Tall Tales are Terrible for Sea of Thieves, and Here's how to Fix it

• @ruigtand-nl go to arena

• @xix-zeno-xix

I just miss the enormous amounts of loot in tall tales every step of the way piling up making it exciting with pirates hunting and allies forming.. guess thats what i hoped for and like for excitement.. arena is something so different maybe if its just fleetbattle mode i would like it.. im overwhelmed by so many changes and crew not paying attention i think im out of balance a little xD

• @ruigtand-nl said in Tall Tales is Terrible for Sea of Thieves, and Here's how to Fix it:

@xix-zeno-xix

I just miss the enormous amounts of loot in tall tales every step of the way piling up making it exciting with pirates hunting and allies forming..

I'm not sure what you mean. Tall tales just came out a few days ago, I get what you mean by getting loot and it being exciting to have the risk of forming allies along with it but, I feel like you're exaggerating how long any of that has lasted and was going to last. As soon as this new update came out I said to myself "well this will probably be "Sea of Friends" for like a couple days.." and guess what, it did, and now we have a huge uproar of ppl apparently not expecting that to end quickly.

The same thing happened when the "Hungering One" came out too. First 2 days was super friendly, then following after that day, complete betrayal upon others and ever since then, we've had ppl complaining about the same God forsaken thing, over and over again.

guess thats what i hoped for and like for excitement..

Just keep trying and maybe next time when you get in the game be much more aggressive than you have before. Drink some energy drinks or something. Pump up your adrenaline enough to focus on being on point with defending and attacking.

arena is something so different maybe if its just fleetbattle mode i would like it..

They may come out with different game modes for arena in the future too, I would at least hope so, but ever since it's been implemented I still haven't tried it yet, cuz I'm still having fun plundering others loot in adventure mode while also completing accommodations along the way.

im overwhelmed by so many changes and crew not paying attention i think im out of balance a little xD

Well you're just like me then atm lol but I've been trying hard to keep up my awareness enough to support the entire team if I have to. It doesn't workout much of the time as much as I want it to but, i still have fun trying. :)

[EDIT] My quotation of you screwed up so I bolded your texts. My bad :)

• @xix-zeno-xix You're trying too hard to avoid the facts. Just face it, the game is less exciting without the risk/reward of losing/selling loot. For every type of player.

• @tart-tee Saying that 'Tall Tales' is terrible or 'dangerous' is hyperbole at best.

Giving the people that play Sea of Thieves varying ways to play is the exact opposite of terrible in my mind.

I have seen nothing but praise (apart from the usual few odd ducks) for the way that Sea of Thieves is progressing, with Tall Tales being a frequent given reason.

If you want loot, get it....if you can't find someone else's to steal...do a voyage and find it!

If you just want the thrill of the fight, hit The Arena!

There is always loot out there and available to you....just need to find and get it!

You just seem to want someone else to do the work first...

• @triheadedmonkey So, I've been sailing the seas daily for 6+ hours sinking every ship I see and hopping. I've made pennies best thing I've found is a mermaids gem. I've ruined dozens of peoples quests, just to watch them go offline after I sink them with their tall tales loot. Not one person on an Athena.

This isn't giving people varying ways to play, it's removing a playstyle from the game. I don't want to do voyages, lol. I don't want the thrill of the fight in the Arena. I want to THIEVE in Sea of Thieves. Did you even read the post? You are giving me solutions that don't relate to the problem.

The only thing you got right: "You just seem to want someone else to do the work first..."

While that's not really true because it's harder and more skill dependent to steal loot, yes, that is part of the fun.

• @tart-tee said in Tall Tales is Terrible for Sea of Thieves, and Here's how to Fix it:

@xix-zeno-xix You're trying too hard to avoid the facts. Just face it, the game is less exciting without the risk/reward of losing/selling loot. For every type of player.

I'm not sure what you're point here is, I didnt even say it was "exciting without risks" at all. In fact, if anything, I agree with you. I'm not avoiding facts either and not sure where you got that from but I will.say this however, the fact is that so far every game I've gotten into the last couple of days we had ppl left and right coming to us to sabotage our hard work and it was fun defending them off as well as our ship sinking. So I dont know why so many ppl feel that the game isn't exciting anymore bcuz I'm more than certain it is. The lvl of how much ppl that play the game are still there, ppl practice pvp through arena and then join back into adventure mode to test their skills, I was doing just that a moment ago before I picked up my phone.

• @xix-zeno-xix

I am replying to these parts:
    Just keep trying and maybe next time when you get in the game be much more aggressive than you have before. Drink some energy drinks or something. Pump up your adrenaline enough to focus on being on point with defending and attacking.

• @tart-tee well then I should've probably added on that searching for servers with ppl being aggressive is also not hard to find either. It pretty much still feels the same to me as it always has. Maybe I'm just getting "lucky" with joining servers that are aggressive idk.

I meant to tell him to keep trying to search for different servers if you find every one you join is lackluster in combat. (not to mention he didnt even say how long he spends in his servers before feeling like it's boring somehow) idk how anybody finds it boring they stuck in an arena game mode for those that didnt want to do the new voyages just yet and instead play there while there are some that expected the sea to have friendly bonds all around and some who didnt care about either and did whatever they could to get loot and sink others for the pure sport of piracy.

There isn't anything wrong with how the new update works. (besides technical issues) People just need to pull their heads out their chimneys and come to their senses to realize that Rare has been working this to answer a lot of problems and suggestions and I feel they've done a great job so far.

• @Tart-Tee
    The Tall tales are a story line, the Loot obtained during the Tale is only useful to an individual doing the Tale to advance to the final Tale. No merchant wants to mess with the cursed objects related to the Tales hence why they will not buy them. The real loot is in the Shores of Gold. Also you should always check the food barrels for treasures of the sea before allowing a ship to sink. Never know what Gems maybe hidden there.

• @tart-tee I did, you just missed the joke 🤣

• @m1sterpunch now see I agree with most of what you said, but the problem is, if you’re like me and you don’t have a lot of friends who play SoT, you have no choice but to solo these quests. That’s fine, I’ve been playing for some time now and I’d like to consider myself a decent player. The problem comes when you’re soloing a tall tail and there’s a ship camping on the island that you need to go to (happened to me when I tried the tall tale for the first time today). I’d call myself an expert at avoiding other ships and being cautious, but that can only do you so much when there’s a brig babysitting the island you need to be on.

• I see where you’re coming from, that feeling like you’re wasting your time, but I don’t think adding loot to tall tales is the right way to solve this problem.

I know you’re going to tell me to get over myself and to “get gud” but to be quite honest, I have a life. I have school, and work, and I don’t have the opportunity to sit down for twelve hours and grind out some quests. Just today I spent an hour working on the first tall tale (alone) just to get to the end and have a brigantine babysitting the island I needed to do the quest on. I actually saw the pirate legend sails before in an earlier step of the quest but they seemed to go away so I didn’t bother to worry. I’m not bad at the game by any means, and I did as much as I could, being a solo player. I hid my treasure on a rowboat and snuck around the other side of the island, but they found me and killed me and stole my quest items. So now I just wasted my time because someone with that “sink on sight” mindset decided to grief me. 

Granted, I play solo about 85% of the time, so it’s extra hard for me to do these things but the idea still makes sense. The problem isn’t that the questers don’t have loot, it’s that you’re attacking and griefing questers. If you hung out around a skeleton fort you would find those things you see at skeleton forts, but the only way you’re finding so many empty quest ships is if you’re looking for ships in places that quest items are located. I don’t think it’s the game’s fault for finally adding a PvE function, maybe you just aren’t looking in the right place.

I disagree with your idea of adding more loot to the tall tales because if you got what you wanted, the entire PvE aspect of the game would be unplayable. If everyone knew that whoever was doing a quest would have a ton of loot on them, people would be swarming the quest islands just to grief players who want to play PvE. If anything, instead of incentivizing camping and griefing (like you suggest by adding loot to tall tales) they should be deterring people from attacking questers, helping both groups do what they want without either one being upset. How Rare would do that, I don’t know, but there are options. Maybe make it so that quest items can’t be stolen and are effectively useless to other crews, BUT ALSO make it easy to tell who’s going on PvE tall tale quests to prevent your issue of sinking a ship, just to find out that they had no loot because they were on a quest.  It seems like you don’t want to find ships on tall tales, and they don’t want to find you, so making it easy to tell who’s who while deterring the griefing would be the best idea to make both sides happy. That way, people like you can single out ships who aren’t doing tall tales, while people like me can finish those tall tales in *relative* safety (because I understand that the fear of being attacked is part of the game)

• I just started back up on SoT a few weeks ago, I don't feel like 3k is worth the time to do the tall tales. They could make the end of a quest's item worth something for griefers and made value of it 3k.

I just played with the most unresponsive crew that just fished the entire time, while I did most of the quest.... they helped with a boss, but i was running the sails, and steering the ship, and solving the riddles. Maybe if it paid better or a griefer came to kill their lazy errors from time to time, they would have had more incentive to cooperate like a decent crew.

I wish there was an in-game mechanic to where someone could be captain. I'd've made all o' 'em scallywags walk the plank!

• @tart-tee

• @tart-tee Hi, I posted a similar post 3 days ago titles "Relics need fair value". I agree with what you're saying except for the fact that you called sinking ships on Tall Tales voyages "griefing". Attaining loot and supplies is not griefing. It's playing the game in a way we enjoy. If we use the Relics for nothing more than to decorate our ships that's our choice. It's not "griefing" or "toxic". If you don't want to lose a relic then defend your ship. It's that simple! If you do lose a relic don't be so shallow you start calling your aggressors "toxic" for it might be the way that crew enjoys playing the game. It'd be like them calling you an "inept pirate" for not defending your ship. Peace

• @tart-tee Tall tales aren't supposed to be a lucrative or mainstream gold farming option, it's just a story mode, that sets up the lore of the SoT fantasy universe. As the pirate lord says when tall tale 9 is finished "Don't do it for the gold, do it for the glory!". :P

• Rare intentionally put No Loot in Tall Tales to discourage PvP during these dialog based story adventures. While at the same time bringing out Arena to encourage PvP.

I'm not saying "Go play Arena". But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Rare introduced both these new features to please as much of the community as possible.

Just be thankful that they didn't remove PvP from Tall Tales entirely.

• This is not meant disrespectfully, however to me this post reeks of 'Lazy pirate'.

Maybe you need to 'vet' the ships you want to attack, wait near the skull Fort for the ship to finish it as an example instead of saying rare should just up all loot drops from tall tales to suit your personal choice.

The arena is there for PvP, there's the non PvP options for money if you need it, or just accept you can't get a huge payout whenever you sink a ship.

• @japollo-93 yeah I agree people will move on from arena and tall tales and go back to skull forts and Athenas those are the people I target more if I find someone on a tall tale only I usually just leave them alone not in my interstate wasting the time to take their quest items unless they have they gold hoarder skull

• @viperishemu2992 Once again, defend your ship and if you can't do that then hide your relics when you leave your ship. Play smart! Don't misconstrue RARE's intentions. It's an open world out there and pirates will be pirates! Stay vigilante

• Yea no, Tall Tales is awesome and great for the game, has brought a lot of players to the game. In no way should rare do anything to encourage people to #$%& with it by giving them more incentive to camp those players, steal Tall Tale relics ect.

Suck it up buttercups and make your own loot, there is no loot shortage, you're just sad that you cant take it from someone else.

Pick up a shovel, do forts and skelly fleets because they are being ignored for Tall Tales now. Want loot, stop crying and make your own, its not ONLY a pvp game, despite your intention to only play it as such.

• @duke-of-spire said in Tall Tales is Terrible for Sea of Thieves, and Here's how to Fix it:

@viperishemu2992 Once again, defend your ship and if you can't do that then hide your relics when you leave your ship. Play smart! Don't misconstrue RARE's intentions. It's an open world out there and pirates will be pirates! Stay vigilante

Was this message supposed to be to me? I don't understand why you are giving me advice on how to play? Believe me, I am one of the last players who needs any.

My post on this thread was pointing out that Rare intentionally left the chance of Stealing Loot out of Tall Tales to discourage PvP. Not to eliminate it. In the same way that they encourage PvP in Arena but don't require it. (You can still win just digging up chests and selling them)

Yes it is an open world. Rare's core philosophy has always been to give players the ability to "create their own adventure". But this doesn't mean that they don't try to influence their decisions.

Ergo, the way Loot is handled in Tall Tales. Totally thought out and and intended to be this way by the Devs.

• @tart-tee They can be stolen. I had my totem stolen and caught up with the scoundrels at crooks hollow trying to complete the story.
    So... they can be stolen.

• @duke-of-spire said in Tall Tales is Terrible for Sea of Thieves, and Here's how to Fix it:

@tart-tee Hi, I posted a similar post 3 days ago titles "Relics need fair value". I agree with what you're saying except for the fact that you called sinking ships on Tall Tales voyages "griefing". Attaining loot and supplies is not griefing. It's playing the game in a way we enjoy. If we use the Relics for nothing more than to decorate our ships that's our choice. It's not "griefing" or "toxic". If you don't want to lose a relic then defend your ship. It's that simple! If you do lose a relic don't be so shallow you start calling your aggressors "toxic" for it might be the way that crew enjoys playing the game. It'd be like them calling you an "inept pirate" for not defending your ship. Peace

Nah, its griefing, the thin veil of what you do with the loot that has no actual value doesn't really change that "playing the way you enjoy" is about deriving that enjoyment from ruining others enjoyment. You absolutely can decorate your ship with tall tale relics that you cant sell, but at least be honest about why youre doing it.

• @natiredgals Quit attempting to convince people that there is some unspoken rule concerning attacks on those running Tall Tales. It doesn't exist! Just because a ship is running Tall Tales doesn't mean it doesn't have worth to those who sink them. Whether it's to resupply, steal fish and gems, or simply strategic positioning, in the end if it is done within the guidelines of the "Pirate Code" it is "not" griefing! Your use of the terms "griefing and toxic" are strewn about in several posts throughout these forums. It's sad that your obvious inadequacies in defending your ship and the belongings on it have skewed your vision of what this game is. The relics, gems, chests, fish, skulls, bone dust, etc... Are all up for grabs until they get turned in or used. If it angers you that your relic got stolen then go get it back, or do a better job of stashing it somewhere or quit the server to make room for a victim worth killing. In the end it's not what happens in your life on the seas that counts , it's how you react to what happens. How are you reacting? Think about it.

@natiredgals Quit attempting to convince people that there is some unspoken rule concerning attacks on those running Tall Tales. It doesn't exist! Just because a ship is running Tall Tales doesn't mean it doesn't have worth to those who sink them. Whether it's to resupply, steal fish and gems, or simply strategic positioning, in the end if it is done within the guidelines of the "Pirate Code" it is "not" griefing! Your use of the terms "griefing and toxic" are strewn about in several posts throughout these forums. It's sad that your obvious inadequacies in defending your ship and the belongings on it have skewed your vision of what this game is. The relics, gems, chests, fish, skulls, bone dust, etc... Are all up for grabs until they get turned in or used. If it angers you that your relic got stolen then go get it back, or do a better job of stashing it somewhere or quit the server to make room for a victim worth killing. In the end it's not what happens in your life on the seas that counts , it's how you react to what happens. How are you reacting? Think about it.

I'm not trying to convince people of anything. I'm simply stating my opinion on the matter. I never said there was any rule, but then some people don't need rules to tell them how to be decent people. (incoming PIRATE IN ALL CAPS!!! argument, lol.)

You make assumptions that I've had relics stolen, thats not true. I've always managed to prevent having things stolen, I'm not reacting to having any relics stolen. I'm not reacting to anything but the very bad idea of incentivizing people who arent griefers to camp Tall Tale locations.

I never said toxic, I said griefing. And it is griefing to steal items that are not of any value to you in the game. Make all the excuses you want there's a very obvious reason the relics arent something you can cell.

Again, not reacting. Opining that anyone who would brag about taking relics that cant benefit them in the game is braging about greifing now matter how much window dressing they put on it.

• @viperishemu2992 You must have been the last post before I replied. My message was for everyone not directed solely to you. It is merely a suggestion for those struggling to finish voyages.

@viperishemu2992 You must have been the last post before I replied. My message was for everyone not directed solely to you. It is merely a suggestion for those struggling to finish voyages.

Okay, sorry. I was confused by the response.

But you are right. Taking your chest full of relics and totems with you when you go ashore is definitely a Great Tip. Just stash it somewhere out of sight.

Another good tip: When doing Tall Tales your Ship is pretty expendable. I don't even bother with random loot or stocking up on supplies just for this reason. If someone is harassing me I will "ghost" sailing my Ship away from the island where I am busy. You can always mermaid to it or get a new Ship later and return for your chest of relics and totems. And it leads them away so you can do the puzzles in peace.

• @natiredgals Throughout your many posts concerning this subject your collective views and what's caused them are "implied? You constantly refer to stealing a relic as "griefing" and your view of pvp'ers not embarking on their own voyages, attacking forts, or killing Megs, Krakens & Skelly ships is shallow at best. You see we do all of those things along with plundering the weak, feeble, yellow bellied, imposters that call themselves pirates!😀 Those we plunder and sink provide us with many necessities to continue on our prosperous voyages. We take no more pride in looting a ship than we do stealing a fort key or killing a Kraken. It's all part of the pandemonium. In other words, We're plundering for our needs and could care less how our actions affect those we engage. It matters not! Until a stolen relic gains value we'll proudly display them on our bow sprit.

@natiredgals Throughout your many posts concerning this subject your collective views and what's caused them are "implied? You constantly refer to stealing a relic as "griefing" and your view of pvp'ers not embarking on their own voyages, attacking forts, or killing Megs, Krakens & Skelly ships is shallow at best. You see we do all of those things along with plundering the weak, feeble, yellow bellied, imposters that call themselves pirates!😀 Those we plunder and sink provide us with many necessities to continue on our prosperous voyages. We take no more pride in looting a ship than we do stealing a fort key or killing a Kraken. It's all part of the pandemonium. In other words, We're plundering for our needs and could care less how our actions affect those we engage. It matters not! Until a stolen relic gains value we'll proudly display them on our bow sprit.

More window dressing. You're not a pirate. lol. You're playing a pirate game. And you can play-act all you want, but its all just making excuses and rationalizing why you'd "steal" something of no value.

Relics wont gain cash value, Rare isn't going to encourage non griefers to ruin tall tales for other people. And you can go ahead and still steal relics and get your jollies knowing you're wasting other peoples time, but no matter how much window dressing you put on it, you're just griefing.

• "Mommy, daddy... where does loot come from?"

"Well, you see little pirate, when two people love loot very much, they go out to an island..."

• @natiredgals You're entitled to your opinion. Yes it is a "pirate" game and has many elements that support a pirate game structure. A have a few questions for you.

1. At what point would you consider plundering a ship doing Tall Tales "not" griefing?
      If it had one gem 💎 on it? Two gems 💎 💎 ? A Castaway Chest? 25 bananas 🍌? 40 cannonballs?
      At what point is it "not" griefing?
    2. After you've answered the first question tell my why then are you so sympathetic to the pve only cause?
    3. Do you think crews doing Tall Tales should maybe just put up a white flag and give away their loot and supplies?
      I've told several crews doing Tall Tales "We're here for your loot and supplies"!
    4. How many of those crews that we approached do you think willingly gave up their loot? I'll answer this question for you. None!
    5. So if a crew tries to defend their ship would it still be considered griefing?
    6. Would it be fair to say that the price for the crews insubordinate response to our request would be that after we kill them they would have to start their mission over?
    7. Lastly, would it be all right for us to sink them if we have a mission on the same island or would that be "griefing" also?

@natiredgals You're entitled to your opinion. Yes it is a "pirate" game and has many elements that support a pirate game structure. A have a few questions for you.

1. At what point would you consider plundering a ship doing Tall Tales "not" griefing?
      If it had one gem 💎 on it? Two gems 💎 💎 ? A Castaway Chest? 25 bananas 🍌? 40 cannonballs?
      At what point is it "not" griefing?
    2. After you've answered the first question tell my why then are you so sympathetic to the pve only cause?
    3. Do you think crews doing Tall Tales should maybe just put up a white flag and give away their loot and supplies?
      I've told several crews doing Tall Tales "We're here for your loot and supplies"!
    4. How many of those crews that we approached do you think willingly gave up their loot? I'll answer this question for you. None!
    5. So if a crew tries to defend their ship would it still be considered griefing?
    6. Would it be fair to say that the price for the crews insubordinate response to our request would be that after we kill them they would have to start their mission over?
    7. Lastly, would it be all right for us to sink them if we have a mission on the same island or would that be "griefing" also?
    1. When a ship doing Tall Tales attacks another ship or player all bets are off, if one attacked me I'd sink them, and take what is of value to me. This woudln't include any Tall Tale relics because there's no gain to me for having them.

2. I'm not. I don't want pve only servers. I like pvp. I just don't like griefers, and I've little patience for the hurr durr "I'm a real pirate." thing.

3. No? I mean from my point of view they wouldn't need to because if they are quite obviously doing Tall Tales I have enough respect for the devs work to let them enjoy it and find my kicks elsewhere.

4. You answered your own question here, so uh I'll just let that be I guess.

5. If they're defending, it means you're attacking, and if you're attacking a ship that's obviously doing Tall Tales, knowing that you dont really stand to gain much. (supplies...lol, those can be gotten all over the place without expending any to do so) then you're probably griefing.

6. Would it? I mean is it your place to decide if their time gets wasted? I don't think its mine, and as above I respect the work the devs put into the Tales to just let people enjoy them without demanding they pay some price of killing me (instead of me killing them) lol.

7. Would it be all right if you didn't sink them? What if you had the courage to just roll up and chance them having the upper hand if they attack first, because if you had the sack to do that, then you'd be totally in the clear, if you were good enough to survive it...

I've humored you because i'm bored at work, but it sounds like you're getting confused, sinking isnt griefing, pvp isnt griefing, but if you need to be told what it is, you're probably doing it.

• @natiredgals And there you go folks! Not one response was relative to the questions. Merely deflection! The way you see it if people attack anyone doing Tall Tales it's griefing but it's not griefing if someone doing Tall Tales attacks you. Got it. Your posts are no longer relative in my eyes due to your tunnel vision and inability to answer simple questions. Also your penchant for hiding behind your "developers work" claim will never hold water. The developers could have easily changed the design of Tall Tales to simply work as the " ships logs" do where there are no objects to steal. They didn't! They chose to put chalices, spy glasses, skulls & such in the game knowing they could get stolen. Good day to you.

Postagens
Visualizações
89 de 142