Community day stats halved

• When comparing the community day stats for season 13 with those for season 12, most of the numbers were almost halved.
    Ex:
    Gold season 12 - 290 191 761 714
    Gold season 13 - 178 261 002 567

Cannonballs fired season 12 - 52 997 680
    Cannonballs fired season 13 - 24 290 333

It's natural for the player base to decline over time. This is the life cycle of any game. But I have the impression that this trend goes beyond a natural weariness.
    SoT is a "set your own goal" game, but without anything to convince even the most veteran players to launch a new game.

All the discord servers are leaking. The number of organised team which could have multiple crew every days are now deserts.

Why is that ?

PVE : Why play PVE ?
    As a veteran, and a galleon player, most crews encounterd are from a lesser level. They dont seek confrontation (It's fine, nobody owes me PvP), and dont hoard loot (it's fine, the game want them to sell early). But then why would I go hunt them ?
    The BB ? If you capture one, it's almost guarranted that you will see nobody untill you sell. Cruising around the map is not the most exciting activity...
    Hunting leveled BB ? Low level ones aren't worth anything, and high level ones are so rare that you just spend your time server jumping
    Farm gold for cosmetics ? YOU MEAN THE ONE JACKET PER MONTH ?!

How to fix (Maybe) ?
    I think (but it's only my opinion) that forcing the less seasonned players (numbers of hour in game, or level based) to the same servers could help. It would have the advantages to not have noobs being destroyed by veterans each time they sails outside an outpost. And for veterans, it could means more loot when crossing path with another crew. Safer sears is a good step, but it's not enough to teach new players the game.
    Stop spreading the activities. The most fun I had in the last months was when all the quests were in the same biome for avery crew. Right now you can spend hours without seeing any sails at the horizon. Even more if you are a Galleon, then you are avoided like plague. For me the quests should get you near other crews.

HOURGLASS :
    Farming ressources is a pain. You dont need to farm ammo for your 10 min (Overwatch/Valorant/LoL/choose your game) match. Then why do I need to farm ressources for my galleon ?
    "Don't !" You could say, but then the other crew will still do it and we will be at a disadvantage. And the exploits to get multiple crate dont help...
    Hourglass should be set on its own server. It being on Adventure mode anly take slots preventing PvE players from interacting with other crews. It would also allow to set default ressources at the beginning of each match, reducing downtime between each match and lessening the "loosing penalty".
    The win streak system is also a big problem. In a balanced match, you should have a 50/50 chance of winning... Win streaks only make sense if I'm expected to roll on every body... And nobody like to be rolled on, so they dont play anymore, or farm loses.
    It's not fun to loose AND TO HAVE TO FARM AGAIN. If a lose a match in valorant, I just queue again. I dont need to gather ressources, raise anchor, sail away, vote for hourglass, vote for diving, and then wait hoping for no bug/cheat/balanced match.

Visualizzazioni
  • Thanks for comparing the stats. Didnt thought that we had such a steep drop in players to account a drop of around 50%, if im not missing any detail that is indeed quite concerning regarding game health.

• @tuxzip said in Community day stats halved:

When comparing the community day stats for season 13 with those for season 12, most of the numbers were almost halved.
    Ex:
    Gold season 12 - 290 191 761 714
    Gold season 13 - 178 261 002 567

Needs more information about when the stages of the multiplier were reached. If it took longer this season, less gold would be logical.

Also, the Burning Blade - while it can reward you with lots of gold, when getting sunk, the profit earned (by the sinking crew) would be less. IIRC in S12 it was the FoF - no matter if you got sunk after, the possible value would in most cases transfer to the crew that sunk you.
    It also takes a lot longer; when sailing the BB and trying to get to the 8th ritual, it takes up most of a session; FoFs takes way less time, multiple FoFs would earn you more than a single BB.
    People who sink the BB may also not be the highest grade of the emissary (if they even use one); FoF (by completion or stealing it) would get you some grade at least.

People might also have done more Hourglass, IIRC in S12 there were issues that kept us from trying to get allegiance.

Cannonballs fired season 12 - 52 997 680
    Cannonballs fired season 13 - 24 290 333

Does this figure include the cannons fired by the skellie crew of the Burning Blade or just the ones fired by players ?

• @lem0n-curry

Pirates fired from cannons
    S12 - 3 557 318
    S13 - 1 608 007

Burnt Grubs
    S12 - 3702
    S13 - 1878

Steam charts (Dont include console players but for the tendances)
    22 sept 2024 - max 16k players
    June 2024 (dont have the exact count in steamcharts) - 30k average

• I would assume a large part in the drop is due to the number of bugs we are running into this time... I love the game but between bugs and exploits it's pretty annoying.

• But the forum Expert said the population Is not dropping we dont have data!

• Death by fireworks S12: 1.1k
    S13: 6

Death by volcanoes S12: 434k
    S13: 18

430 THOUSAND people died by a volcano last season's community weekend to just under 20 this community weekend.

@il-truth-li

But the forum Expert said the population Is not dropping we dont have data!

As far as I'm concerned the SoT Steam Statistical page is the only accurate one we have.
    It's showing a big decline the past 5 months.
    Burning Blade as far as I'm aware is also the first season ever to not boost player base up (Steam side of things I'm referring to). I'm sure RARE weren't expecting that...
    I think it was AShinyRay or another big SoT content Creator that stated S13 would make or break the future of the game, and yeah that person was probably right...
    The PlayStation users aren't gonna take long before they realize the amount of problems this game currently has and their voices unheard before they also start leaving in drives..
    Actually it's already happened/ing back in April by a website from GameRant, SoT PS5 has lost 58% of it's playerbase in April after a strong launch.

Unfortunately we don't have websites that track accurate data enough to get the full picture, I looked up countless websites and most are gunk with massive discrepancies that cannot be taken seriously to make an average judgment...

''But but but it's doing just fine for a 6 year old game!''
    It really isn't, or should I say the potential is hugely under-valued to be bigger than what it is.
    SoT is still a very unique game unlike FPS games where seeing big player base decrease is much more common.
    Unique games like Fortnite, WoW, Minecraft, LoL,DoTA etc all maintain millions of players for decades because of how unique they are to each other.
    SoT could of been the same.

Let's hope a SoT 2.0 is under works and actually gets put the attention and love it deserves for all sides of the community. (I'm looking at certain RARE devs that thought killing a whole PvP competitive community
    would have zero ramifications down the line) it ain't solely about ARENA either...
    WHOLE communities where wiped/killed off without a care in the world from a company that LOVES to boast about ''diversity''.

• @tuxzip said in Community day stats halved:

All the discord servers are leaking. The number of organised team which could have multiple crew every days are now deserts.

I noticed this as well, I manage a Dutch discord server that has several guilds, and it got really really quite lately.

Initially I though it was the summer period that caused this. But after talking to some members it turned out that most people are just tired of bugs breaking the game all the time ( disconnects / black screens, submarine mode in hg ), the regular cheaters in hourglass, and a lack of new exciting things being added to the game. Yes, the the burning blade was nice, but no new islands / voyages etc are added.

Yesterday we for example sunk a burning blade that had a seven streak near a skeleton camp. This took over an hour. And what happened when we sunk it? It just de spawned while it was under water, one of us was teleported to Reapers Hideout and no sword to be seen. Just wasted time for nothing. Stuff like that is unacceptable and drives people to other games...

• @bozaandbanitza said in Community day stats halved:

@tuxzip said in Community day stats halved:

I noticed this as well, I manage a Dutch discord server that has several guilds, and it got really really quite lately.

Initially I though it was the summer period that caused this. But after talking to some members it turned out that most people are just tired of bugs breaking the game all the time ( disconnects / black screens, submarine mode in hg ), the regular cheaters in hourglass, and a lack of new exciting things being added to the game. Yes, the the burning blade was nice, but no new islands / voyages etc are added.

Yesterday we for example sunk a burning blade that had a seven streak near a skeleton camp. This took over an hour. And what happened when we sunk it? It just de spawned while it was under water, one of us was teleported to Reapers Hideout and no sword to be seen. Just wasted time for nothing. Stuff like that is unacceptable and drives people to other games...

We also sunk BB the other day (not controlled by other pirates). One of us teleported to reapers hideout. No sword, no loot.

• @il-truth-li said in Community day stats halved:

/me looks at posts

Who is saying that ?

• @lem0n-curry

Person Who Is not posting in this tread ;)

• While there is a clear decline, and I'm not going to debate that, I think it's important to factor in that the game had a massive boost in players for Season 12 due to releasing on PlayStation 5. Retention may be an issue there, and I think that may be due to the game health more than anything else.

To get a better overall picture, you need to look at previous Seasons as well. I went digging through Discord announcements for the following....

The Season 11 Community Weekend stats were:

37,238,436 cannonballs fired
    266,050,174,198 gold earned
    2,088,176 tankards of grog drunk
    2,017,444 pirates fired from cannons
    16,363 krakens defeated
    2,201 Burnt Grubs chomped
    10 players killed by fireworks
    35 players killed by a volcano
    £34,000 raised for Special Effect

No stats found for Season 10.

Season 9 Community Weekend stats:

166,587 Touch Grass emotes performed
    1,965 burnt grubs eaten
    18,006 Chests of Fortune sold
    2,615,501 Grogs drunk
    32,313,348 normal cannonballs fired
    7 players killed by a firework

As I said, I think game health is having a big impact on retention. But I also know from my conversations with others in the community that a lot of players are fearful for Season 14 and the plans for that, which look like they may unbalance the game, especially for solo players. So a lot of players are sadly considering their futures with the game and looking at other titles.

• Signed in for the free stuff and to see what the limited voyage was about. Did one. Got bored and quit halfway back to sell.
    Very disappointed. It's becoming the standard SoT experience for us.

• @lem0n-curry said in Community day stats halved:

@il-truth-li said in Community day stats halved:

/me looks at posts

Who is saying that ?

Multiple people who cannot be named because of ''witch hunt'' . I've seen you on these forums frequently so it shouldn't be hard to tell who the usual RARE glazers are, despite strong evidence that the game is going down the toilet and has been for the past 2 years if we are being completely honest with ourselves...
    The problems keep piling on top of each other, either they completely refuse/ are in denial that it will lead to problems to what we have today and will continue to worsen, or they are gravely mistaken with lack of knowledge. The latter being acceptable, the former you are just pretending to like RARE, the game so much but I would die on a hill by stating that you truly don't if you defend something that you damn well know is getting worse over time and your behavior of defending such poor decisions is a catalyst for all this... You can have opinions, but what blocks the bad opinions from the good is the facts...

Take a small recent example out of the thousands:
    People pretending like the yellowbeard wave that we had a week or two ago was due to a ''bug'' when strong evidence pointed to cheaters issuing them to streamers and other popular SoT players, Only RARE had to tell them that to finally believe in it, because or else we are ''conspiracy theorists, rage baiters '' or in classic Community Manager fashion ''absurd'' etc. Sorry if this sounds like it's directed at you, it certainly isn't.
    Good riddance

You always have that group that do their best to downplay things and twists truths in their favor... There's a few on this forumn, and funnily enough there's a few who left and/or are still lurking but not engaging because how can they? When they get proven the contrary over and over again.

• @ix-indi-xi said in Community day stats halved:

Take a small recent example out of the thousands:
    People pretending like the yellowbeard wave that we had a week or two ago was due to a ''bug'' when strong evidence pointed to cheaters issuing them to streamers and other popular SoT players, Only RARE had to tell them that to finally believe in it, because or else we are ''conspiracy theorists, rage baiters '' or in classic Community Manager fashion ''absurd'' etc. Sorry if this sounds like it's directed at you, it certainly isn't.
    Good riddance

I think this one was hard to believe because it was a limited window and did not affect that many players (relatively speaking).

Visualizzazioni
1 su 16