sinking them or else the commenation will not be tracked.

• @emperorass Skeleton Galleons are easy when playing solo on a sloop, so long as you have cannonballs.

• @emperorass I've had the opposite whenever encountering skelly ships on a solo sloop. Go about it the right way and they're surprisingly easy to manage. I'll try to give you a few tips...

• Slow down. As soon as I hear the music I put my sail up half way. The skelly ship is going to hound you whatever speed you go, so give yourself better maneuverability. That way you can position yourself better to attack them, and lessen the chances of colliding with an island/rock when you're below repairing.

• Prioritize repairs. Keeping your ship afloat is the most important thing. When you have holes, bail some water and then repair. By taking water out first you make staying afloat much more manageable and you're better prepared for if you get hit by any cursed cannon ball that stops you moving.

• Remember, they can't bail water. Something I always take advantage of, though probably has a small effect. If you collide and get stuck together, don't patch all your holes. Instead, bail water on to their ship. You're adding water to them whilst removing it from yourself!

• Cursed cannon balls are your friends. It's RNG so may not always be applicable. But if you have jig, weary or grog balls, use them! Put a couple of holes in them before hitting them with a jig ball, then go back to a few more normal balls. Just watch how quickly they go down!

• Don't bother boarding them. As long as you are on your ship, it can be kept afloat. Many try to jump on to their ship to keg them. A great technique when you have others left on your ship. But you're likely to lose your unmanned ship trying this alone.

These tips, with a little patience, will hopefully see you sinking them scallywags with relative ease!

Don't give up. I hope this helps!

• My friend, I assure you the skeleton ships are quite sinkable, even solo on a sloop. Some are easier than others, but as long as your ship is well-supplied you can beat them almost every time. Make sure your main effort is always on keeping your ship afloat. If you lose your ship, you lose the battle. So whatever else is happening, if that water is rising, you bail. When the water is managed start patching. If you need to, patch a hole, bail, patch another hole, bail more, etc. When things are under control (they don't have to be perfect, just manageable) then put as many cannonballs as you can into the skeleton ship. Try to aim your shots below the water line. Keep pounding them. If you have cursed cannonballs, use them to your best advantage. If you're diligent about keeping your ship repaired, and hammer the enemy every chance you get, eventually you'll succeed.

It's not as hard as you think, it just takes practice. You can do it!

• I did a solo Skelly fort and had like 6 kegs of gunpowder barrels including the stronghold gunpowder barrel on my row boat attached the the back. I had bare minimum supplies left. On my way back to an outpost a skelly sloop attacked. I was nervous at first that it would shoot and hit the gunpowder barrels but I went full speed ahead and when he came out of the water I used my anchor and when he passed me I put the anchor back up and just sailed away.. he shot at me but the entire encounter lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes until he left me alone.

• I respectfully disagree since what I'm doing the most in the game now is hunting down skeleton ships and megs. I'm always playing solo and what you need is a lot of resources, the more you can gather the better. It's incredibly fun to do and now it's giving great rewards. What I do think it's a pain in the a** is when you're fighting a skeleton ship all by yourself wasting your resources and then comes a brig or gally instead of allying with you they destroy you and the skeleton ship. Lol. I try to laugh always, what can we do? It's Sea of Thieves.

• There really isn't anything in this game that can't be done solo. It just takes time, resources, and sheer tenacity.

• In general, I'm inclined to agree with you, but last night I came within a breath of sinking my first Skellie Ship while Solo Slooping; what stopped me was that I ran out of cannonballs thanks to a greedy merchant mission decision on my own part (I used my own cannonballs to fill a crate for a quick profit). Otherwise, I finally would have got one while on my sloop.
    Having enough ammo, and getting decent positioning (in other words, don't get rattled when they show up) will make all the difference in the world.

I still agree that they should lay off around outposts, though.

• Last night I also nearly defeated one Solo Slooping...
    Made my ship doing circles while getting onto theirs to kill most of the skeletons.

Still I agree that there should be a chance to outrun them anyhow...I'd love having the chance to use the advantages of the smaller ship, such as going against the wind!

You should be able to make them body-check a sandbank being unable to navigate or getting stuck between to stones where you easily fit through...

• @emperorass

I have lost count the number of skellie ships sank with a sloop. The same is true with player ships. Have sank fleets of both. So, it is very possible.

Like everyone else has said you need to be prepared resource wise and engage them to get more experience. Stocking up should be the number one priority when setting sail. Filling up on every type of resource as soon as possible and keeping things full is more important than ever.

Skellie ships are doing what other players can and will do. Players can chase you, follow you to an outpost and approach after you are docked. There has always been threats on the sea. Now there are a lot more of them. You will have a lot more fun learning how to sling cannonballs back.

• Skeleton Ship Event (waves) are soloable in a sloop. I hunt the single ones because it's easy money.

For a solo ship, just cut your sails and let them come to you. Pop a few holes on approach, ballast ball and a weary or jig.

Easy.

It's a bit more difficult if they have any green balls that immobilize you but just keep up on the repairs best you can and maybe drop the sails a bit if they are very aggressive.

• I would add that the fact that they chase you (compared to accidentally running off a meg cause of a nearby rock...) can be a good thing. I have sank several solo and used the chase moments as a chance to hit up repairs and bailing.

Also you can outrun them. I did it when one came at me and I had a good bit of loot and just got a chest of sorrows. Since they got the jump on me and had the starting advantage and the dang chest was crying I wasn't picking that fight.

Jumped on me at the southern most island in Devil's Roar and I made it back to the outpost and it gave up maybe around the halfway point between and went back to terrorizing the southern region.

It can definitely be tricky but I have greatly enjoyed the challenge and the reward is always nice~

Also it amuses me when they pull up right beside me too close to use their cannons and I just bail water into their faces.

• @emperorass I don’t know what your talking about...the only time a skeleton ship attacks me is when I fire at them. I haven’t seen one just pop up and hunt me down though

• I've seen plenty of posts from solo sloopers saying it's managable, seeing as Solo'ing is touted as an optional really hard thing to do I'm not going to say rare should rebalance this just for the sake of solo players. I've had no trouble with any skeleton ship on either Brig or Galleon so I'm saying it's balanced just fine.

If you're on a sloop solo and you want to just relax and sail while having an easy time with it this game might not be for you. If the community was telling us all it's impossible then that's that but hard is what Rare discribes solo slooping on this verry website.

• @luciansanchez82 OMG, thank you so much! I sank my first skelly galleon solo like 2 minutes ago. They didn't do any major damage to me, only 2 holes.

Thank you for your tutorial, got beautiful skeleton captain chest. :)

EDIT: Sank 2nd one, they sank after 2 or 3 hits, w*f. :D Didn't even move.

• For me, I can sink a skeleton galleon solo, as long as they don't knock me into the ocean. I think I lost my sloop those two times that happened. As for when I am not knocked back, I suggest loading as many cannonballs into the ship as much as possible. And if you have one, after that, load and fire a ballast ball at them. They will sink like a rock if you do so. When at an island circling it, that might leave you time to swim out with a keg to blow them apart. (How ever that is risky, they can still shoot your unmanned ship at the island)

• When your solo on a sloop , and a skelly ship atack , stay near it as close as you cant they wont ever damage you

• I agree, those skell ships can be persistent. However I believe that instead, skelly ships should follow to a certain distance. Perhaps about a difference in distance of 5- 6 squares? Idk, but what I do know is that skelly ships should give up on the chase after you leave a certain distance range from their ship

• @emperorass skeleton ship and meg are so easy as a solo sloop
    You said it's easy to escape the meg, but why should I try to escape it when it's so easy to kill it

• Haven’t quite managed to sink one solo yet but did have an aggressive one follow me from one side of the map to the other. I did just outsail it but only because I kept the wind with me at all times. Once you wind, even for a few seconds, the skelly ship will be closer on your tail.
    I tried sailing round a small island but it hit me a rigging ball and that sealed my fate lol. Was fun and exciting while it lasted.

• I posted this to help another player to address a similar issue, and it seems relevant to post here as well. Here are my tips:

First, you need to be well supplied. I would say 40 cannonballs along with 25 pieces of wood should be more than enough.

Second, you need to use the environment to your advantage as much as possible. My favorite tactic is to kite them into an area where you can play to the sloop's advantages and take advantage of the skellies questionable sailing techniques. Think about cutlass cay, rapier cay, or shipwreck bay. Those islands are great because they are an island situated within a perilous set of rocks that border them. With your sloop, you can easily slice and weave between the rocks and islands, and force the skelly gally to take on water as they continually crash into obstructions they are not nimble enough to move through.

Third, you need to ensure the majority of your broadsides hit below the waterline for the gally. Skellies cannot bail water (as others have noted here), and that means the better your shots are, the faster that irreversible damage pours into the ship. With enough supplies and good shooting, victory is only a matter of time.

Fourth, if you can find cursed cannonballs; especially a ballast ball, you can end the fight much more quickly. Pepper the gally until it has taken on a deck of water (and is riding a level below the water line) and hit it with the ballast ball. From there, 3-4 follow up shots should sink it outright.

Finally, if you stumble on a passive skelly ship going about its business, wait until it pulls close to an island and slows up (this requires you to have a gunpowder keg). Pull your ship alongside it (they won't shoot), jump into the water and board their ship. You can sprint down two decks and light the GP keg off on the bottom deck. Even if you die immediately afterword, you still have done a whole floor of irreversible damage to the skelly ship. I have never had an issue getting back onto my ship to finish the fight even in the event of an untimely demise running this scheme.

Anyways those are some tips I have. So long as I am prepared, I end up winning the majority of those fights solo; especially against the passive ones.

Don't be discouraged, with proper tactics, you will be more than a match for em @EmperorAss

I do agree with many on this thread that the skellies should give up after a while; the relentless pursuit is a bit much if you don't feel like engaging. I feel escape should always be an option since it is for nearly every other type of encounter (kraken, megs, players, etc.)

• @ondrejbakan said in If you're solo in a sloop and a skeleton ship attacks, you might as well scuttle ship.:

@luciansanchez82 OMG, thank you so much! I sank my first skelly galleon solo like 2 minutes ago. They didn't do any major damage to me, only 2 holes.

Thank you for your tutorial, got beautiful skeleton captain chest. :)

EDIT: Sank 2nd one, they sank after 2 or 3 hits, w*f. :D Didn't even move.

This is wonderful! Glad I was able to help matey!

• @o-hitman-47-o said in If you're solo in a sloop and a skeleton ship attacks, you might as well scuttle ship.:

I posted this to help another player to address a similar issue, and it seems relevant to post here as well. Here are my tips:

First, you need to be well supplied. I would say 40 cannonballs along with 25 pieces of wood should be more than enough.

Second, you need to use the environment to your advantage as much as possible. My favorite tactic is to kite them into an area where you can play to the sloop's advantages and take advantage of the skellies questionable sailing techniques. Think about cutlass cay, rapier cay, or shipwreck bay. Those islands are great because they are an island situated within a perilous set of rocks that border them. With your sloop, you can easily slice and weave between the rocks and islands, and force the skelly gally to take on water as they continually crash into obstructions they are not nimble enough to move through.

Third, you need to ensure the majority of your broadsides hit below the waterline for the gally. Skellies cannot bail water (as others have noted here), and that means the better your shots are, the faster that irreversible damage pours into the ship. With enough supplies and good shooting, victory is only a matter of time.

Fourth, if you can find cursed cannonballs; especially a ballast ball, you can end the fight much more quickly. Pepper the gally until it has taken on a deck of water (and is riding a level below the water line) and hit it with the ballast ball. From there, 3-4 follow up shots should sink it outright.

Finally, if you stumble on a passive skelly ship going about its business, wait until it pulls close to an island and slows up (this requires you to have a gunpowder keg). Pull your ship alongside it (they won't shoot), jump into the water and board their ship. You can sprint down two decks and light the GP keg off on the bottom deck. Even if you die immediately afterword, you still have done a whole floor of irreversible damage to the skelly ship. I have never had an issue getting back onto my ship to finish the fight even in the event of an untimely demise running this scheme.

Anyways those are some tips I have. So long as I am prepared, I end up winning the majority of those fights solo; especially against the passive ones.

Don't be discouraged, with proper tactics, you will be more than a match for em @EmperorAss

I do agree with many on this thread that the skellies should give up after a while; the relentless pursuit is a bit much if you don't feel like engaging. I feel escape should always be an option since it is for nearly every other type of encounter (kraken, megs, players, etc.)

Some very interesting tips here. I especially like the idea of kiting them in to rocks/other islands. Cheers matey!

• In terms of the sails and wheel: reef the sails most of the way and turn the wheel to one side. That way, you don't sail off the map or into rocks (if you choose your location wisely). That way at least you don't have to bother with those.

• I'd say you're giving up too easily. I've actually been hunting these guys down while solo and sinking them for commendations.

• @danklizard202 .... Read the thread... or watch the promo footage for shrouded spoils... or play the game. It happens and nobody is debating that.

• @schwammlgott because sometimes you're in the middle of something and would rather not fight.... It's a pretty simple concept to understand.

• I could care less if players on this form can solo it. Its still annoying that those ships hunt you down to no end. Which is, what I see as the biggest issue with them. Like even if you know how to fight them, I still don't want to do it, because I have other things that I might want to do. I know how to beat the meg and krak, but when they appear I just sail away because I am not interested, but at least with those fights you can just sail a good distance away. These ships aren't impossible, but if you don't know how to fight them solo, or you get bucked off your ship from a cannonball, good luck. Also, I would really like to see these things not spawn so close to players as well. Make it so I see them spawn at a distance, but the fight would start if I got close to them. Not just pulling me into a fight that I don't want to be in. Really bad on your part Rare.

• I've been in battles with the random skeleton galleon ships while soloing and sloop and taken them down (sometimes a challenge), they are not as hard, once you know what to do from the previous encounters. They are not as tough, if you have the right curse cannonballs to use (me mostly I like the anchorballs and peaceballs). When you are shooting at them, shoot them on the lower level of the boat, they can't bail water and might want to also dodge the incoming cannons as well. It takes practice here and there, but you will see for yourself that it is not as hard as you think.

• @emperorass
    Ram the skeleton ship and bail the water over to them, get out of cannon range, repair, repeat.

• If only it was mere the skeleton ship, but get a megalodon meanwhile and a storm incoming and you may find yourself in the usual solo experience.

I don't know what those devs have against solo players but that's outstanding : I play coop and I get bored for nothing much happens thus we usually do casual questing, I play solo and this is unending s..t storm straight in the fan any freaking time.

• This afternoon, for the first time, i solo sinked a skeleton galleon...yay!! I had a ton of luck: i didn't die once and didn't fell out of the sloop. Given this, shoot shoot shoot and repair repair repair. In the end, there wasn't any more paint on my sloop. Now i know i can make it. Beware, you skeletons!

• I feel like this topic has been well covered in this thread. I sail almost exclusively solo, and there have been 5 skeleton ships so far that I havnt been able to sink. Three of them beached themselves on islands and I parked up to their stern and unloaded cannons on them but they eventually just disappeared without dropping loot. One of them just despawned back below the waves, and one attacked me while I was tangling with a kraken, and I was sucked up in a tentacle’s mouth while the skelly ship pummeled mine.

Just be smart, always be stocked up, and if you’re not, stop at EVERY. SINGLE. ISLAND. That you pass until you are stocked up. prioritize repairs, but make sure you are landing your shots below the water line. Really just practice. You’ll get it, and it won’t be such a hassle for you anymore

• I agree that skelleons can be annoying. It took me a little while to figure them out, but they are sinkable as a solo sloop. Take your sails up to half so you have better maneuverability. What I like to do is turn my wheel about a third of the way in the direction of the skelleon so I start circling it and then blast away at them without having to worry about actually sailing for a bit. If you have an anchor ball even better.

I do agree, though, that if you get close to an island they should go away like the meg does. Sometimes I just don't want to fight them, and being forced into it isn't fun at all.

Publications
Vues
14 sur 78