Weapon Crafting/Modifications

• Hi Rare,

If this has been discussed please link that for me, but this is a cool thought that could add further customization to pirates & weapons.

Weapon modifications that you can craft to change the look of your weapons (specifically guns):

• Crafting mats: Rope, Nails, Wood, Metal (can be found on islands, shipwrecks, or rewards from defeating skeleton ships, skull forts)

• Crafting Recipes: Can be purchased from outpost vendors with golf or Bilge Rat Points

• Crafting Modifications: change the appearance of your guns (purely cosmetic), so no damage altering recipes. Crafting modifications can be: Long Barrels, short barrels, double blunderbuss barrels, color changes, old-new-rusted looks to your guns, gun hammers, triggers, etc.

• Recipes/Modifications can be released with new updates and themed based on the Rare's choice

• Enticing modifications will increase map exploration and encourage players to sail more frequently.

โพสต์
    การดู
  • Continued'

• [VFX] Smoke bursts from firing weapons (color changes)

• [VFX] Hammer spark bursts (color changes)

• [Sound Design] Gunshot sounds (add in preset adjustments to alter gun sounds) these could simply be pitch adjustments to existing SFX to minimize memory to the game

• @montess-cuervo
    The name scared me, but this would be great.

• @blazedrake100
    HA, why did it scare you?

• @montess-cuervo
    It sounded like a post asking for upgrades.

• Why does every game have to be about crafting? Lol.

Here's the game you are actually looking for:

Pirate game, multiplayer, but everything is about crafting.

Edit: previous link youtube video had a lot of swearing, to my surprise, so replaced it with something slightly more forum appropriate, i hope.

• @sweltering-nick
    It isn't about making it all about crafting, but adding this element will give the game more content.

Also crafting works, which is why so many games use it.

• @montess-cuervo said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@sweltering-nick
    It isn't about making it all about crafting, but adding this element will give the game more content.

Actually, crafting is a fad, a dying one, that is currently being replaced by another fad known as "Battle Royale".

Minecraft, ARK, Dark & Light, Atlas, etc... These games are more or less dead, or dying, because crafting DOESN'T work, not anymore.

It worked back when it was new, and fresh, but that's just a fad, fads die because in the long run, they aren't that great. of course, some people still take a shine to crafting in games, those would be the people that still play those games, a minority.

Adding this element to the Sea of Thieves, will add more content, but will also drag out gameplay more than it already is from farming cannonballs etc... And tbvh, i'd rather not this game become another ARK game where you can do a lot of things in theory, but in practice, you spend most of your time desperately hunting for food, because you starve to death within minutes, so you don't actually have time to build a boat, or anything like that... Basically, Atlas in a nutshell. xD

Therefore, the game you are looking for is Atlas, not Sea of Thieves, because Atlas has that exact thing you are looking for AND does the same things Sea of Thieves does, pirate adventure.

The reason why i asked "Why does every game have to be about crafting? lol" is because, on every forum, of every game, there is always the mandatory "Let's add crafting!" post... Let's just say repeatedly seeing that, and "Let's add a battle royale mode" gets old after a while, makes me very cranky when i see people i believe have no understanding or respect for the game in question, and just wants to turn that game into their favourite game instead of improving the things that makes the game unique.

From my perspective, you seem to want to turn this game into Atlas, that's why i posted that video, and said these things.

Not all games have to be the same... Not to mention, if we are to add crafting, Rare would most likely have to re-invent the inventory system AGAIN. :S

• @sweltering-nick

Thanks for the input, i have alot of disagreements with crafting being a "fad".
    Battle Royale is probably a fad...but it is now a game genre.

I do not want to make this Atlas, nor do i want to play it, but i feel these cool elements would add style to your pirate.

@sweltering-nick

Thanks for the input, i have alot of disagreements with crafting being a "fad".
    Battle Royale is probably a fad...but it is now a game genre.

I do not want to make this Atlas, nor do i want to play it, but i feel these cool elements would add style to your pirate.

These elements you describe could easily be replaced by a customization feature that allows you to mix and match weapon parts, so you can figure out your own style... This would actually greatly increase variation in appearances for pirates if applied to clothes too.

Why does crafting have to be part of it? There's no crafting in this game, there isn't even a cooking system where you can mix foods to make actual dishes... Why do we need crafting for a fashion-customization feature? Why not just an NPC that lets you mix and match stuff, in exchange for gold, a "fashionista" NPC? That way we'll have one of hopefully many gold sinks for players that have bought every cosmetic in the game and have too much money. This "fashionista" could also sell Dyes that pirates can colour their clothes and weapons with, for even more customization options.

Starting to see where i'm coming from with this yet? : /
    Why does crafting need to be in this game?
    https://meggnogg.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/disappointed.gif

• @sweltering-nick
    NPC that mixes and matches works too.
    And to your question about crafting....why not?

• @sweltering-nick
    Any type of modifications you can further do to your weapons is what I am looking for...whether that be through crafting or through NPC purchase modifications.

My theme is I would want this in the game - and i personally would not mind the crafting aspect as you know.

• @sweltering-nick said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@montess-cuervo said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@sweltering-nick

Actually, crafting is a fad, a dying one, that is currently being replaced by another fad known as "Battle Royale".

Minecraft, ARK, Dark & Light, Atlas, etc... These games are more or less dead, or dying, because crafting DOESN'T work, not anymore.

It worked back when it was new, and fresh, but that's just a fad, fads die because in the long run, they aren't that great. of course, some people still take a shine to crafting in games, those would be the people that still play those games, a minority.

" Minecraft,[...]These games are more or less dead, or dying, because crafting DOESN'T work, not anymore."

List of Best Selling Video Games of ALL TIME!

would you kindly look who is in #1 place?

• @squaz05 said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@sweltering-nick said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@sweltering-nick

" Minecraft,[...]These games are more or less dead, or dying, because crafting DOESN'T work, not anymore."

Best selling, and most active = very different things.

@sweltering-nick
    Any type of modifications you can further do to your weapons is what I am looking for...whether that be through crafting or through NPC purchase modifications.

My theme is I would want this in the game - and i personally would not mind the crafting aspect as you know.

You wouldn't mind the crafting aspect sure, but why impose the crafting aspect into a game that was never intended to be about crafting to begin with?

Therein lies the thing i mentioned earlier, feeling like you were trying to make SoT into Atlas, because if we add crafting... we actually do turn SoT into Atlas. The only differences between those games would be the graphics style, lol.

• @sweltering-nick it's ok saying what the game was never intended to be, but it is already so much more than it was at launch, with aspects that the Devs told us would never be in the game - linear events and stories, AI ships, PVP modes or a split of the player bases from XPlay...

• @sshteeve That's not even the point.

@sshteeve That's not even the point.

What is the point lol? You hate crafting in games?

All that “crafting” is a loose description of when things change state. It adds depth and isnt just a fad anymore than the first game that allowed character customizations like clothing changes. What some can argue was a fad that games didnt need is actually a standard that most games use and use well, to give their item pools and specific locations, depth of purpose and meaning, making these items and locations, things with a lot of variable use (purpose and meaning to them existing) and in turn the more uses the items have the more sandbox potential the game has to truly play out vastly different and uniquely each session, a core tenet of their design vision and principles.

Adding purpose and meaning to islands through crafting of all merchant goods and use of horizontal session based progression that is balanced and tilted towards the underdogs, and creating an economy of consumables and commodities would not only make the piracy loop better, but just makes sense in a game about earning gold and making stories.

We already have fishing and cooking in a basic form with some session based progression. Things no more unbalanced than that could be added in many ways utilizing a basic cause and effect crafting system, and i would like if some things required teamwork based minigames on specific islands.

Is gathering a bunch of rare pineapples and some crates of fine sugar (possibly with another island game to create these from sugarcane) and going to the grog brewers cave on sailors bounty (that they could add) and doing a fun skill and teamwork based minigame, to create the most valuable fruit grog recipe and then either drink or sell it, while also earning commendations for playing the game efficiently, sound like “crafting”? Yes but to me it sounds like the perfect next step for this game.

Ive been saying things like this for the entirety of my testing and i think if they start with fruits on trees and then work nodes in for all the merchant crate stuff as harvestables, and then work on adding recipes and crafting outcomes and minigames once the “merchanting” potential of the economy itself is there with all items being harvestable, is the way to go.

The animals dropping food and cooking has gotten my hopes up for this type of stuff again..

Examples of what i mean, volcanic stone only harvestable in the devils roar, npc that want to buy goods pay more farther away from where they commonly spawn as harvest nodes, player sales and purchases affect value and so does time of the ingame day and month, etc etc.

All islands gain unique purpose and have reason to visit beyong arbitrary fetch voyages or linear tales, you can just make your own trade route or opportunistically decide based on what you find to harvest, with knowledge of npc values and locations helping.

• @a-cranky-eskimo Well put. It doesn't have to be a focus of the game, but it can add a great deal of depth if implemented correctly.

• @badrobott said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@a-cranky-eskimo Well put. It doesn't have to be a focus of the game, but it can add a great deal of depth if implemented correctly.

Exactly. Im not saying “this is what i want everyone to do and thats why it needs to be in the game” im saying “i want to do things through my own choice and decision making, and have that play into piracy, and based on the many merchant items we have already skinned, heres a good way to do it” atleast imo.

This dosnt force anyone who dosnt want to learn that much depth of npc and item knowledge and uses to have to learn it rather than dig up some chests. And anything that is found could be used for all these more in depth purposes, or still just sold at value to a trading company on any outpost.

But it allows the players who truly want to embrace rares social vision about creating stories to actually do so rather than end up bored, and this would also likely increase the amount of goods players travel with becayse unlike the current implementation of “cargo runs” players would be actively harvesting ingredients of lesser value everywhere they went.

Change things like barrels going down with the ship, aswell as adding repercussions for sinking others, and we have a lot more interesting piracy and less perceived as griefing, imo.

• @a-cranky-eskimo
    I agree with you - and i appreciate your argument.
    Lately the argument that @Sweltering-Nick is that he just doesn't want crafting, and would prefer we all see it that way.

• @a-cranky-eskimo Im not even gonna bother to read your entire posts, and just answer the question, because you wouldn't ask that question unless you completely missed the point.

If we add crafting in SoT, the game turns into Atlas.

This game, does not need to be another game, it can be its own game... The way i see it, if you want crafting in your pirate adventure game, play Atlas, don't try to turn this game into Atlas.

@a-cranky-eskimo Im not even gonna bother to read your entire posts, and just answer the question, because you wouldn't ask that question unless you completely missed the point.

If we add crafting in SoT, the game turns into Atlas.

This game, does not need to be another game, it can be its own game... The way i see it, if you want crafting in your pirate adventure game, play Atlas, don't try to turn this game into Atlas.

Thats a terrible argument, and you should read my posts and if you want anything clarified or have anything youd like to change or say is bad with reasoned complaints i will happily hear them.

Crafting is already in the game. We craft cooked foods on a cooking crafting station.

Nobody is saying go full atlas/minecraft.

Just for SoT to have something (like cooking is now a thing) rather than nothing in that department, because of all the areas of the game it would improve on at the same time. Islands would be richer for exploration, and purposeful with crafting minigames placed around (not unlike cooking pans.. but with more variety) players stories would be more unique. There would be shorter term goals you could create with less steps, it gives more actual reason for alliances and trading if done right.

They are already on the way to doing this and have some basic cause and effect crafting in the game already.

You havnt made any solid point as far as i can see, and to me it reminds me of the times when i have made comments like the devs just are lazy dont want to attempt anything difficult like an economy or a lot of consumables, they only have like 3 animals and sharks and skeletons still, etc. and i hate talking down about rare or this game..

We have a large amount of various merchant items though, from things that would play into cooking to things that if used would have to be considered “crafting”. I think that is the future for SoT adventure mode at some point.

@squaz05 said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@sweltering-nick

Not most active != dead. It actually broke that record pretty recently, so people are still spending money on it. It might not be the most popular game any more, but it's definitely not dead or dying.

• @a-cranky-eskimo

"Crafting is already in the game. We craft cooked foods on a cooking crafting station."

No. That isn't even remotely crafting.

"Nobody is saying go full atlas/minecraft."

If they add actual crafting, people will get the impression that this is now a crafting game, and will come with infinite amounts of suggestions that would expand the crafting system. Which rare would have no reason not to expand on, because they added crafting, and why not expand on a feature they decided to add?

So yes, if we add crafting, this game WILL turn into Atlas, guaranteed.

• Ahhhh... when the forum descends into:

this game WILL turn into Atlas, guaranteed.

1. Does SoT have AI controlled crewmates? No
    2. Does SoT have unlockable skills or classes? No
    3. Does SoT have world discovery? No
    4. Does SoT allow you to tame wild creatures? No
    5. Does SoT let you "build" and retain your own ship? No
    6. Does SoT have full questing systems to aid the levelling of point 2? No
    7. Is SoT an MMO? No
    8. Is SoT a completely different style game? Yes

So I suppose what I am trying to say is... Will adding crafting in a small dose turn SoT into anything like Atlas? No

@sweltering-nick

you and your content this game has a lot of CONTENT already so I like the idea but the only part I like in the hammer making a flash when the pistol is shot

@a-cranky-eskimo

"Crafting is already in the game. We craft cooked foods on a cooking crafting station."

No. That isn't even remotely crafting.

"Nobody is saying go full atlas/minecraft."

If they add actual crafting, people will get the impression that this is now a crafting game, and will come with infinite amounts of suggestions that would expand the crafting system. Which rare would have no reason not to expand on, because they added crafting, and why not expand on a feature they decided to add?

So yes, if we add crafting, this game WILL turn into Atlas, guaranteed.

You still just sound bigoted against crafting dude. It will not turn into atlas at all, and if some things in games like the general idea of crafting arent entirely unique.. oh well, thats why i suggest making the actual step of “crafting” anything to revolve around fun teamwork and timing/efficiency and knowledge based minigames located on specific islands, so that they could utilize the wealth of merchant items they have to create a basic economy of harvestables, this isnt copying atlas or anyone, except maybe trying to transcend the fun of mario party minigames to an open world with the threat of pvp. Ok so now every ship always has lots of harvested things because every crate can be gathered from nodes placed strategically to influence values along with npc price ranges doing the same, so now there are repercussions for sinking ships rather than just attempting to steal or incapacitate, which should happen to cannons as well as the other damage points, with a new repair tool or material.

They could rework the OoS to be about killing skeleton lords to obtain the maps to their treasure for the GH, who would finally sell keys to open the chests for chances at resources or newly introduced tradeable rare cosmetics, rather than having an empty game with meaningless gold down to the pricing of cosmetics.

Will all this “turn the game into atlas” or is that just one of many bad excuses for this games lackluster progress? I swear at this point its not arrogant to say that they should just give me a call and ill start talking/yelling some sense at these people, though maybe they just need like 4-5 years to develop all this and the fact that cooking and all those merchant items are even there is just a sign of whats to come, lets hope so.

Your argument is just bad though lol.. again, even the action of fixing the ship is a basic form of cause and effect state change where an item is consumed.

Maybe thats not spot on crafting but if you dont see the pieces here for a pirate game idk what to tell ya, agree to disagree at this point, unless you come back with an actual argument. Rare could put a unique spin on merchant crafting for SoT, for sure. Ill be here with ideas when they do.

• @blazedrake100 said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@squaz05 said in Weapon Crafting/Modifications:

@sweltering-nick

Not most active != dead. It actually broke that record pretty recently, so people are still spending money on it. It might not be the most popular game any more, but it's definitely not dead or dying.

Just checked its update out this morning (Minecraft for those unaware thats the most sold game ever, damn tablets and mobile phones) and the emergent gameplay, unique story building, range of enemy and passive ai, items and abolities and ways to manipulate the items that are there, makes a game that if you can get past block graphics and pretty poor hitboxes and not the best ai, but good enough to support the adventure/survival feeling, combined with all the games creative modes potential, has exponentially more replayability with the same expectation to have new experiences and encounters every time, as the worlds are procedural and infinite, and can be created infinitely.

There are 2 things i want to mention. The game has that overlaid potential for unique happenings, with the same core gameplay driving the entire thing. Same as SoT, just SoT has fewer procedural spawns, nodes, etc.

The other thing is that while games can be obviously similar and obviously wildly different as mentioned above, this isnt because of crafting.
    This is because of many things, like the graphics and physics style, etc, and as mentioned above by steve and implied in this post already, Minecraft and atlas are many things SoT will never be, and SoT is many things that they will never be.

By the very nature of that last statement, if rare sticks to their vision and adds crafting, it wont be similar to those other games. Im not saying that is as easy as making a game like gta with lock on aim and passive modes and then just start selling cars that can fly with rocket launchers with infinite ammo for real money. Terrible money hungry practices.

I was hoping rare was going to do right by us like they said they would.

• @sweltering-nick
    Disagree entirely with your thoughts.

• @closinghare208
    I agree the game has alot of awesome content, this was in reply to that dude.
    Also, more content is always a good thing :)

• @a-cranky-eskimo

"Your argument is just bad though lol.. again, even the action of fixing the ship is a basic form of cause and effect state change where an item is consumed."

Crafting is where several items are combined to create a new item... Not where "items are consumed", merely eating to heal would be considered crafting in that case, which is ridiculous.

My argument isn't bad, i'm simply taking the passage of time into account, and somehow this seems like a bad argument to you? wat...

Ya'll are making the crafting suggestion, on the premise that the game would never evolve or change beyond that point... That's just incredibly short-sighted. Try to have the foresight to predict what direction the game will go in if we add these suggestions.

Run it through a simulation in your head.

@a-cranky-eskimo

"Your argument is just bad though lol.. again, even the action of fixing the ship is a basic form of cause and effect state change where an item is consumed."

Crafting is where several items are combined to create a new item... Not where "items are consumed", merely eating to heal would be considered crafting in that case, which is ridiculous.

My argument isn't bad, i'm simply taking the passage of time into account, and somehow this seems like a bad argument to you? wat...

Ya'll are making the crafting suggestion, on the premise that the game would never evolve or change beyond that point... That's just incredibly short-sighted. Try to have the foresight to predict what direction the game will go in if we add these suggestions.

Run it through a simulation in your head.

Crafting has never been part of the gameplay or vision of the development of Sea of Thieves. The direction the game will evolve and change won't be with crafting in mind, and instead towards new and bigger areas with exploration/combat/puzzles/challenges but not with crafting.

โพสต์
การดู
28 จาก 43