Mimics

• Small chance that a collector chest can actually be a mimic (perhaps same spawn rate as chest of sorrow/rage).

The mimic is inactive until a player first tries to open it at which point it attacks the player and bites them for damage. The mimic will chase the player a certain distance before becoming inactive again, but it will aggro if a player gets close (no opening necessary). The mimic can be killed, but should have a strong amount of hit points to make it somewhat of a challenge.

The mimic can be fed raw or cooked meat items to make it become inactive for a certain amount of time so that it can be carried.

Sell mechanics: The mimic can be sold to the goldhoarder or the order of souls and is worth the amount of food (or mermaid gems - see below) that was fed to it. If the mimic is killed, then it would drop a gold pile equal to some lesser percentage (75%?) of what it has been fed.

A mimic that has been significantly damaged may be worth a smaller percentage overall when sold (down to the floor percentage suggested above).

Combat mechanics: The mimic can be fed 1 mermaid gem type to affect its aggressive behavior. In addition to biting players, it would "burp" the following affects:
    The mimic can still be fed meat items to calm it down even after being fed a gem

Blue mermaid gem - The mimic spits water (similar to bucket mechanic) in addition to biting attacks.
    Green mermaid gem - The mimic spits puke water (similar to bucket mechanic) in addition to biting attacks.
    Red mermaid gem - The mimic periodically spew flames (similar to Ashen Skull mechanic) in addition to biting attacks.

Hopefully, this could make the mimic both valuable as a way to stockpile food value if you're too lazy to cook and as a combat device.

Other miscellaneous mechanics to consider:

• The mimic can be harpooned. It can be held on a harpoon for QOL purposes if you don't want it biting you in the hold or don't have food to feed it.
    • It's bite can set off a gunpowder barrel.
    • The color of its eyes or mouth opening may reflect the mermaid gem color.
    • It can attack you in the water, but it cannot swim toward you.
    • It can damage NPCs, but NPCs can kill it to avoid abusing this feature.
    • It can kill and eat animals that get too close, if hungry.
    • When hungry/aggroed, it will chase the closest player/NPC/animal that gets close to it. It may jump off of a ship or rowboat if chasing an animal (shark near a rowboat?).
    • Will chase pets?
    Views
    just for funstory & loregeneral
  • @peeweerage

we had that idea long ago iirc, yeah for sure we had :D
    I'm a fan of Discworld and "Truhe" so yes a mimic chest attacking and/ or running would be awesome.

• I wanted to give any previous mimic ideas credit since I'm not the first. I also found this one via Google:

https://www.seaofthieves.com/community/forums/topic/111486/mimics

• @peeweerage

i made a "The Luggage" Pet suggestion once :D

https://www.seaofthieves.com/de/community/forums/topic/106796/pet-suggestions

• when did this turn into pokemon?

• @peeweerage

While I think your idea of being able to customize the mimic chest's abilities (such as breathing fire, spitting acid, etc.) is a bit much, your overall idea provided me with the inspiration for a treasure that converts existing treasure into a single format that would be accepted by one trading company. You can read that topic here.

• I would rather a "mimic" creature be a variant of normal chests, albeit with the caveat that you need to "kill" it before you can pick it up and cash it in.

Views
just for funstory & loregeneral
1 out of 7