Ships

• Jib sails to have control over maneuverability on the larger ships. A complete customization menu for ship interior and exterior layout. Where you can shrink and increase the size of the ship hull and add the necessary parts depending on the size of the hull with limits to where and how things can be placed so as to ensure balance. The placement of major ship parts can be based on real ship designs, and the size of the ship hull will determine the number of players allowed on the ship. This is necessary for the large number of players who have a creative thirst that cannot get it from cosmetics alone.

게시물
    조회 수
  • They would have to basically build a totally new ship system from ground up to make this possible, which i dont think will happen since the ships are one of the deepest ingrained systems in this game. Replacing them with a whole new ship system would probably break the game as a whole.

Best we can hope for is just new ship types with new layouts.

• I was thinking that too. But with new ship types with new layouts, I thought might as well add a customization menu where you combine the variations of crew sized ships. So you end up with rough customization. As long as each ship can be somewhat unique, but not sure how far they can take it if what you say is true. I also think moving away from cosmetics only will really help the pirate emporium.

• I just want gaff, lateen, maybe junk and Bermuda rigs to make ships look different for added customization.

• creative thirst that cannot get it from cosmetics alone.

Pretty much they want a full strip down of all ships so they can customize the layout themselves.

That just over killing.

• So basically you want a different game.

While it would be cool to have more control over the look of the ship, and Jib Sails would be fun, this is not how this game was made. Sails work the same for every ship in the game: You angle to catch wind, and they go.

Having the ability to change the sails to Jib, would require an entire rework of how the ships actually sail, and have it be truly be based off of wind physics... which in turn means that if you were trying to go up wind you would have to sail in a very erratic pattern to be able to actually move in that direction.

Changing the size of the hull won't work, without an entire rework on ship to ship combat.

However, I do think there is a place for some more cosmetic customization, like lanterns, harpoons, interior colors, etc.

• @reverend-toast I don't know about you but if you played back in 2018, this is basically a different game now with the mechanics they've introduced. I think they could manage a way to add layout customizations if desirable enough. You could add sails to larger ships to help them turn slightly faster without any major changes to the core mechanics. It's an issue with large ships that their turn rate is incredibly slow, especially into the wind. With a slight boost of speed depending on the angle of the wind/sails, which is already a thing. It would be balanced as it would require additional labour.

• @wungchang I have been playing since it was released, and the one thing that hasn't changed is the baseline mechanic of how ships move.

Yes they have added some additional elements like Harpoons, and some elements that weren't ready at launch, like breaking masts, wheels and capstans, have come out... but fundamentally the foundation of the game is how the ships work.

Changing that will be requiring them to go down to the root of their modifications to the Unreal Engine, and start making changes which could have cascading effects in how other elements work.

They learned a lot from making this game, and are undoubtedly working on Sea of Thieves 2... which different ways of interacting with the ocean could become a thing... however It is extremely unlikely they will be able to do anything like this in this current iteration of Sea of Thieves.

• @wungchang I think it's about time they added different version of the ships compass. That would not be hard to implement.

• @wungchang
    The slower turn speed of the larger ships is intentional. If there was a way to make the larger ships turn faster it would put sloops at a disadvantage. The point of a slower turn speed is to make the larger ships less maneuverable and give the sloop the advantage there. The advantage of some of the larger ships is that they are faster.

게시물
조회 수
10 중의 4