Max player count/Server size?

• I am posting because I couldn't find it anywhere on the forums. What is the max player size per server. The xbox marketplace claims 1-99, so one would assume the max players per server is 99 with a party cap of 4. Does anyone know or could someone from the development team chime in with the maximum amount of players for the beta and final?

Postagens
    Visualizações
  • Dude, a few of us are trying to figure that out.

• Do we know whether there is currently, or will be a way to look at the player count within a certain play session/server? We were playing several weeks ago, and quit and loaded into a handful of servers with the intent of finding other ships, and never once came across other players. Being able to see from the get-go if you and your friends have loaded into a server with no other players would be a huge time saver. The game is lonely and gets stale quickly with no other players.

• The limit at the moment is 1 ship per outpost. So, 6 ships with a crew size between 1-4. Basically, server size at the moment will be between 6-24 players. Seems like that is how they will be at launch as well.

No there is not a way to see a list of everyone on a server.

• Max server size is the wrong question, the game doesn’t have a traditional server instance which holds a fixed number of players. It reminds me more of how Destiny worked, in that you would seamlessly move between zones, and as you cross an invisible boundary you move into a zone that contains other players.

Check out this article: http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2018/02/13/sea-of-thieves-doesnt-have-a-maximum-or-minimum-server-size

• @p0tentpwnables I can't say I've experienced that, but I too would like for some way of seeing who's in your server/instance/whatever. Perhaps using "Esc" while not in a menu? Idk, I think'd it'd be a neat UI feature :)

• the number of ships per "instance" is variable with the intention of trying to create other ship sightings/interactions every 15 - 30 minutes.

• The 1-99 player count is just placeholder text signifying, in a basic sense, that this is a shared world online multiplayer game.

Otherwise, the article linked by @SnowBodhi is a good reference.

• Question - The article says you get a screen with a riddle and know that you're moving to another server.

I have never seen a screen pop up - played for hours and saw ships come and go.

Have any of you ever seen this server migration happen?

• @endosku11 I’ve seen that riddle pop up before like you said, but had no idea what it meant.

• @endosku11 yeah. You stop moving and it says something about new ships entering the waters on the screen. I don’t remember exactly what it says but you’ll know it when you see it.

• @snowbodhi said in Max player count/Server size?:

Max server size is the wrong question, the game doesn’t have a traditional server instance which holds a fixed number of players. It reminds me more of how Destiny worked, in that you would seamlessly move between zones, and as you cross an invisible boundary you move into a zone that contains other players.

Check out this article: http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2018/02/13/sea-of-thieves-doesnt-have-a-maximum-or-minimum-server-size

This post is the answer.

I noticed the "riddle" transition onto my screen when I would sometimes reach a new island. It said something about "the world is changing" and I didn't know at the time what the riddle was for.

• I've said it a few times but I think there needs to be more ships on each server. Just a couple.

• I agree their needs to be more players on the server hopefully that changes when the real game comes out. It would also be nice if they had a global chat.

• Ah okay so some of you have seen it.
    I never have yet - I'm guessing people were always being transferred to the server I was on... interesting...

Anyway - I was hoping that on release the edges of the map would transition you to new maps/area - and that some maps/areas you entered would have a higher ship count and be considered "dangerous waters"

• @pink-lemonade27 said in Max player count/Server size?:

I agree their needs to be more players on the server hopefully that changes when the real game comes out. It would also be nice if they had a global chat.

There's a fine line between a great pirate experience and GTA with boats.

• @d-muhny nothing wrong with GTA with boats

• They are not confirming this anywhere I don't think, they do not want a minimum or maximum count. Developers referred to it as a "Magic" number, to where your encounters with other players stagger from 15 minutes to half an hour perhaps. I've gone 2 hours without encountering anyone, and sometimes I've gone 5 minutes before finding another ship.

Postagens
Visualizações
9 de 18